Yorkshire Dales 200

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

S.Softie

Yorkshire Dales 200

Post by S.Softie »

I'm entered and was wondering it anyone is else is doing it or looked at / know the 2016 route.
Seems as though the pit stop options are Austwick at 35 miles and then Hawes at 80 miles.
It took me almost 2 days to do 80 miles in Tuscany; anyone able to compare (assuming we have decent weather for next 2 weeks)?
Chew

Re: Yorkshire Dales 200

Post by Chew »

Cant find the route, but assuming conditions stay as they currently are you'll get around in a very fast time. Everything is bone dry at the moment.
The other thing to note is its difficult to find water in the Dales (it just drains into the limestone) so you'll need to make sure you fill up when you get the opportunity.

Sure Bob will be able to give you more details.

Space on the floor at mine if thats of any help?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As if on cue :wink: ...

There's a cafe at Feizor at 55km (pub at Austwick, don't think there's a cafe there), there's the Moorcock Inn at around 105Km and Hawes at 130Km. If you are riding through then that's going to be it really as you aren't going to be stopping once over Stake Moss and down into Wharfedale.

Just looked at the route download from Stuart's site - the text says anti-clockwise but the GPX is still clockwise. If it *does* go anti-clockwise then Hawes comes at 60Km, the Moorcock at 85Km and the cafe at Feizor at 135km. Not sure what time the cafe at Feizor shuts.

Unless we have a deluge things are going to be dry, even if it does chuck it down there's only a few sections that will suffer.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
S.Softie

Post by S.Softie »

Thanks for the responses.
I'll make a vague plan for the route either way round (expecting to do it 'backwards' / ACW now that I've looked at it) and will take care over water carrying capacity.
I'm stuck with using the train so will go straight into Skipton on Friday evening (thanks for the offer of a floor though Chew).
I'll be heading for Hull afterwards, using the train again ..... unless someone says there an unmissable ride I should be doing instead.
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

I'm hoping to do it if I can the body to hold together, currently struggling with injury's one after another which is severely hampering my training. Need to ride this really as I've got the 3 peaks cx coming up as well and bb200, then quite possibly relentless 24!

As for route got no idea where it goes but then again it's all on my doorstep so probably know most of it.
ajf

Post by ajf »

I did it last year the week before the event as just a couple of nights away. Seemed I went the wrong way round though and went clockwise like the gps route shows?

I can tell you about the route but only what its like to do it the wrong way. Some of it makes more sense now.

Suppose I'll have to do it again the right way

edit: just seen its a different route - ignore this I have no idea :???:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

stucowp wrote:I'm hoping to do it if I can the body to hold together, currently struggling with injury's one after another which is severely hampering my training. Need to ride this really as I've got the 3 peaks cx coming up as well and bb200, then quite possibly relentless 24!

As for route got no idea where it goes but then again it's all on my doorstep so probably know most of it.
I'm riding those three too! (Not the 200 though) from what I remember of where you said you live it really is on your door step. I think it goes past your front door!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ajf - Stuart (Rider) changes the YD200 route each year whereas the YD300 is (now) fixed. He seems to like the routes to finish over Barden Moor so the GPX won't be exactly the reverse if that's the case.

Not sure which way would give the best riding TBH, on balance I think I'd prefer clockwise but some nice tracks whatever.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Good luck Stuart and Ian. I'm still stretching this post-HT meltdown for at least a few more weeks yet ..... :oops: :roll:
S.Softie

Post by S.Softie »

Now unable to make this as work is getting in the way of getting on a train early enough Friday to make it.

Anyone interested in taking my place just let me know and I'll forward details and let any others know that they were too late.

Riders Centre is laying on breakfasts for (my) entry fee so would be a shame to waste.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not looking too bad for tomorrow, the forecast rain now seems to be holding off until the early hours of Sunday AM http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637702?day=1.

We've had a bit of rain yesterday but the ground is still firm and it's sunny and breezy today, only likely boggy spots will be Boss Moor around the 17Km mark and New Laithe Lane leading back to Cracoe at about 170Km, there might be some standing water on other bits but they'll just be wet rather than muddy (famous last words). Should be good.

Quick supply point recap for those unfamiliar with the area:

55Km - cafe at Feizor
100Km - pub (The Moorcock)
130Km - cafes and pubs in Hawes
148Km - cafe, shop and pub in Buckden
154Km - cafes, shop and pubs in Kettlewell
164Km - cafes, shops and pubs in Grassington
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Just in case - if you're coming past Leeds then it's the Festival this weekend. Might have an effect on the traffic :cool:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Just in case - if you're coming past Leeds then it's the Festival this weekend. Might have an effect on the traffic :cool:
Nah, most of those on the train this morning who were obviously going to the festival didn't look old enough to have passed their test :grin:

Actually it was on the news this AM that part of the A64 is closed for a time due to the festival. If you are coming up the east side of the country then it's probably easier to keep going up the M1 to Wetherby and head to Skipton from there.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Watch out for drunks / kids / flippin' eejits walking up the M1/A1 (I kid ye not :roll:)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just got back.

Finished in 14:25, first back was Stu Cowperthwaite in 12:05 so pleased with that.

Was very warm this AM, clouded over this afternoon. Had some drizzle when leaving Hawes at 1800 but it soon stopped and I didn't have any more rain until dropping off Barden Moor very near the end which started to get very heavy as I was passing through Embsay. Some thunder and lightning now :o

Only 19 started so folk were soon spread out - after Feizor I saw Stuart Rider at The Moorcock for a minute but no-one else at all until the finish.

Time for bed! :-bd
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

Well done Bob, I dragged the stooge around with plused up wheels 29+ front on chronicle and 27.5+ rear ikon plus, was super comfy and an absolute riot downhill but was a major weight penalty going up with it weighing over 29lbs, still made an excellent day out and training session and I got to do a couple of BW I'd not done yet as always nice.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Anyone able to offer any advice on the type pf terrain/surface on the route? Thinking of doing an abridged version in a couple of weeks as a warm up for the Dirty Reiver - is it comfortably rideable on a CX?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Depends on what you mean by comfortable?

Doable - Yes
Rattle your teeth out - Yes on certain parts of that route

Sure someone could come up with something more CX suitable
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Emma Osenten did both editions of the YD200 on a CX bike so as Chew says, doable.

Bits I'd find hard on a CX would be these segments:

https://www.strava.com/segments/8167998
https://www.strava.com/segments/5641326 Stiff climb
https://www.strava.com/segments/2236787
https://www.strava.com/segments/10172767

This has had fairly large hardcore surface added recently so might be interesting on thinner tyres,

https://www.strava.com/segments/5402556
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Comfortably rideable on gravel cx bike. Hmm

Rideable. Yes absolutely.

Comfortably? Nope
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Cheers chaps. :-bd

I'll be doing it on a rigid mtb so I've no great concerns. The other lad I'm riding with will be on a CX with 40c Nanos. tbf to him he's ridden some rough-ish stuff in the Peaks on it so he might be OK.