Mittens?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chrisps

Mittens?

Post by Chrisps »

I tend to use Gore Tool gloves if it gets wet. They are windstopper, so wet out, but sort of keep my hands comfy.

I have read a few things recently suggesting people bikepack in mittens though.

Am I miss understanding, or do people really ride in mittens with all their fingers in the same "pocket"?

Seems pretty sketchy for using the brakes? However, I have some Paclite mittens that I chuck over my mountaineering gloves which are lovely and dry.

Am I likely to kill myself if I go riding in them, as seems likely?! Is there some sort of technique to breaking in mittens?
Taylor

Re: Mittens?

Post by Taylor »

I use goretex mittens in the depths of winter but only once my fingers have frozen in their spring/Autumn gloves, or I know there's a long fast decent coming next.
It's a blessed relief at times and they pack/roll to nothing.
Any climbing when I might be generating heat they have to come off to regulate my temperature.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Sort of.

Set of these:

Cut out the insulated bit as too bulky. Then glued a piece of 'grip' off the thumbs of some old knackered sealskins gloves to the trigger finger part.

I usually put two fingers into the trigger part and the other two in the mitten but that is more to do with the power of my brakes/two finger braking on drop bars.

Haven't ridden anything super tech in them mind you.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I've just been looking at some montane minimus mittens as an emergency, live at the bottom of the pack pair.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

TN Tuff-bags here, same as Taylor. Weigh nowt, pack to nothing and make a big difference to cold wet hands ... not killed myself yet.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Ok, thanks. I have some like tough bags. I will maybe give it a go... Just wondered if there was some kind of special mitten people used that allowed you to grip the bar and brakes at the same time.

Thanks!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just wondered if there was some kind of special mitten people used that allowed you to grip the bar and brakes at the same time.
Lobster gloves?

I sometimes use them in winter ... two fingers for the bar and two for the brake.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I use Buffalo mitts, warm when wet and dry very quick,easy to
Stuff in a pocket etc,using Gripshift so no issues, a wrap of bar tape
On the brake levers ( nice n tight bound with electrical tape at the ends)
Makes them a lot more grippy :-bd