The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Re: The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Post by Mike »

Have fun out there folks! I will be thinking of you when in riding the sweet trails around Bend, Oregon :-bd
No really wish i were doing this trip, gutted they clash but hey ho theres always next year............ before u say it AW no im not moaning :wink:
gairym

Post by gairym »

James,

Have sent some money across for a patch thingy.

If you can give it to me in Turin that'll be fine.

Nice one.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks a lot Gairy, got it!
Chew wrote:
jameso wrote:Iron-on with a hot Ti mug base in the square Monday night after a few Peronis?
Are these iron on patches James?
Yep, embroidered iron-on type. The embroidery makes them less bulky / have finer detail than woven patches, they shouldn't peel off but I was told they'll come off if you pull carefully.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Best make a bit of room for this ... could do a roaring trade :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

I'm a little uncertain as to what to iron my patch on to. I'd quite like it to be on the Apidura saddlebag but don't want to knacker the fabric.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm a little uncertain as to what to iron my patch on to. I'd quite like it to be on the Apidura saddlebag but don't want to knacker the fabric.
They don't require that much heat. I wouldn't have thought it would damage anything ... after all they're designed to be ironed on to clothes, etc.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Mines going on the Alpamayo Rear harness, Jameso has kindly volunteered to iron it on with a Ti mug in exchange for Peroni ;)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
They don't require that much heat. I wouldn't have thought it would damage anything ... after all they're designed to be ironed on to clothes, etc.
I will test on my bar bag this weekend and report back, but Stu's right, only a chance of damage if you've never wielded an iron before : ) set the iron on synthetics so it won't be hot enough to melt nylon or polyester (has a horrible thought of melting a big hole in a frame bag). I sewed my hipster-approved 'Get Rad' patch to the bar bag, it's not waterproof anyway.

Justin - I will also practice the mug method. And prepare disclaimer forms.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Took me ages sewing it on to my bar bag!
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Postby rufus748 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:17 am
I'm still trying to get a pass to go...

I'm thinking maybe I'll just book the tickets working on the theory it's easier to seek forgiveness than gain permission :wink:
rufus748

Dropped the bomb tonight.... Still in one piece :-bd
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Anyone else bivvying at LGW Sunday night?
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

No but if you're on the early BA flight I'll keep an eye out for that tarp fresh look.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Airside 'spoons opens @4 :)
WKucza

Post by WKucza »

Hi all,

V here. Thought I'd say hello, as will joining you all for the ride.

Current weather forecast says rain some of the days :0( How much waterproof gear are you dudes bringing? I'm leaving for eurobike first thing Tuesday, so will be packing up tomorrow. I'm so excited!
VeloV

Post by VeloV »

jameso wrote:As a bonus climb-saver, you could look up the SP32 between Germangnano and Forno to the west, just 20km / ~500m and it cuts out all of that first spike on the profile. Get a head-start and heckle the faster riders as they come past that evening :-bd then settle into the really great climb and dirt section coming up after that.
Sounds like a great plan. If you're in the Tomato hostel on the 5th, you can update me on the route!
VeloV

Post by VeloV »

cyclingtiger wrote:Not at all. Not sure about the puncture protection but certainly the comfort.

This is more or less the bicycle that Mrs Tiger and I will be riding following the bicycle test we did at the weekend.

I need to get one of those bottle cages that drop down the frame so I can get a bottle under frame bag. Any suggestions?

I do like that grey seatpost bag..what is the make?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I do like that grey seatpost bag..what is the make?
Apidura
Mugsys_m8

Post by Mugsys_m8 »

Weather wise: Well near Grenoble it's been unbearably hot for the last week. High 30's near us at 600m altitude, i.e. as hot as it gets for us. Hot weather like this is normally followed by stormy periods..... however I have been told this week it will be stormy and then getting good again. So it could actually be perfect weather for us.

*I have not actually consulted a weather forecast :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Today I saw both clear sunshine for Turin on the 6th and rain from different forecasts. Too soon to say then.. and I won't bother looking at the forecast again : )

WK, Pre-Alps area and 2000m or more up = rain gear packed for me. Shorts, jacket and gloves plus a warm layer to ride in if needed.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Patches - I was going to experiment on an old bag but thought that was being a chicken so straight in with my bar bag and a hot iron. I found X-Pac / VX21 isn't easily melted - not at all in this case with the iron on the hottest setting.

The patches need plenty of heat to fix properly. Use the hot setting, I had the iron on 'silk' (never used that one before). Just go for it - hot and fast. Get the iron up to temp, place a towel in areas where the iron will contact the bag or use a well-sized support underneath the bag and commit. Push fairly hard and flat, 5-6, maybe 10 seconds max. Done. Let it cool off, check and repeat if needed.

I tried warming the patch on the iron first at a lower setting then warming further onto the bag but it didn't stick so it seems the hotter settings and less time work best.

Sew-on if less committed maybe. White thread round the border line should look neat enough.
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Time to pull my finger out and do the bare minimum of planning for this... i.e. book flights and download the GPSs. Might even trawl through the previous 14pages of this post. The lovely Greg May is loaning me his Divide set-up Salsa Cutthroat which is very nice of him. Just need to make sure I get at least one practice spin on it before this little ride.

Quite excited!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Extracted digit...bivvy @ Gatwick Sunday evening is now on.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Extracted digit...bivvy @ Gatwick Sunday evening is now on.
You flying straight to Turin Scott?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Alas, I am. I didn't get my act together quick enough to hook up with you 'n Chew. Aside from the Gatwick sleepover, it's worked out a touch cheaper so all is not lost.

Greetz

S.
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Eek. Flights booked and everything. Gave myself a few days after for some R+R and mtbing (on a friend's bike) in Finale Ligure.

Look forward to spinning out with everyone.