Any experiences of the Garmin eTrex Touch 35

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Any experiences of the Garmin eTrex Touch 35

Post by Karl »

Looking for a new GPS. I have a Garmin Dakota 20 but the unit is starting to play up and the screen is showing signs of wear (can't see the details that well) so time for a new one so any views on the Garmin eTrex Touch 35? Screen is the same size but looks clearer. Oregon is another option but is pricey. Views greatly received.
lune ranger

Re: Any experiences of the Garmin eTrex Touch 35

Post by lune ranger »

I tried to use an Oregon 650 as a bike GPS with disappointing results. The touchscreen did not like rain at all and had to be shut down when anything more than drizzle was encountered which in Devon is most days. Screen not so hot with gloves either. Compared to an Edge it was a let down. Chewed through batteries as well.
Ended up with a plain old eTrex 35 (not touch) for bike packing and kept the Edge for other stuff and am a lot more happy.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use an Oregon 600 all the time.

In Scotland :lol:

Cheap Amazon NIMHs give me two good days of riding (18-19 hours).

I much prefer the larger screen to the Dakota I had before, just as you can see much more of the map and that you can have more, legible, data fields.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've the Oregon 600. Got about 25hrs including 5hrs stopped on a bivy so effectively 20hrs battery life the other weekend on the Cairngorms Loop. This was with Duracell rechargeables. There's quite a few tips and tricks you can use to extend battery life, see this page - https://www.navigation-professionell.de ... -settings/

Not had any problems with the touch screen other than the menu buttons only seem to work when pressed with a finger of the right hand ~X(
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry