Dual purpose bike advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mtbmarkymark

Dual purpose bike advice

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Seeking your thoughts on best to advise a friend. She is a keen & capable mountain biker with a number of 26" full suspension bikes.
She has expressed an interest in the putting together a bike that can be used for both occasional bikepacking and lightweight road touring
She is tall so I have suggested a bike based on a 29nr.
my initial thoughts were
a lightweight carbon 29nr frame with a carbon rigid fork ( On-One springs to mind ) but must have rack mounts on the frame
lightweight wheels with Stans crests & DT revs,
1x11 or similar transmission & BB7's discs / 160 rotors
Sick a pair of mountain bike tyres on = bikepacking mode, change to 35-38mm road tyres and add a rack for road touring

so I need your suggestions for a suitable frame and fork as a starting point and would welcome the thoughts of anyone who has tried to make up such a dual purpose machine.
Ben98

Re: Dual purpose bike advice

Post by Ben98 »

I think the salsa cutthroat will take a rack, seems to fit very well with everything you've asked if it will?
Brothersmith

Re: Dual purpose bike advice

Post by Brothersmith »

I am not sure i would go carbon if your thinking of adding racks, as your placing stresses on it its just not designed for with panniers. I can thoughrly recomend a Fargo though. Very capable rigid mtb and great tourer. I tend to run a 2.4 Chronical on a Velocity Blunt off road for a bit of extra cush and WTB Nanoraptors on Crest's front and rear for everything else. I have set mine up with Jones bars as I never really got on with the drop bars off road, I just add a set of aerobars for touring to give me a bit of a tuck/extra position when on road.

Think you might find 1x a bit limiting for something you want tour on as well. I run a 9 spd triple which while not very fashonable is as reliable as old boots, gives good gear coverage for on and off road and is easy to source When out on a trip :grin:

here it is in bikepacking mode
ImageFargo in bikepacking garb by -Brother Smith-

and in touring mode
ImageWaiting for Claonaig ferry at Lochranza by -Brother Smith-