"Go-To" starter kit recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RobLyon

"Go-To" starter kit recommendations

Post by RobLyon »

Hi,

I'm looking for my 1st bike packing set-up and any go-to kit recommendations. For example in my biking group pretty much everyone has owned or still uses superstar nano tech pedals and charge spoon saddles as they are cheap, reliable and work well. I'm after any equivalent bike packing parts that may come in handy.

From what i've researched, and on the basis of the above i'm looking at buying,

Tent: Quechua Quickhiker Ultralight 2 or 3 man tent http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-u ... 45651.html
Mattress: Thermarest Neoair
Sleeping Bag: I've read about a Vango but can't remember the model

Saddlebag: KTM 18L (already got)
Frame Bag: Ibera
Stove: Probably a coke can stove
drybags from planet x or alpkit

I'm also looking for parts that can pull double duty by being used for bike packing and motorcycle touring.

Thats about as far as i've got, all thoughts, comments, opinions or recommendations welcome,

Cheers,

Rob
jamiep

Re: "Go-To" starter kit recommendations

Post by jamiep »

Alpkit Myti mug and cup
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

After having had (and rarely used) a full on winter sleeping bag I've now gone for a light summer bag that I can use on its own when it's warm but when it gets cooler I add a quilt as a second layer. The bag is a PHD, the quilt is from Cumulus - http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... ng-systems. Much more flexible and I get more use out of both items as during summer my wife will use the quilt rather than her 3 season bag. The bag or quilt on their own are fine down to 5C or so, together they are fine to -5C. Cost wise it's about the same as a -5C rated sleeping bag.

That the sort of thing you were wanting to know?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Oh, a 2.6kg is probably too heavy for bikepacking
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you look at the way people pack and what they pack, it quickly becomes obvious that there is no 'go to' kit. You really need to decide what you want to do and what type of experience you're after. Things like shelter, sleeping bag or mat should be goverened by the time of year you're going to use them, how much weight you're willing to carry, etc, etc. You really shouldn't choose them on the basis of whether they appear popular (there's fantastic kit out there that no one's ever heard of) or just because they're the cheapest option, this usually means you end up with 3 sleeping bags and 4 tents, only one of which you ever use. Ask yourself some questions (and be honest with the answers) and you'll have a much clearer picture as to what you really need.

However, having said that, there are some items that seem to be very popular, the Alpkit Mytimug, Hunka Bivvy bag and bicycle tarp are 3 items you'll see a lot of, they're good quality, do their intended job and are reasonably priced.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate everyone will have different preferences/requirements but there's some useful advice already.

I do have a cheap Tesco mummy and envelope sleeping bag already that I usually put the mummy inside the envelope bag but I thought it was about time for a decent bag.

I'm not racing and like a bit of comfort. Probably 2 nights max. I also don't want to be in the position as you say with lots of tents/bags etc. I've already got a car camping tent and only so much room to store stuff.

One of the trips i'd like to do is to the IOM Manx/Classic TT in August. Just mtb to different stops around the course without having to ride back to a base camp.

They do a 2 man tent that is 2kgs http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-u ... 45650.html
Also there's the wild country zephyros 2 at 1.7kg and a similar price. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201416376753? ... EBIDX%3AIT

My problem is i'm indecisive and want to skip as much trial & error as possible so i'm just going round in circles reading reviews. I also need to go to the store to see the tents in person to get a better idea of weight and pack size.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One of the trips i'd like to do is to the IOM Manx/Classic TT in August. Just mtb to different stops around the course without having to ride back to a base camp.
That's what Chew and myself did last year and had a great time. Neither of us had a tent (SMD Gatewood cape for me and BPWD Lair for chew), we always found somewhere nice and out of the way to pitch up for the night, I'm pretty sure a proper tent would have made that more difficult and would have prevented us tucking ourselves away in the forests.

Cooking kit was simply enough for a brew, spare clothes consisted of no more than 1 spare pair of socks and a lightweight down jacket for evening / sleeping. Both used Cumulus quilts (250 for Chew, 350 for me) and Exped / Neoair mats.

Aside from a few tools / spares, that was pretty much it for 5 days. I'd estimate my entire kit weighed a little under 3kg.
May the bridges you burn light your way
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I have the Quecha 3 person tent, its fantastic, survived proper British storms, roomy and no condensation issues, all in its a great tent and actual weight is 2.410kg

When shared between my partner and myself in only carrying 1.3kg (which for the space is great) and she carried 1.1kg

But after a,year I'm already fed up of the weight, or the faff and its just plain overkill.
I have no regrets buying it as a tent as I feel like it'll last years and is worth every penny. But what I've learnt is when bikepacking, any tent just seems too much.
I've yet to do much tarp camping myself but you can't go far wrong with alpkits offerings, and even If you don't like it as a shelter a tarp will never go to waste with its millions of uses.

And good quality drybags are essential, and a real staple is any bikepacking kit list :-bd