Anker cell - thru-charge?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Anker cell - thru-charge?

Post by jameso »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCor ... ords=ANKER

Anker Powercore+ Mini - any idea if it through-charges? Hard to say from the spec and no reviews mention it. Need a small cache cell I can leave lined in to my USB-Werk and out to camera, GPS etc. 3350mAh for 82g seems OK if it does.

Any other recommendations? Thanks.
AlexGold

Re: Anker cell - thru-charge?

Post by AlexGold »

Just checked mine and it doesn't seem to!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Nope
I just bought two and had one to charge as the other was used for other things.

All the pass through batteries I've heard of have been fragile.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Chew wrote:Nope
I just bought two and had one to charge as the other was used for other things.

All the pass through batteries I've heard of have been fragile.
Yep, same experience here. A few of mine have died after regular use.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I've got a number of anker batteries and as soon as the Dynamo puts out power to the anker, the anker turns off power to my phone.

However I have some ravpower ones and they allow pass through charging.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Zendure is meant to but I can never really figure out whether it really does or doesn't. The bumph certainly states that they do.

Otherwise, a very nice piece of kit.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I use a Juice Cube as a pass through buffer battery to stop my gps having a funny turn at slow speeds. It stores 2000mAh measures 40mm cube and weighs 70g. It was a fiver from Maplins but they had very few left. I've just had a look online and they claim to have 1 in their shop in Brentwood which may be near you. The main benefit for me is it uses a mini usb input which works with my Kemo switch so I power my Revo as well. It's survived several thousand kms of rattling around on my gravel bike and is still going strong.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I've had Anker in the past, they used to support pass through then they changed the spec and they no longer do. I found them fragile.
I'm currently using a "Jackery" all their range support pass through and it lasted the C2C earlier in the year and is still running strong.
My Zendure supports pass through through the mains but not from my Dynamo.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Zendure is meant to but I can never really figure out whether it really does or doesn't. The bumph certainly states that they do.

Otherwise, a very nice piece of kit.

I have two work Ankers, neither do and a personal Zedure, its does. It's also very well made, has a brilliant little usb cable and bag and as such I have since bought a Zendure 4 port USB Charger.

It's much better than either of the Ankers, here is a link.

https://zendure.com/products/a3

It also works Fine with power from an E-Werk and the usb output of a B&M Luxos Light. I will be using it on the BB200.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Slight hijack but does anyone know if there's a pass through power bank which uses a mini usb as input port rather than micro or has mini become the betamax of usb standards?
landel

Post by landel »

+1 for the Zendure A3. Can thru charge. I was also using usb output of a B&M Luxos light.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

pistonbroke wrote:Slight hijack but does anyone know if there's a pass through power bank which uses a mini usb as input port rather than micro or has mini become the betamax of usb standards?
those Juice cube ones from maplins did. not sure how many there are left in stock these days.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Thanks Ian, I'm aware of the juice cube usb, I bought 2 when I was last in the UK. I'm using 1 on my gravel bike which works well on day rides at higher speed. I think 2000mAh might be a bit lacking on multi day mountainbike trips where I need to replenish the phone as well as keep the gps going at slower wheel speeds. I've looked on the Maplin website and there seems to only be about 6 left, strangely mainly in andvaround Sheffield. Ideally I'm after about 10,000mAh pass through and mini usb.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

pistonbroke wrote:Thanks Ian, I'm aware of the juice cube usb, I bought 2 when I was last in the UK. I'm using 1 on my gravel bike which works well on day rides at higher speed. I think 2000mAh might be a bit lacking on multi day mountainbike trips where I need to replenish the phone as well as keep the gps going at slower wheel speeds. I've looked on the Maplin website and there seems to only be about 6 left, strangely mainly in andvaround Sheffield. Ideally I'm after about 10,000mAh pass through and mini usb.

Could you not glue/tape a mini-micro adapter on to your cable and then use a Zendure or similar with micro usb input?

I have taped micro-lightening adapter onto some of my micro cables to use as iPhone cables. They have travelled hundreds of mile in all weather with zero issues.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That's my current (sic) solution with the Portapow that I have but the glue melted the case and now it's loose. I'd prefer to minimise the number of connections as its more to rattle loose. If I was more technically competent, I'd consider rewiring a micro usb plug onto the Kemo ourput wire but don't fancy buggering up the Kemo.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Sorry for the doofus question but when you talk about through charging what does this mean? That the cell s being charged at the same time as something is drawing power from it?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Exactly that
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That the cell s being charged at the same time as something is drawing power from it?
Yes, that's pretty much it Steven. Handy for those running something like a Garmin Edge ... dynamo > regulator > battery > gps

EDIT: beaten to it by 'fast fingers' Colin :wink:
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Ok, Cheers. So do most of these cells (powerbanks) have separate inputs and outputs?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So do most of these cells (powerbanks) have separate inputs and outputs?
Usually and often different sized connectors.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I see. I'm just figuring out some stuff and this thread seems relevant. I have one of the new Sinewave Beacon headlights which has a built in USB charger output but also an external power source input. So as far as I can tell I can attach 2 cables to the powerbank which will allow me to keep the cell charged while riding (the light has a switch to prioritise charging on lighting) but when I get to camp, I can detach the light but leave it attached to the powerbank and it'll just automagically keep working. I think.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That sounds like it should work Steven.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Useful, thanks for all the input. The Zendure A3 seems to be well rated but it's bigger than I'm after, 3350mAh and sub 100g was what appealed about the Anker. Flip 20 looks like a good compromise.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got the Zendure A2, a little heavier than 100g but plenty of capacity.

Just weighed it and it's 147g.