Revelation X Quilt

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Revelation X Quilt

Post by Dan_K »

This is aimed at Stu really but anyone else is free to chip in if they want.

So, these quilts caught my eye and I think I'll put in an order when I get paid.

Stu, have you used it yet? If so, what do you think?

I figure for the weight and price, I'm best to go for the biggest fill but is a wide necessary over a regular?

What was the delivery time?

I was tempted by an Alpkit. PD800 but they're out of stock and more expensive plus I get claustrophobic in a sleeping bag hood.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Revelation X Quilt

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh yes it's been used in anger and it's great. Mine is rated to 0F and has a 30% overfill on top of that, so in theory should be good to -20C. The loft is amazing ... it actually looks like there's someone under it all the time :shock:

What I would say is ... outside of deepest winter it might be a little too much so maybe consider a slightly lower rating. Go with the overfill regardless of temp rating as it helps stop the down migrating through the baffles, it's nothing a little shake won't sort out though.

I think the wide option is worth it as it gives you plenty of insulation to wrap yourself up in for very little added weight/bulk.

Delivery time was something like 2-3 weeks door to door.

I'm sure Pedalhead will be along and let you know about his too. ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I talked to Mat at ukhammocks about (what I thought) was a bespoke uq / tq design rather like the Revelation. He told me it was a standard mod for £15. Took the wind right out of my sales ;)

The quilts I've had from him so far (summer TQ and full length, 350g fill UQ) have been great. Might be worth a look? The info on the site can be a bit patchy but he's a very helpful guy if you email / call.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

Yep very pleased with my RevelationX quilt, particularly for the price. I'm a quilt newbie but now I've used one can definitely see the attraction. Mine's not quite the uber-winter version that Stu went for...although it is still rated to -12c! I can well believe it too. I've used it at around zero C and it was super toasty, so even at this fill level I'd say it's a winter-only item for me. I went for the wide version, and very glad I did. As a side sleeper I found it was wide enough to tuck in both sides...I suspect the regular one may not have been, and the last thing you want at the kind of temps these are rated to is a draught around the edges of your quilt.

I would agree with what Stu says about the fill though...mine is the non-overstuffed version and the fill can move about a bit. No big deal as it's easy enough to remedy, but if that might irritate you then go for the overstuffed version.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks for the info guys.
Will take a look at UK Hammocks but unless they look amazing or are ridiculously cheaper, i'll opt for the Revelation in the less extreme Pedalhead -12c guise.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Ordered today. Woo! Went for the 10 degrees F version in wide with 30% overfill.
Did look at Uk hammocks but the price difference wasn't huge and I like the style of the Revelation.

Quick question, does it come with a stuff sack?
What size dry bag will it fit in?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Quick question, does it come with a stuff sack?
No
What size dry bag will it fit in?
I've just been sticking mine in a 13l along with my bivvy bag, pillow, mat and jacket.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I am sorely tempted although I'm struggling with deciding (Fareheit ratings confuse me) and then what increase the over-stuff will give me and not wanting to double up with my existing gear.

Go for a 10 and overstuff for the "as-cold-as-I'm-likely-to-be-out-in" conditions?

A 20 is probably too close to what I have (but then it's double gear to take the boy out in :?) and I really like that I can use it as a TQ or UQ.

A 30 is probably a bit light / not warm enough, although I wonder as hammocking is tending to be much warmer than I imagined.

Would a 30 overstuff fill the "imaginary" hole in my copious selection of gear I wonder.

D'oh! :roll:
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks Stu.

CM I went for the 10 degrees F which is -12 degrees c so as likely as I will experience here or when i take it trekking in Iceland next summer. The 30% overfill will just add to that I reckon and for both winter bivvying here and in Iceland next year, i'll have a down jacket anyway or Primaloft smock so could always sleep in that if things got ridiculous.

Inc shipping Paypal took £167 from me, although we'll see if I get lucky with the duty..... I deserve it after getting stung for my Tarptent.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Xmas pressie to myself: 20 degree quilt, over stuffed, in lime and black. Wide and tapered for a 6 footer (as if ;) )

Giddy :lol:

Lets hope the taxman doesn't read BBBP.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Xmas pressie to myself: 20 degree quilt, over stuffed, in lime and black. Wide and tapered for a 6 footer (as if ;) )

Giddy :lol:

Lets hope the taxman doesn't read BBBP.
Very nice! I'm still waiting for mine. Should be here any day now I hope!

Hoping I get lucky with the duty...... Looking forward to using it in January.