Who's bailed?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Who's bailed?

Post by summittoppler »

So some of you must have bailed on an overnighter even though you're on the bike fully loaded. You know when the mojo/morale just isn't where you hoped it would be.

For me this happened yesterday. The bike loaded up, new sleeping bag ready to try out, the suns out and I'm on a favourite loop of mine. However as the weather forecast was very wet from the early hours I had doubt in my mind. I also forgot my rain jacket, D'oh! I also forgot my cash card on the way after putting fuel in my van D'oh! I struggled trying to pitch my mickey mouse tarp, D'oh! Any ways all these 'negatives' threw me last night and I ended up riding the complete loop and getting back to the van, driving home and then being kept awake by my 14 year old lad and his 7 mates having a sleepover!! Annoyed, gutted but a little relived as it was throwing it down this morning :wink:

So has it happened to you?

Here's a few pics of the loop...

Image20180825_192213 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20180825_184424 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20180825_155655 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

So have you had any fails?
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 6

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Richard G

Re: Who's bailed?

Post by Richard G »

Might it have been because you were carrying enough gear to get you through the month? :shock:

But yeah, I've done it, but usually only because of weather or injury.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Many times!

Once as I couldn’t settle in a North Wales bothy, felt haunted to me, so bailed.

Once in the peaks, Mrs Voodoo was on a girls night out but cancelled, so cut my walk short, hopped on the train to share a take out curry with her instead of sleeping out :lol:

Another when my new waterproof jacket turned out to be not-so-waterproof (that cut short the Welsh 3000ers!)

Another one on an expensive Finnish winter trip due to a multitude of issues but ultimately I wasn’t having fun!

Ermmm, I could go on...! :oops:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

A few times...first TD scratch was mechanical...second was bio-mechanical. XWA this year was another bio-mechanical.

Greetz

S.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Richard G wrote:Might it have been because you were carrying enough gear to get you through the month? :shock:

Well when on the shire horse I tend to load her up!
But tbh I do need to 'trim' back. I'm just used to taking this much, maybe its more bulky than the bling gear :oops:

Instagram:

YouTube:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

You've got Apidura bags on there so you're already pretty bling. :P
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yup, me too.

First time with a tarp tester over nighter in Cold February sleet and snow, but the fail was due to my guts failing and getting sick of racing out in the crap weather to drop my pants. Luckily not far from home, but still had to emergency stop twice on the way.

Second time was after getting up to camban bothy late at night with light snow from the Shield brig side. The next day we enjoyed the ride down Glen Affric, but were to buggered and psyched out to continue our planned route towards Fort Augustus so bailed and carried on to my mates house in cromarty.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep - the winter bivvy 2017. Snow and ice along the A9 meant I couldn't park where I wanted to and so had a much longer ride. The cycle path was knee-deep in soft snow so I ended up pushing the bike a few miles just to get to the start of the planned ride. I then figured that heading out cross-country, in the dark, in those conditions was simply foolhardy, so beat a retreat. scooted back down the A9 and went home. As a result, I've yet to meet some of our forum regulars.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Many times.
I have a life saying “don’t confuse desire and ability”
I’m tenacious, not stubborn. Tenacity and cake will only get me so far, then I think feck it
Was riding the pennine bridleway yesterday; absolutely brutal so dropped off and down to hebdon Bridge
Today was going to cut short (and stay at kettlewell YHA), but it was closed so had to ride to reeth. (Was always the intention to stay in a hostel tonight)
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

On the GDMBR in Colorado after riding with 3 days with a root canal infection (worse at altitude). Fell asleep from the pain on the side of the road. Awoke and first thing I saw was 3 vultures circling above me so thought **** this and hitched into Silverthorne and stayed a couple of days whilst saw a dentist. Later in New Mexico in Abiquiu after a really bad camera theft/recovery episode and terrible night staying at the place of some crazy called Wanda sleeping under a giant cross wrapped in barbed wire (Old Abiquiu B&B) I went on a downer for a few days which ended up in me taking a road detour, Meant I hadnt ridden the whole course :sad:

Last year doing the Capital trail I bailed half way round as just wasnt enjoying it. Went back this year and loved every minute despite being caught by Storm Hector towards the end (only time had to do so had to go for it) and getting a bit soaked :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I’ve never bailed on a night out, partly as they come around so infrequently that I ‘need’ them, and they’re arranged so far in advance that it’s hard to arrange another in its place - is just lose a night out. Changed plans due to the weather or other things, but the trip has always gone ahead

Doesn’t mean it won’t happen in future, just not yet...
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Me too! On a BAM night out, trying out a new underquilt for my hammock. Got all set up, made a cup of tea and sat down in the hammock to drink it. But hammock had other ideas and split in two, dropping me on my arris and my scalding hot tea all over my arms. Tea was extra hot 'cause made with milk powder. Nasty blisters on both forearms. No roll mat - sleeping on ground not an option. Nowt for it but to ride home in the dark with no lights.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Asposium wrote: Was riding the pennine bridleway yesterday; absolutely brutal so dropped off and down to hebdon Bridge
Today was going to cut short (and stay at kettlewell YHA), but it was closed so had to ride to reeth. (Was always the intention to stay in a hostel tonight)
The PBW isn't pleasant - we set off on a three day trip along it last year, bivvied near Saddleworth then on the second day it passes close to home so we just said "sod it". The section across to long Preston isn't nice either.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

I wouldn't use the word 'bail' but I frequently fail to spend the night outside whilst 'bikepacking'.

My rationale is that when I leave the house for a 'bikepacking' trip I am fully prepared, capable and willing should I need or choose to sleep out under the stars.

BUT.....I never leave on a trip determined (no matter the circumstances, weather or chance opportunity) to make myself sleep outside.

This (unconventional/unpopular?) attitude means that on multi-day trips I frequently spend about half of my nights in a cheap b&b or other building at night.

When I set off each morning I plan to sleep out, by lunchtime I'm still loosely onboard with the idea but I've begun dreaming of comfort and come evening I'm looking for any excuse to grab a room, with a bath, near to a nice pub/restaurant and I have zero spare sh1ts to give about purity or integrity.

Not trying to say all of this in order to claim that 'bikepacking' does not have to consist of sleeping out but I do believe that in all of the disciplines related to bikepacking (backpacking, alpinism, t0uring etc...) there's no stigma attached to making the most of cheeky b&b, refuge or other shelter and I've got no interest in being judged or pressured into feeling I have to sleep badly in a ditch in order to have successfully 'bikepacked'.

So to recap, yes, I've frequently gone out and NOT slept outside :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Jesus Gairy, you're blurring the lines between bikepacking and cycle touring with that kind of talk. Dangerous radical thinking there. Keep doing it. Anyone who thinks it matters needs to develop a sense of perspective ... or just feck off.

I try to get out twice a month, manage once if Im lucky, and bail every now and then, mostly because my circumstances mean I have to be local most of the time, and if I get the hump I will just give it up and go home.
Might it have been because you were carrying enough gear to get you through the month? :shock:
And that's balls as well. Take whatever the hell you like, be as comfortable as you wish to be. If you're not racing who gives a sheet.
I'm just going outside ...
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

The last two replies are perfect! Cheers guys :-bd
I'd love to be one of these types with ultralight kit on a kick ass bike riding 150 miles a day but I'm a normal guy who bimbles along trying to enjoy it :wink:

Instagram:

YouTube:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yep and always with a great excuse - I just couldn't be ars**d
The way I see it is who cares, long as its enjoyable
ton

Post by ton »

bailed on the jenn ride last year after 10 miles. i had to push the bike for a while offroad, which aggravated a already fubar hip. hip was replaced 2 month later, so bailing was ok :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

never bailed when i have turned up but I have declined to attend due to the adverse weather conditions .
psling

Post by psling »

Have distant memories of a very wet night in the Brecon Beacons many years ago when a hell of a storm hit us. We were in Vango Force 10s (cotton) and the storm water run-off was like a tsunami breaching the upstand of the groundsheets and flooding the tents.
We were bailing out with whatever came to hand! :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
gairym

Post by gairym »

TheBrownDog wrote:Jesus Gairy, you're blurring the lines between bikepacking and cycle touring with that kind of talk. Dangerous radical thinking there. Keep doing it. Anyone who thinks it matters needs to develop a sense of perspective ... or just feck off.
:-bd

I've always been a crazy rule breaker!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

summittoppler wrote:The last two replies are perfect! Cheers guys :-bd
I'd love to be one of these types with ultralight kit on a kick ass bike riding 150 miles a day but I'm a normal guy who bimbles along trying to enjoy it :wink:
Does that mean you've still not bagged 8/8 as yet? :shock:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

htrider wrote:Yep and always with a great excuse - I just couldn't be ars**d
The way I see it is who cares, long as its enjoyable
^^^ That.

I'd be very sceptical of anybody who point blank refuses to bail (or at least modify the plan), when the situation is really crap, and the only result of plodding on is several hours/days of misery.

Different if you are racing, and I'd be more inclined to try and salvage something from a ride I have invested a lot into (overseas / multi-day), but riding should be fun first, and I see nothing noble in suffering just for the sake of it...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'll be honest... unless I think I'm in danger, I'm sick, or something is broken, I'm not bailing.

It's how I've got through the BB200s. :lol:
Alexpalacefan

Post by Alexpalacefan »

Yep.

Bivvy spot sorted, just had to wait for dark, as it was pretty cheeky.

Got to the local pub, couldn't imagine having to stay in there for 5 min, let alone 3 hrs.

Necked pint and headed for home.

APF