Maxxis tyres - which ones?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Maxxis tyres - which ones?

Post by slarge »

Having had a problem with my Racing Ralph in a couple of long rides recently (sidewall fail and puncture from stones), I have been looking around. Quite a few riders on the HT550 were using Maxxis tyres, a few used the Ikon.

For XC riding and the very odd trail centre, what Maxxis tyres are people recommending?

I think and Ardent Race on the front, and Ikon on the back, both Exo and TR. is this a good combination or will I find them slippy in mud and crap everywhere else?

Thanks

(They will be set up tubeless)
ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Maxxis tyres - which ones?

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I used Ikons for a while, but had loads of punctures, especially on the back, however I discovered I didn't have the EXO sidewall protection. Went back to Ralphs with Snakeskin protection, as they can be had online for half the price of Ikons. Only had one puncture on the HT550, which the Stans held after a bit of air loss, but the rear tread looks like it has been hammered after about 800 miles total!
Chew

Post by Chew »

I use an Ardent on the front and Crossmark on the rear without issue.
Those look similar

Good all round tyres for covering lots of ground quickly. Ok in muddy conditions, but dont expect huge amounts of grip.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I like bontrager tyres, the SE have stronger sidewalls too
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I use ikon 2.35 Exo versions. They go up tubeless easily and are pretty tough sidewall- wise
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Were the failures due to the tyre or just bad luck? Some things like rock strikes will puncture any tyre (or at least any tyre that you'd want to fit on a bike).

I've had an Ardent on the back and didn't like it - whether it was pressure related or me just not used to it I don't know. For the HT550 I used Bontrager XR2 (equivalent to the Ikon) on the front and XR1 on the rear and had no problems. (Neil Beltchenko used XR4s front and rear - very aggressive tyres and quite draggy - obviously didn't slow him down too much!)

The Ikon/XR2 level of tread is fine for hardpack but will struggle in soft/wet conditions, I swap my tyres for a more aggressive setup for winter otherwise I'm spinning going nowhere or wallowing around as the front washes out.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Minion SS on the rear. Surprisingly fast but grips hard when you crank it over.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Chew wrote:I use an Ardent on the front and Crossmark on the rear without issue.
Those look similar

Good all round tyres for covering lots of ground quickly. Ok in muddy conditions, but dont expect huge amounts of grip.
I'll second the ardent/crossmarks, they are a very fast rolling combo that still provide a decent amount of grip when needed.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

slarge wrote:
For XC riding and the very odd trail centre, what Maxxis tyres are people recommending?
I use minions for that type of riding.
Javi

Post by Javi »

All year around with Maxxis Ikon triple compound and protection. 2.35 front and rear for rocky riding, 2,2 rear for weight saving on easier terrain. Not very light, there are faster tyres but I don't bother much changibg them. 2 HTR's and no punctures. I made sure tyres quite new.

Don't like them at all when it's muddy. Maybe 29ers have more grip but I really struggle.

I had Conti mountain kings for Strathpuffer, brand new, anazingly grippy all race, the black chilly compound us magic, but deflated many times and I wouldn't recommend them. Maybe X -

Kings give more reliability...
Javi

Post by Javi »

Big tyres+ low pressure= lons of grip. I'm surprised how many people have tyres inflated like balloons
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ardents on the front are plenty grippy. I found a crossmark to lack grip braking on grassy descents. But everywhere else fine.

Never tried an Ikon

I also quite like specialized tyres. Fast track 2.2 rear. Ground control 2.3 front. Seem good value and last fine for me.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I very much rate Ikons, Ardent Race and Crossmark 2s.

I very much do not rate Aspens.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've used an Ardent and an Ardent race on the front.
The Ardent race is surprisingly good despite the lack of tread but I changed back to an Ardent once it got a bit sloppier.
I'd probably pick the Ardent due to more versatility.
On the back I've used both ikons and crossmarks.
The ikons are pricey but very good, that doesnt mean the crossmark is any less capable though.
Ikons are my more favoured tyre for the rear.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

slarge wrote: I think and Ardent Race on the front, and Ikon on the back, both Exo and TR. is this a good combination or will I find them slippy in mud and crap everywhere else?
That's my exact combination on the rigid. Superb on dry trails and fast rolling on road, but a bit sketchy the last couple of nights out in the Peak District mud, particularly the Ikon at the back. I'm considering sticking the Ardent Race on the back and a standard Ardent on the front.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another Ardent/Crossmark user here. As Chew suggests, rear wheel grip can be "variable" but you mostly get used to it :lol:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Watching this with interest.
MK2s front and rear at present but liable to spin rear in bog, mud and in the lose.
I smacked the rear MK2 so hard on a water bar descending Bealach Dubh that I was slowing down and mentally decided to stick the tube
in and sort it out later but the puncture never came. I could feel the shock of the rim hitting the rock so the tyre was well and truly compressed
so impressed with strength of the MK2.
Xking rear grips better but wears out too quickly.
Thinking Bonti XR range as highly recommended by LBS but then they would say that as it all they stock.
The new Michelin Wild AM gets a not bad review on Gear Junkie but never seen a Michelin on an MTB - yet.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Not tried the Ardent Race but I have given up on the Ardent 2.25 after a particularly skitey day in Glen Tanar where I was all over the place (my mate was laughing at me with his chunky 2.4 AM tyres.... There was a lot of standing and running water in places though. In mud I found they flagged up fast.

So I slapped a HR2 on the front which is much better. Course, it's not as fast rolling... :roll:

I can live with it on the rear though.
Give the dirt a little room.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I use Ardents Exo TR front and back, good strong sidewall and a doddle to set up tubeless. 2.4 @ the front, 2.25 @ the back
Karl

Post by Karl »

I second mtbmarkymark. I use Ardent exo tr front and rear. 2.4 front 2.25 rear. Fast rolling, tough and grippy!
Mart

Post by Mart »

ScotRoutes wrote:Another Ardent/Crossmark user here. As Chew suggests, rear wheel grip can be "variable" but you mostly get used to it :lol:
same combo for me this year... first time i've tried faster rolling for the summer. So far so good :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Mariner wrote: The new Michelin Wild AM gets a not bad review on Gear Junkie but never seen a Michelin on an MTB - yet.
I have a pair of Michelin Force AM's that Michelin sent me for free in return for a review, nice and grippy on the the front but a bit draggy out back, might be better with the Force XC on the back
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ikon 2.35 EXO here too. Still running fine post TDR and more.

Won't touch Scwalbe, we don't get on eye to eye no matter the version they make their casings from.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Thanks all, I think I'll be going for Ardent and Ikons, and maybe a Crossmark on the spare wheels. Have been using Schwalbe for a long time, and they can be great, just a bad tyre seems to be really bad, and the sidewalls seem weak even on the Snakeskin versions. The Racing Ralph on the rear of my hardtail went from nearly new to completely worn out on the HT550, and I know it's rocky and lots of granite, but I would like more longer lasting tyres.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Interesting comment regarding wear Steve.

I'd a brand new XR1 on the back for the HT550 - I'd had to replace a very nearly new XR1 due to getting a puncture on the JennRide the week before and not totally trusting the anchovy plug - the ride out for a drink the evening before the start was the first ride. The punctured tyre has done about 180 miles (Dales and Lakes). Just compared the two and while the one that's been round the Highlands is definitely more worn there isn't that much in it - it's things like rounded lugs rather than no tread whatsoever. I reckon the tyre could do another two Highland Trails before it needed replacing. More than can be said for me!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry