29plus Tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BrokeBikeMountain

29plus Tyres

Post by BrokeBikeMountain »

My Bontrager Chupacabra/Xr2 29x3.0 are coming to the end of their life.
They have never let me down, however I haven't given them a good Lake District gnar test.
However I have sliced the sidewall on a 29x3.0
xr4, which is the same carcass, braying down HP Plantation at PostieRiches South Lakes Bike Fest last year.
Incidentally, I have never destroyed any other Bontrager tyres in the Lakes, can't say the same for Maxxis or Spesh.
The Chupcabra has quite wide spaced knobs, and a lot of exposed carcass between, rolls well, great grip, just looks a bit fragile.
Not having heard about the 550 yet this year, but still thinking of getting new tyres for it, what's peoples thoughts?
Chronicle seems to look the part.
Mart

Re: 29plus Tyres

Post by Mart »

Ive found my Bombolini's to be far superior to the Knard that it replaced (plus up front). Not had any problems from it at all run tubeless
Not tried any other makes to be able to comment further
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Chronicle hasn't given me any trouble. Roll fast enough, plenty of grip in most conditions and the sidewalls seem up to the task ... very nice profile on a decent sized rim too (40mm or above).
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Do bontrager do the tyres in the SE edition? If so, could be right for you
BrokeBikeMountain

Post by BrokeBikeMountain »

voodoo_simon wrote:Do bontrager do the tyres in the SE edition? If so, could be right for you
No. I run a se5 27.5 on my hardtail, and se4 29x3 on Full Stache, however the SE carcass is only available on the higher number (ie gnarlier tread) tyres.

But good shout, as they are tough old carcasses
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

On a wide rim (49mm internal) I've run:
Vee Trax Fatty: poor grip in the clag. Fast and light(relative to size)
Chronicle: great alrounder. Dealt with Lakeland rock well, lacking bite in Devon muck
Dirt Wizards: surprisingly good around. Not too slow (relative to size) on the road. Great grip in the gloop we get on the Devon moors in winter.

My go to is fit the Chronicles in spring use through to Nov/Dec then switch to Dirt Wizzard. This year I switched to Dirt Wizards for BB200 and didn't regret it.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
postierich

Post by postierich »

Dirt Wizards for the win :-)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've run a chronicle up front before now but have no other plus tyre experience to compare. They are based on the Ikon tread pattern which I've used for the HT550 (in Exo varient) so they would be ideal in a dryish year. TBF there's so much estate track and road on the HT that a fast rolling tyre is worth going with anyway.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve used Knards and Chronicles. Prefer the latter and use them year round on rock, grass and gloop with no dramas (that I could reasonably blame on a tyre).
postierich

Post by postierich »

Sorry Dirt Wizards for Lakeland Rock cannot go wrong with WTB Ranger tough tyres for big rides they are a fair price and not to heavy
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

WTB Ranger tough tyres for big rides
Do they do a Ranger in 29+?
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Stu, they do and they were going for ~£25 on Wiggle a few weeks back. Not sure if they have any left or not, but seemed a good price I thought.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Chronicles seem to be a good all rounder and pretty bombproof. They both grip and roll well so a good all rounder choice if you don't mind a few more grams. The ranger tough is heavier but got a good review in Bikepacker.

However I'm on my 4th pair of chupas and they are still my fav all rounder as well as being a good chunk lighter than the chronicles. I've never managed to rip one (yet) despite mucho rock bashing. Also worth giving a set of minions a go as the grip is bloody amazing, getting into bud and lou territory....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cheers Mark ... I see they still have some :wink: