Hydration bladder in a framebag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

welshwhit

Hydration bladder in a framebag

Post by welshwhit »

Morning all,

After getting the bottle on the underside of my downtime covered in s**t all to often, my riding buddy suggested the obvious of reinstating the frame bag I ditched to carry the bottles and shove a bladder in there.

I know a lot of folk from these parts have done this, are there any particular bladders that lend themselves to this better than my 1.5 camelbak antidote - as this folds and traps water quite a bit.

Its a fairly small frame bag on a 16" ScandAl frame but I take on a fair amount of water when I ride.

Thanks folks

Drew
Ray Young

Re: Hydration bladder in a framebag

Post by Ray Young »

I tried that in a small framebag and didn't like it as it took up too much room. I now have a 750 ml bottle in a stem cell which works a treat.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

I tried this at the weekend on the peak 200. Didn't like it. Had to lean forward in to what felt like an awkward position to drink, could be fixed with a longer tube I suppose.
The main issue I had was not having An accurate idea of how much water I had left.

Could you put your bottle in a plastic bag before you put it on the down tube?

Going to try a stem cell next.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Fitting a crud catcher seems to keep the crap of my down tube mounted bottle.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:Fitting a crud catcher seems to keep the crap of my down tube mounted bottle.
this is the answer. A fat gut fender is even wider
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'd not read the pot fully but on two bikes I have partial frame bags and carry one bottle placed as far down the down tube as possible. one bike uses elite strap on bosses, the other a cut down mount skidmore adapter.

Speak to Beth at wildcat about this trickery - and get you framebag made wide, wide wide. In a frame that size it wont bulge too much as will not be very deep.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bottle with a cap on the spout and just use it to refill a clean bottle?

Re: wide frame bags, I was set to buy a new one but my revelate/surly moonlander one fits my cooker. Tapers out to about 6" wide at the front. Not yet caught my knees on it!
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I use a 1l or sometimes a 2l source liquirainer. These are not bladders but not bottles either. Very lightweight and quite cheap.

http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/liquitainer ... aterbottle

I put this in the frame bag and have a source tubing set attached. You can attach this set to rigid bottles to.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/sou ... GwodQVcA-w

If you carry two 1l source containers you can have one for clean water and one for dirty as they will connect directly to a sawer water filter. Lightweight and versatile water system.

I attach the mouthpiece by putting some Velcro around the tube near the mouthpiece, and then some Velcro around my wildcat harness. Easy to pull off tube to drink when needed.