Heartbroken!!!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gari

Heartbroken!!!!

Post by Gari »

Just been out to tighten a loose BB on the WTF before going for a spin on it, and found a rather large dent in the DT!!! I went for a spin on it last night and thought it was "pulling" a little when I was riding with hands off the bars, but felt ok when riding along normally. figured it was probably as I was riding with pretty low pressure in the tyres, that and I have been on the Jones for the past few weeks. I always find the first ride on skinny tyres quite "interesting" when I have been on fat tyres for a while.
Not sure where/when it happened, certainly I haven't crashed or dropped it, which is why I didn't give it too much thought part night. Only thing I can think of is the fact that I keep it in the hostels bike shed, and we have had about 3 large groups in over the past few weeks. Clubs, end to enders and a couple of charity ride groups. Maybe one of them dropped it, leant a bike against it or something? Quite a bash though, whoever did it must have known they had done it......Either way, it's gubbed and I need to replace it ASAP(silver linings and all that :cool: ) I was going to take it to Iceland in a couple of weeks.

Taylor

Re: Heartbroken!!!!

Post by Taylor »

Hell fire, thats some dent. :shock:

Somebody knows about that for sure.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Odd that there doesn't appear to be any damage to the cables, unless there is and it's not visible in the photos.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Gari

Post by Gari »

The cables are pretty "freefloating" so could have just flexed out of the way? Still, odd, as you say.
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Its rusted? must have been like that for some time?
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

its been like that for a while to be that rusty. - the hostel sheds fairly dry from what i mind.

Is that your jones in the hostel shed then - was it you i spoke to on my C2C last year just outside the hostel in the Alpkit hoodie for a while about routes locally ?

I didnt even get a dent that bad in my road rat when it fell over onto a land rover axle /drum edge in my garage..... it looks like a sharp edge impact as well to be fair.... like the edge of a wall or something.

either that tubes paper thin or its had speed or weight behind it to cause that.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Yeah, I reckon that's been there for a while given the rust

You could find a repair shop who could repair it for you? Or maybe add some S&S couplings, cut the dent out and put them in instead?

Real shame that, was so close to buying a WTF relatively recently, just couldn't justify it. Was £900 and quite well specced but would it get used over a commuterised Arkose or a rigid El Mariachi... that was the problem
Gari

Post by Gari »

Not been there more than 5-6 weeks actually, which is the last time I rode it. The rust is quite superficial, it looks worse as it is on the inside of the transfers. You can rub it off with your fingers.
Either way, write off I imagine. Sent some pics to a localish repair place but he wasn't over optimistic on the phone, I imagine the cost would make it not worth the effprt. We shall see what he says after looking at the pics.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sorry to hear about that Gari, that's a real pain.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Speak to Ben cooper at kinetics re repair.

Did a stotting job on Kenny's soul craft.... down tube replacement after he rode into the park bench outside the. Aviemore station at the sswc folding it like a wet newspaper
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

What he said - Shand would be able to do this too and it shouldn't be too dear - a lot less than a new frame even adding in the powder coating.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Cheers guys, it's Ben at Kinetics I have been in contact with this morning. Still awaiting a response, though theres no real rush as even if he could fix it I can't imagine it will be ready for Iceland(2.5 weeks)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:What he said - Shand would be able to do this too and it shouldn't be too dear - a lot less than a new frame even adding in the powder coating.
I e mailed Shand a few weeks ago and they said they're not taking in repairs at the moment.