Family bikepacking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Family bikepacking

Post by ootini »

I've got a three years old son, which means a fair bit of hassle and organisation required when me and the Mrs want to go bikepacking as we need to sort child care. I was wondering if anyone here goes bikepacking with such a young sprog in tow? If so how ? We currently have a child seat for George which means no seatpack, so I'm toying with getting a trailer but have no experience with riding with a trailer. Obviously with the little one we'd be restricted to the type of paths etc, and hills.
So, another question, does anyone have any hints on flatish, easy mode routes with camping / bivvy spots around the north Wales / north west England area ? The mawddach trail looks ok, but that's about the only semidecent route around. Delamere isn't too far away but I've no idea if it's ok to camp there.
ctznsmith

Re: Family bikepacking

Post by ctznsmith »

Cass Gilbert might provide some ideas/inspiration?
http://www.whileoutriding.com/blog

Or this was my g/f's setup last year. Just strap it all to the child seat!! :shock:

Just realised that facebook 'note' is public so full story here:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/judith-p ... 6620715390
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Trailer works well and would likely do so with a child seat - you can carry a few more comforts (and light but large volume stuff; thinking nappies etc). Not tried it with a child seat but would work well on a flat route like Mawddach or Lon Las Cefni to Newborough (watch the horse flies though!).

You'd be welcome to borrow the trailer I have for a go at trying your set up and a ride too if you like it. In North Wales too if you want to collect.

Newborough with child and trailer for an overnighter...
ImageStrike-Bivi-8 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
ootini

Post by ootini »

Really appreciate the offer. Where in north Wales are you ? What kind of trailer is it btw ?
Also, what's the Lon las cefni like ? I've done some riding in newborough, but never out of the forest.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Mawdach trail would be good, dead flat and very scenic.

I'd been thinking of some canal rides for a family trip too.

Even started to get my wife thinking of canal du midi with our son, though he's 8

There's a doc on bike chanel, funny name I can't remember like auticares? , about a family doing the camino de Santiago on a tandem with a trailer attached and a tag along bike attached to the trailer! One baby and one toddler, so it can be done
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

We used a croozer trailer and a tagalong to tour with our two young children. As they are a similar age they could swap between the two if the one on the tagalong got fed up. It also meant if the weather was bad they could both forum the trailer. There is loads of room in the back of the trailer for bulky items as mentioned above. As they are both now on tagalongs, we are selling our croozer kid for 2 trailer. It's been a great trailer and is thoroughly recommend them.
ootini

Post by ootini »

mje25 wrote:We used a croozer trailer and a tagalong to tour with our two young children. As they are a similar age they could swap between the two if the one on the tagalong got fed up. It also meant if the weather was bad they could both forum the trailer. There is loads of room in the back of the trailer for bulky items as mentioned above. As they are both now on tagalongs, we are selling our croozer kid for 2 trailer. It's been a great trailer and is thoroughly recommend them.
How much would you be after ?
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

PM sent, cheers Mark
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

ootini wrote:Really appreciate the offer. Where in north Wales are you ? What kind of trailer is it btw ?
Also, what's the Lon las cefni like ? I've done some riding in newborough, but never out of the forest.
I'm over near Conwy area.... it's a BOB trailer. Let me know if you want to try it and drop me a PM.

Lon Las Cefni is flat from Llangefni - largely traffic free appart from a short section of quiet lane then bike tracks into Newborough (easy to get your self a quiet spot out of the way in Newborough.... off one of the tracks in a little flat forest clearing - if you stop and hope over one of the old wooded dunes you can find some nice sheltered spots).

ImageJanuary Bivi 1 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
ootini

Post by ootini »

99percentchimp wrote:
ootini wrote:Really appreciate the offer. Where in north Wales are you ? What kind of trailer is it btw ?
I'm over near Conwy area.... it's a BOB trailer. Let me know if you want to try it and drop me a PM.

Lon Las Cefni is flat from Llangefni - largely traffic free appart from a short section of quiet lane then bike tracks into Newborough (easy to get your self a quiet spot out of the way in Newborough.... off one of the tracks in a little flat forest clearing - if you stop and hope over one of the old wooded dunes you can find some nice sheltered spots).

ImageJanuary Bivi 1 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

Ahhh ok. I'm from Llandudno originally. Regarding newborough, I've always wondered about a cheeky bivy on Llandwyn island itself. Preferably with a night time high tide.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

We did Bearstock with a 3yo on board. She's now outgrown the seat (Yepp Mini). We're now using a donated trailer (big & clunky) and weighing up options for next steps.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Re: routes defo Mawdach, also Shell Island (Harlech) to Barmouth along the hard sand is nice (wash bikes after!).

Around us in s.Manc some sections of tpt & Bridgewater way are ok but not looked at as bivvy spots.