Gear ... what's impressed you this year?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Gear ... what's impressed you this year?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What items have you used this year that have impressed you?

Could be ease of use, price or something else. Although I'm sure there's others, the items that have left their mark for me are:

MLD Trailstar ... room for weight ratio is truly impressive.

Exped synmat UL7 ... at last a mat I don't roll off. Also very warm for the weight.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Stevemorg

Re: Gear ... what's impressed you this year?

Post by Stevemorg »

Wildcat kit - much better than the other stuff I tried

Lux Mini Peak tent - only cost me £83 - a great pyramid tent for the money

Still loving my Rab bags - a summer Quantum 300 and a winter Ladak 850 but can't wait to try out my inbound PHD Minim 400
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I think I'm going to have to agree with you.

I was a bit sceptical at first about the Trailstar but having used it in the Beacons in strong winds, it didn't shift one bit. We also had four bodies in there, admittedly not sleeping but 4 people taking shelter from the winds was impressive.

I've only given my Exped downmat a living room test as I'm not allowed it for another three weeks but from first impressions it's better than a neoair for warmth and comfort however the neoair still wins on pack size and weight.

Mountain lion and Tiger score highly too.
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

flatfishy wrote:
I've only given my Exped downmat a living room test as I'm not allowed it for another three weeks but from first impressions it's better than a neoair for warmth and comfort however the neoair still wins on pack size and weight.
Does this mean you're selling your Neoair?
I’ve been abart a bit
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Lightweight summer mat it'll be used for.

Nice try though.
gairym

Post by gairym »

things that've impressed this year:

- all of my Wildcat gear!

- my Rab 'Infinity' jacket.

- Mountain Hardwear 'Spectre SL20' sleeping bag.

- Inov8 'Roclite 295' fell-running shoes for riding (flat pedals only).

- Six Moons Designs 'Skyscape Scout' tent.

loads of other bits have performed above expectation but those are the items that have really made the difference.
pedalhead

Post by pedalhead »

-- My custom Wildcat frame bag has been a revelation (no pun intended!), allowing me to ride without a backpack & still have lots of packing space, whilst also saving weight. Definitely the one single item that's changed my riding for the better the most this year, and other than for circuit races it stays on the bike all the time.

-- Ergon GP1 grips. After trying the GX1s for a while & realising they were a bit small for my hands, I now use the larger GP1 (in cork flavour) & the comfort is magical. Definitely makes a difference on long rides, and means I no longer even use gloves unless it's cold.

-- Enlightened Revelation X quilt. I've only used it twice, but one of those nights was around freezing and the quilt felt extremely toasty. I'm confident it's good for the quoted -12c rating, and for around £150 delivered I think it's a proper bargain.

-- Borah Bivy. Bit cheeky this one as I haven't actually used it yet! But...$95USD delivered for a spacious and breathable bivy bag that packs down tiny & is still very light...bargain!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Alpkit Ti Mug is a firm favourite, simple, cheap, does-what-it-says-on-the-tin, perfect* size. It just sits around all made up with a ti stove (another wee favourite) and all the makings such that I don't have to think about stoves, fuel etc etc. Great grab-it-and-go sort of set up.

In the same vein platypus bladders - simple, cheap, light and one of the few containers that doesn't seem to taint given my infrequent / poor gear use. Not exactly new but having got into going back out more frequently I've kinda re-discovered them again.

Ukhammocks underquilt (bespoke version being full length and 350g of vaguely exciting power downfill). Just fantastically warm, comfy and easy to use (including the diddy quilt clips). Coming from a secondhand supershelter from FF (which was fine TBH) it's just a whole leap of nice and easiness. Mat was incredibly helpful and nice to deal with as well.

Dyneema cord (Zing It or Stein Line). Hardly new to many people but it's just such great, versatile stuff. Much more convenient and handleable than climbing tat (which is what I had before), I'm sad enough to enjoy splicing and buries etc, strong, durable and light.

Silver bubble wrap for all your needs (pot cosy, windshield cover, trangia pan liner etc etc. It's just great stuff.

* totally subjective
Cornish Neil

Post by Cornish Neil »

Impressed (for cost) with Alpkit delta tent

Neoair cos its just so light

Looking forward to receiving my phd minim 300 bag too...
Time would be better spent getting the miles in instead of fretting about how many ml of meths to carry...
Singlespeedpunk

Post by Singlespeedpunk »

Drinksafe-systems.co.uk - in-line filter for camelbak bladders. Kept the wife and I healthy through 3 weeks in Nepal where the tap and river water is all weapons-grade!

Cactus Climbing Equipment - Super Trousers. 12oz polycotton canvas trousers, take ages to wear in but sooo nice and won't dissolve in a few years. The shorts were used by one of the round the world cyclists and after a wash he sent them back in perfect condition!

Goruck GR1 - only just got this but quality is amazing (as it should be) and the only rucksack that stays put WITHOUT belt or sternum strap :)

Source 3L Lowprofile bladder - Purchased with GR1, easy to clean, QR leak-proof hose and valve, covered tube to stop tunnel-fungus! Better shape and less of a "bulge" when full.

Alpkit Mission Pack - you never can have enough bags to keep kit sorted :)