Clips or flats?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: Clips or flats?

Post by Richard G »

Chew wrote:
Richard G wrote:Out of interest, why wouldn't you try using proper mountain biking shoes? I wouldn't even consider using walking / hiking boots on the bike.
Is there any real difference?

Never tried 5:10's as they seem to be fragile, take ages to dry and expensive. Not really ideal for mutliday stuff
Grip. Less of an issue for pootling about, big advantage for gnarlier trails. You can get someone to put a similar sole on walking boots, but only a few places do it, and it's expensive.

As for fragile... not even slightly. Don't really have too much of an issue drying mine either, but I do have the "weather resistant" version.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

jameso wrote:
Zippy wrote:
jameso wrote:. Got a set of DXs that's going on the Jones for my next overnighter.
I had a set of DX's - I wasn't impressed with their flexiness when riding. They're alright for walking about in, but nothing special.
I have the the light grey old DX flat pedals, rather than the DX shoes I think you mean? : )
Yes, sorry, I got the wrong end of stick!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Richard G wrote:Grip. Less of an issue for pootling about, big advantage for gnarlier trails
I doubt theres any difference in reality. Most of the grip comes from how your body weight pushes your feet into the pedals.

I'd try some hiking shoes you have laying about and see if you can tell the difference.

Just saying to anyone flat curious, its fairly cheap to give it a whirl and see if they prefer it.
Its all personal preference at the end of the day :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I have, they slipped around massively.

In fact I went through about 5 different pairs before I ended up buying the five tens and finally being happy with the grip situation (especially when wet underfoot).

Edit - To clarify, this is grip when seated rather than when standing, when any old (relatively) soft soled shoe would do.
Last edited by Richard G on Fri May 13, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Clipless if you want to go fast.

Flats if you want to wear trainers, pop to the shops or look rad.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

as a veteran of WRT LHC 'B' team I can confirm that Pickers (the OP of this thread) doesn't need flats to look Rad! That's a given! :mrgreen:
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

Tread pattern makes a big difference for me, I usually ride with 5:10 freeriders, which have a flat ish, bike specific tread, but the other day I thought I'd give it a try riding in my 5:10 camp fours, which are hiking boots with lugged soles, and I found it a bit sketchy when the terrain got a bit rougher, it felt like I was more on top of the pedal, the additional flexibility might have also played a part.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

As now in the Postmans Been thread, I'm now the proud owner of a set of Saint pedals... let's see how we get on.

Probably now on course to be Rad to the Power of Knackered Shins
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

You'll almost certainly wreck your shins a few times. I have quite the collection of scars from "refining technique". :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:You'll almost certainly wreck your shins a few times. I have quite the collection of scars from "refining technique". :lol:
It's a right of passage :lol: The strikes to the shins hurt but those to the calves bleed more :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I don't know if this is chainring or pedals. I recall it wasn't comfortable at the time...

Chew

Post by Chew »

Pickers wrote:As now in the Postmans Been thread, I'm now the proud owner of a set of Saint pedals... let's see how we get on.

Probably now on course to be Rad to the Power of Knackered Shins
You might find it beneficial to unscrew the pins and remove the small spacers.
It'll push the pins out further which will help with grip.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I use flats with hiking boots or trainers and have the dashed line scars to prove it.
Never used clipless - terrified of making myself look like like an eejit.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Bit of everything for me. Spd sl on the roadie, flat/spd on the 29er and flats on the full sus.

Kind of given up on spds and mostly ride with a pair of old walking boots which worn with seal skinz and overshoes are pretty good and keeping my feet warm and dry. At first i may have been preocuppied with loss of effiency, not a "proper" cyclist, etc but now i just dont give a...

Dont be affraid of clipless, i always go by the rule of 3 tumbles then you're and expert. Doesnt take long!

As a boy i remember turning turtle with my bike stuck straight up in the air and my feet firmly strapped to the pdeals. Required the assistance of a passer by to be extracted from the mess :oops:
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

I think everyone who uses clipless has done it at least once, and usually twice :D

Although in my defence I hadn't tightened the shoe cleats enough for the second one so the cleats were birling about as I tried to undo my foot :O luckily it was that wee road out to the summer isles so could fall off gracefully onto some soft grass...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

One thing I would say on SPD... consider getting them fitted professionally. I nearly permanently ruined my knees by fucking up my cleat placement and doing some seriously long rides without realising.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

You might find it beneficial to unscrew the pins and remove the small spacers.
It'll push the pins out further which will help with grip.
Cheers Chew, I'll give that a go.

I too did the graceful sideways collapse a few times, a couple with clips & straps (loooong time ago) and then repeated when I first had a set of Look (Delta.... still 20+ years ago) pedals. I'd got it sussed when I got spds.
that wee road out to the summer isles
The one that goes past Stac Pollaidh? That's a great bit of tarmac!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Pickers exactly yep! Past Stac Pollaidh but just before it gets properly 'isley'. Really nice round there - it was mid afternoon so we pushed on, but would have been great to have camped in one of all those mini bays on the lochs!

That said, ended up camping on a a pre-campsite worksite connected to a pub (for free) which was nice! :)