Alpkit Cloud cover pre order

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

Alpkit Cloud cover pre order

Post by HaYWiRe »

Just noticed alpkit are taking pre orders for the end of the month, anyone own one and are they worth it?

Price keeps climbing with each run and at £79 is debating getting one, as its not as cheap as it once once was, but could go up more.

Looking at using one for a hot summer quilt, over quilt for winter or just day hikes, car trips, travelling, ect are they good for the money?

Also, packsize? Are they compact enough to just pack for any adventure?
gairym

Re: Alpkit Cloud cover pre order

Post by gairym »

I've got one.

Not used it in anything other than nice summer conditions yet.

A bit small for someone of my size (6'2"/187cm), especially when the bottom is scrunched together but.....

Cheap enough to try out (comparatively) and definitely fine when it's warm anyway and will be great for a lightweight additional winter layer.
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

I had one of the first run of them and I think I paid £60.00, which is more like it.
It was very good value for that kind of money, didn't realise they had hiked the price! It would be very versatile as long as you are under 5' 10" as when it is scrunched up at the bottom you lose quite a bit of length. I personally wasn't overly impressed with the build or fill quality. the poppers down the side seemed like they were going to pull out at any minute and the draw cord and cord lock are complete overkill!
I sold mine pronto and bought a Cumulus Quilt 150. vaguely exciting kit, and not massively more expensive. A lot warmer too, think that comes down to the better quality filling and baffle construction.
Anyway, the pack size is quite decent on the Cloud Cover and as mentioned would be good as another layer to a thinner bag in chillier climes.
Enjoy!
FlyingFox

Post by FlyingFox »

I got one on the last order run, its mostly used in hotels unfortunately (travel a lot and prefer my own home comforts) as the pack size is small enough it goes in my bag without taking up too much room.

But in the field its fine on its own with a silk liner, or if its very cold ill have a small vango lightweight bag that the cloud tops up.

I agree with Artie in that the poppers feel a little too strong and they could rip the material at any time.

I can't compare to anything else, but i hear good things about the columbus.
Al

Post by Al »

I had one from the first run.
The best thing I've used it for is a hammock under quilt, for which it seems perfect.
Otherwise It's a bit short for me as an regular 'on top' quit on its own (at 6'1") but has been very useful to boost a summer bag.

oh - forgot to say the poppers - I've got two which have started to pull / tear away for the thin fabric despite fairly careful use.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Oh dear. Nothing here reassures me about the order I have just placed. Where can the cumulus 150 be bought from and how much? I've just paid £70 for the Alpkit but not despatched yet.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Where can the cumulus 150 be bought from and how much? I've just paid £70 for the Alpkit but not despatched yet.
A lot of places are out of stock Philip but they have them here: https://www.outdoorline.sk/en/quilts/26 ... t-150.html It's where I bought mine, very good service and fast delivery. £122 + delivery.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think that's where I got mine from (on Stuart's recommendation).

They give 9C as comfort and 4C as limit temperatures but I've been a little below that (there was some frost about) and been OK but I'm a fairly warm sleeper and have a little in-built insulation. :roll:

I use mine a lot. I'm 5' 10" and it's just long enough to cinch over my shoulders - if I fully stretch out I'm pushing at the foot box
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

^^^^That's where I got mine from.^^^^
Fast service, great product!!
You won't regret it.
Adam
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks everyone, seem like I might have to go with the cumulus and cancel the Alpkit. Really don't want any reliability issues with kit.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

padonbike wrote:Thanks everyone, seem like I might have to go with the cumulus and cancel the Alpkit. Really don't want any reliability issues with kit.

I have the 250 version which has seen a lot of use. It's good kit, not quite at the level of PHD but considering the price difference (and that PHD don't really sell a quilt - except JamesOs special edition) they are excellent value.
FlyingFox

Post by FlyingFox »

padonbike wrote:Thanks everyone, seem like I might have to go with the cumulus and cancel the Alpkit. Really don't want any reliability issues with kit.
Its a good quilt, and ill use mine until it dies (but won't buy another)
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Like I said, I'm not after a full on bikepacking quilt, just an extra layer for a bit of everything.
Hotels and b&bs will be another use, along with impromptu car naps and business trips (anyone else bivvied at a trade show? Just me?...well...)

I've currently got a US army style poncho liner from my other hobby that I cant bring myself to carry, weighs 1.2kg and most of that weight is the brass fittings and 550d cordura fabric!

Hoping this is a better alternative, and nice heads up on the length, though I'm only 5'4" (on a good day) and a slither under 8 stone :lol:
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Hey Haywire, thanks for raising this topic - if you hadn't I'd wouldn't have seen some quite realistic comments about the Alpkit I was buying. They were fine with refund and I ordered the cumulus one Stuart recommended. Cheers!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I still think the Cloudcover's a good buy, however for the lightweight bikepacker round town I wonder whether its universal nature is perhaps its downfall ... being everything to everyone, results in compromise and the lightweight bikepacker, usually doesn't like compromise.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Not used or even seen a cloud cover in the wild but my cumulus 150 from the place stu linked to has been better than expected temp wise. I've been borderline too hot at about 5* with a set of base layers on.
Only gripe is the shock cord on the underneath gets a bit tangled but can be unraveled in a few seconds.
Well worth the money.
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Are cumulus exclusively closed footbox quilts or convertible blankets?

Are there other alternatives to a do it all blanket?

I'm also wondering is a cloud cover could be used as a summer weight hammock underquilt? I've used my beastly poncho liner as an underquilt and wasn't too bad, but I was glad I didn't have to carry the bloody thing at the time
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

HaYWiRe wrote:Are cumulus exclusively closed footbox quilts or convertible blankets?

I'm also wondering is a cloud cover could be used as a summer weight hammock underquilt?
The quilts are closed footbox but they do "comforters" http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=54&vid=7 which answers your hammock underquilt question as well.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are cumulus exclusively closed footbox quilts or convertible blankets?
The quilts are all sewn in footbox but Cumulus do things they call comforters ... which are a blanket.
I'm also wondering is a cloud cover could be used as a summer weight hammock underquilt?
Yes, it'd work well as an underquilt.

EDIT beaten to it by 'fast fingers' Bob :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Great minds ... eh Stuart.

If you are feeling flush then there are the Stateside manufacturers like Enlightened http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/
Al

Post by Al »

I use mine as an under quit - I just tied a loop in the cord at each end, clipped it to the hammock line and used the cord loc to draw the fabric together and adjust where it sits under you.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Mine is with me on the TD. Used it at 9500ft on togwotee pass above theach snowline. Wasn't at all chilly. :wink:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

johnnystorm wrote:Mine is with me on the TD. Used it at 9500ft on togwotee pass above theach snowline. Wasn't at all chilly. :wink:
Shouldn't you be riding?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Taylor wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:Mine is with me on the TD. Used it at 9500ft on togwotee pass above theach snowline. Wasn't at all chilly. :wink:
Shouldn't you be riding?
Had brush mountain lodge been half a mile further along the trail I'd have been in the cloud cover at the side of the road! :|
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

HaYWiRe wrote:Are cumulus exclusively closed footbox quilts or convertible blankets?

Are there other alternatives to a do it all blanket?

I'm also wondering is a cloud cover could be used as a summer weight hammock underquilt? I've used my beastly poncho liner as an underquilt and wasn't too bad, but I was glad I didn't have to carry the bloody thing at the time
I have a cloudcover but haven't used it much yet, not in the wild at least. I agree with a lot of the comments above re: the CONS of one, bit small, daft cord, built "to-a-price" but that's like much Alpkit stuff (I like their gear but am not a fanboi). If I truly wanted a lightweight TQ I would go for the Cumulus, UKhammocks and umpteen cottage industry jobs from the US (though not directly comparable in price). I think the ebay guy is also one I have a quilt from and would recommend his stuff too.

I wouldn't buy a second-issue, pricier CC at the cost the OP mentions unless I absolutely couldn't manage the extra to buy a Cumulus or the like.

As for use as an UQ for hanging, I'd suggest changing out the daft cord they come fitted with for some shockcord. I admit to this being armchair spec-ing / design though. I've not used it as such, just imagine the non-elasticed cord they come with would give a poorer seal and be more prone to accidental / cack-handed / damage in use.