The joy of socks.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ctznsmith

The joy of socks.

Post by ctznsmith »

Where do I get cheap (multipack?) wool socks?

Thin and thick needed.

As hardwearing as possible.

The holes are winning.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: The joy of socks.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've had great success with the On-One Merino socks. Both in thick and thin - I put holes in them sooner or later but I'm pretty hard on socks and footwear in general ... summat to do with having feet like a Hobbit I assume.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

for cycling - MTB, road or CX - I only use Planet X / On-One thicky socks. Circa £10 for three pairs
psling

Post by psling »

I've used on-one merino socks; very good price and last reasonably well but...
I do love woollie boollies and am still getting good use out of them after several years which makes them excellent value in my books as well as being extremely comfortable.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thick - On One Thickys
Thin - for everyday wear, I buy "Green Treat" bamboo socks (OK, not wool) from TK Maxx - 7 pack for about £10
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I appreciate that these aren't bargains, but Woollie Boollies are great. I wear them year round.

How do any of the others mentioned here compare to them for fit, warmth and durability?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

AlasdairMc wrote:I appreciate that these aren't bargains, but Woollie Boollies are great. I wear them year round.

How do any of the others mentioned here compare to them for fit, warmth and durability?

I do like the on one/PX socks, especially due to the price. But prefer the WB ones for comfort, they are much tougher too. Not sure if the price vs toughness works out even, but I do prefer them.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Buy cheap, buy twice. I also love Woollie Boollies. 1 + year and still going strong.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I bought a 3 pack of On One thickys must be 5 years ago now. I don't wear them every day, but I haven't noticeably worn (as in "to wear out") any of them yet.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

You'll always find me in Defeet merino of some sort. I generally get a new pair of Woolie Boolie and Wooleators each year, rotating the 4 year old ones out to the bike rag tub. I get good mileage from them.

Greetz

S.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sh500-warm- ... 13153.html
these are good , get lots of wear out of them , and the lighter ones
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Give Ulvang a miss.
Probably the most uncomfortable sock I ever bought.
How can you get a sock so wrong?
Says its Merino feels like a pan scourer and there is a seam sticking in my big toe.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Can't find On-One merino socks where I'd usually think to look (Planet X) but from experience of what they do have I'd say avoid the temptingly cheap Planet X merinos as they're very thin, but the Carnacs are certainly good and worth the extra. Haven't tried the Carnac Primaloft Silk ones though, they are temptingly priced...
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

AlexGold wrote:Can't find On-One merino socks where I'd usually think to look (Planet X) but from experience of what they do have I'd say avoid the temptingly cheap Planet X merinos as they're very thin, but the Carnacs are certainly good and worth the extra. Haven't tried the Carnac Primaloft Silk ones though, they are temptingly priced...
Can't do a link (tablet) but if you type "socks" into the on one search bar it shows what they have at the moment, appears only the thick ones in stock, might get a few pairs with winter round the corner :o
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

On one thicky (Dennis the Menance style) - too hot for day2day wear for me but good on the bike and general use.

The thin versions (same colour scheme) - didn't wear well and I wouldn't get again.

On one merino socks (black) - superb as bed/bivi wear, seemed to be the sort of merino product that you put on and it warms almost straight away. Utterly shocking durability though and too hot for me on a daily basis. Now save them and only use as the clean set in a bivi.

Woolie Boolies - my merino ones shrank and went board stiff so wouldn't rate them or buy again, though it might have been operator error :oops:

Smartwool Men's PhD Outdoor Light Crew Socks - really nice, not cheap but have worn better than the On One / PX. Much better fit and construction. Dunno if still making though.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

PeterC wrote:
AlexGold wrote:Can't find On-One merino socks where I'd usually think to look (Planet X) but from experience of what they do have I'd say avoid the temptingly cheap Planet X merinos as they're very thin, but the Carnacs are certainly good and worth the extra. Haven't tried the Carnac Primaloft Silk ones though, they are temptingly priced...
Can't do a link (tablet) but if you type "socks" into the on one search bar it shows what they have at the moment, appears only the thick ones in stock, might get a few pairs with winter round the corner :o
If you mean the 'thick' planet x merino ones, either I got sent the wrong ones or they're so thin that they're virtually mesh! I can't tell them apart from my normal summer PX ones.....leading further weight to the theory that I got sent the wrong ones, tbh!