Printing 1:25000 os maps online?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Nevis

Printing 1:25000 os maps online?

Post by Nevis »

Im trying to print off a route using os 1:25000 maps via an online tool.

Tried the os maps premium subscription, tried view ranger but both their printing tools appear to be beyond useless.

Any other sites i can try?
cyclingtiger

Re: Printing 1:25000 os maps online?

Post by cyclingtiger »

It's a bit of a kludge but you could use the print function in streetmap.co.uk. In the print page you can use the Click here for a larger map function and on that page drag the map around to centre it how you want.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Nevis wrote:Im trying to print off a route using os 1:25000 maps via an online tool.

Tried the os maps premium subscription, tried view ranger but both their printing tools appear to be beyond useless.

Any other sites i can try?
What couldn't you do with the OS page? I now do all my D of E groups maps at 1:25k using it. It is a bit of a faff but then I guess they don't want people selecting the whole of the UK and hitting "print all" at work. :grin:
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

I'm trying to print the CL route

Normally I like to buy the paper maps but it covers quite a few sheets so £££ and too many to carry.

I realise I'll most likely still end up printing out a fair bit but I can keep it tight to the route and double sided it should make it manageable.

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see any way to print grid squares that follow a route. If I try and do it manually by moving the map around whilst printing the sections, when you print to scale what appears on the print is different to the area shown on the screen.

I have a Premium 7 day trial on OS, just glad I didn't pay for it. if it worked, at £3.99 I'd consider it a cracking deal.

Viewranger is even worse and in fact useless. They spout about the great new feature to print a map but it simply scales the whole route to fit on A4(!) even though it gives you the option to choose 1:25k (which I purchased). I get on fine with the app btw.

It's all very frustrating, I guess I'm just expecting too much :(
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Nevis

If this was yesterday then the site may have been not fully functioning.
I logged in and all my stored routes had disappeared and it refused to load new gpx files even though it said it had.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Cheers Mariner.

Benn having trouble last night and this morning.

I've switched over to Firefox from IE and it seems stable now.

Half way round and on sheet 7 so getting there but it's clunky and sloooow.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Done the outer loop now.

I set the page size to A3 and then "print to scale". Change orientation to fit max on per sheet.

Print a sheet and save as pdf. Move print preview window to join to previous pdf and print again and again and again....

It's taken 20 sheets to do the outer loop so double sided will give me 10.

Will print and scale it to a4.

It's just for backup if our phones die and also for pawing over in the pub.

Just need to do the inner now.

So, doable on OS maps but not straight forward!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I've just used the O.S. layer on bingmaps in the past (totally free and goes to 1:25k) , used snipping tool to copy the bits I want and paste into a publisher document to join up and tidy up before printing . Again this has just been for back up maps in case of phone death.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

I overlayed a gpx route was was useful, not sure if you can fo that with bing?

I thought id try the app because if that was any good it was easily justify the cost but ive juat installed it on my phone its as buggy as hell.

Shame because viewranger maps are so chuffing expensive.

Seems precious little with os maps that would make me want to pay for it at the moment especially, as you say, they are availiable for free elsewhere.

Ill be keeping an eye on it though, hopefully it'll improve soon.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Have you finished printing yet OS website keeps freezing? :lol:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Hmm.... Depends which version of bing you can get to over lay gpx. In the past you could upload a gpx, but recent versions don't allow it.

A bit long winded but obviously in publisher you can draw the route on yourself.

I've said before but I use maverick app for Android and I can get all o.s.1:25k free on it. Not much use for planning but you can upload a gpx that you've plotted on say strava to it.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Mariner; it was rock solid in firefox. Got all 27 sheets printed as pdfs now and then merged them together in acrobat.

Just installing maverick now so ill give that a spin.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I bought an OS sub last year and did exactly what you're doing for the CG loop and a few other trips. It's rubbish for a paid-for service and I won't renew my sub.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

It's rubbish for a paid-for service and I won't renew my sub.
That's provided you don't have the auto renewal box ticked. :lol:
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Moder-dye wrote:I use maverick app
Ive been playing with and it seems good, certainly easier the viewranger.

The only issue i'm having is offline maps. Ive got myself a bing key and set that up ok. When i highlight an area it downloads ok too. What ive noticed though is if you zoom in whilst offline it doesnt necessarily have the tiles for the higher zoom rates. Is that your experience too? Is there a way round it?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

On my phone I scan through the area I want at 15x1 to cache it at 1:25k and also at 13x1 to cache it at 1:50k. It may be a different first number on your device to get the scale that you want. Then of I need to I can change the second number in use off line to magnify e.g. 15x3 instead of x1. If you press the 15x1 it turns red and you can use + or - to change magnification. Press again to fix that number.

As you've found out it only caches for off line use what you've scanned through at the scale you're scanned at.

Just means you twiddle through a new area/ route and surroundings before you go.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Ok cool. Done that but i reckon i just blew my limit as i got all the way round the CGL in 1:30 and 3/4 round in the 1:25 the it stopped cahcing tiles. I really like the litte x hairs feature where you line it up the the route and it tells you that stats for that point. Very simple, certainly compared to view ranger! Os maps should buy this app and use it instead of theirs. Happily pay my monthly then!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Sometimes it does stop caching. Close it down and start again on a little while. Also if you have a decent sized SD card transfer it to that as it's a lot of data.

I have maverick pro, not expensive, as it has some other features I use for work.

Other benefit is the various maps to you can cache and use in the same way including satellite.

I sound like a sales man for it lol! But IMO it's ace.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Sold, i bought it earlier today. Hope you get your commission ;)

Also like that it does geocahces as thats a favorite of my daughter.