The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheHappyCog

Re: The 1st Torino-Nice Rally, anyone?

Post by TheHappyCog »

James
Getting your bike bag-wrapped at the airport is a pain in the proverbial. We were forced inot to it by an over zealous check in desk manager at Milan. 30 euros a bike and they were not keen on doing it all. They made me take my crankset off. Can't remember why now though.
JustinF

Post by JustinF »

We have a plan re. CTC bags.

Going to post spare clothes, trainers etc in a CTC bag post restante to the main post office in Nice, they hold mail for a fortnight for us to collect.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Will give that idea a miss then, thanks Fraser. Only 1/2 serious, would be a bit dent-risky.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Looking for some advice on Italian roads. We're flying into Milan and having a 'warm up' ride over to Turin.

Had a go with Komoot, but being a tight northerner I'd rather avoid having to pay to download a route, so over to google.

I'm assuming:
A = Motorway
SS = Are these dual carrageways?
SP = A and B roads?

Anything marked as yellow is going to be busy?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Chew, from what little riding I have done in Italy you're pretty much right. SPs can be good dirt tracks up to a larger B-road, generally just good smaller roads. They can be more like main roads in places though. SS roads are like A-roads but can still be really good, ie the yellow SS road between Sestrieres and Cesana. E/As I've avoided as they look like fast major roads.
jameso

Post by jameso »

654km
16441m de D+
This is from the French guy's recent ride of the route, they took a shorter sections or 2 based on the mileage but did ride the longer Via del Sale route. I thought the GPS sites over-estimated the height gain. When discussing this recently I was told that signal bounce between trees and ground etc can make satellite-based mapping unreliable for long routes, I'd totted up the main climbs' gain as ~15,000m. So we can relax a little now eh? :-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

Sounds almost flat :wink:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

If i knew earlier it was going to be 15000 instead of 30000 meters i would have booked it- packed it! :roll:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

Out of interest (and to avoid being any more of a numpty than usual) does anyone who's ridden this or similar area before, have a rough idea of likely overnight temps and/or wind conditions.

Trying to workout which shelter and quilt for the trip...

(I think I'll be bringing a shaped tarp with my oookworks nest under it, as I'm bored of condensation in my bivy and don't fancy a week of damp.

Main tarp decision remains - Trailstar to be safe rather than sorry, or CF Zpacks pocket tarp, which might leave me sorry but would also leave me 0.5kg lighter.)
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've not ridden in the exact area we'll be riding but I do a lot of riding up and down big hills and problem you've got is in predicting the nighttime temperature drop at altitude.

Later in the summer as it will be when we're riding it's likely (likely only, don't quote me) to be nice and warm in the day but once you're at 1000m you'll notice the temperature drop off once the sun disappears. Start thinking about bivi-ing at 2000m upwards and you could easily get down below zero.

Right here, right now is a good example. Yesterday was lovely and warm and today is likely to be the same (mid 20's °c). But.....last night the temp dropped to 6°c here at 1050m and 0°c at about 2200m.

I'll be aiming to drop down low in the evenings with just enough gear to manage if this isn't possible.
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

Cheers Gairy - I've done a bit of UK mountain stuff and had exactly those concerns.

I sleep quite warm and can normally manage down to below 0 (just) with my planned setup but comfier above 5. Wanted to make sure everyone else didn't know that it was obviously going to be -15 each night with guaranteed gale force winds...

If I take the pocket tarp I'll aim to do the same and drop low or into shelter somewhere unless I'm feeling particularly brave.

The TS would give me more wind protection, but I need to offset my poor training as much as possible by less weight on the bike. I'm even considering dieting...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks Gairy. Bivied a few times on top of peaks in the south pre alps in Sept and it can be cold, I'll take a 6deg bag and a jacket.

Sorry wotsits.. Always thought the gps sites overestimated it though, on any route. I'd have been in trouble if I'd have said 15-20k then sent out files showing over 30k : ) a few ride traces from Sept will give us a better number.

Jim, I'm also dieting. So I can eat more pizza on route : )
Chew

Post by Chew »

Remember its not just about kit, its how you use it.

So as Gairy said, push on a bit to get low, or stop early. Also make the most of natural cover to get out of the wind (thinking woodland, rocks, etc...)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hopefully I'll have something to show you next week on the CTC plastic bag / tarp idea :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

Chew wrote:Remember its not just about kit, its how you use it.

So as Gairy said, push on a bit to get low, or stop early. Also make the most of natural cover to get out of the wind (thinking woodland, rocks, etc...)
Cheers Chew - competely agreed.

Was mainly keen to know if there are any obviously adverse prevailing conditions out there at that time of year.
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Hopefully I'll have something to show you next week on the CTC plastic bag / tarp idea :-bd
Fetal position, mostly zipped up, with head poked out?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

jameso wrote:Sorry wotsits.. Always thought the gps sites overestimated it though, on any route. I'd have been in trouble if I'd have said 15-20k then sent out files showing over 30k : ) a few ride traces from Sept will give us a better number.
It's my own fault James, i've just been a wuss instead of Manning-TFU. Climbing doesn't normally bother me either & i'm sure i'll feel even worse when you all start posting up about how amazing it is!! :|
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Manning-TFU.
Nah, no manning-up required, just Ignoring-TFGPS!

The flights aren't full yet ; )
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've got a buddy here in Chamonix who's tempted and so the reduced total accent might just tip him over the edge into coming along.

Jase, get yourself booked, you know your want to!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If I didn't have family commitments and limited holidays I'd be all over this like white on rice
jameso

Post by jameso »

This page has been up for a while but not added to the navigation, wasn't sure if it would have much appeal but thought 'why not' - http://torino-nice.weebly.com/follow-the-ride.html
If anyone riding would like to share your profiles on that page or use the hashtags on posts, please do.

I've enjoyed following the TCR and the ParisChill guys riding the Torino-Nice route on instagram recently. Following a ride in lo-fi way by simple location tags on instagram images or intermittent twitter updates is nice, maybe not at trackleaders level of addictive but more varied and personal, plus I'm a sucker for the escapism of nice landscape images. PCR did full justice to the great weather they had en-route - https://www.instagram.com/pcrgravier/?hl=en
benp1

Post by benp1 »

They've got some cool photos and little gif style videos

I'm strangely addicted to seeing this all, would love to do something like this one day - definitely on the bucket list with a group of mates

Looks like they've done it on gravel bikes
gentjim

Post by gentjim »

It looks beautiful, doesn't it. Looks like a CdF and other similar bikes.
Did they essentially do the same route, James?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Jim, scroll down this page, there's a link to their strava track for each day. They took a different route out of Turin to the Finestre and said they went off-roue elsewhere but unless that was day 4 (mis-link to wrong page) all the rest looks right, on a brief glance. They used the Col Izoard and Col Preit options, so basically the same as the route on Pannier.cc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way