Taking your bike on the train

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

bryanwadd

Taking your bike on the train

Post by bryanwadd »

Something I'm unsure about at the moment is taking a bike on the train, I'd like to hear your experiences and advice please.

Is it easily done?
Do I have to book in advance or can I just get to any station with my (muddy) bike and take it on the train?
Does my bike go in a special carriage?
Can I just take my bike on the passenger area if it's not busy?
How much does it cost?
... some other question I have not though about...

Thanks
Bryan
atk

Re: Taking your bike on the train

Post by atk »

In order...

Sometimes.
Sometimes.
Sometimes.
Sometimes.
Nothing (other than maybe your sanity...).

Check: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_ ... lists.aspx and then the operators pages.
Generally speaking it's best to contact the train operator beforehand and do what they say!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Where are you based?

Mersey rail are amazing, no need to and more to the point, you can't book it on.

Arriva are ok too, only had a problem once by a man with small man syndrome.

Anywhere else, call up and pre book. Much less hassle to do it in advance, you may need to phone up or go to a station
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Most routes are easy going -especially up North. I think the record I've seen on our commuter train in the morning is 13 full sized - non folding - bikes. Plus a few folders.

Virgin trains are a major exception - they are quite strict - evil even. Book in advance for them, don't always expect it to work out either.

Mostly, its fine. Mostly.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

if traveling through inverness ALWAYS book.

its a Major bottle neck and every time ive used it without fail ive seen cyclists turned away.

Hell i was near turned away because i had booked my bike and turned up with a bike and trailer........
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not sure if it's still the case but the West Highland line you do need to book - I've always had to anyway until as recently as last June.

Never had a problem with Virgin Trains TBH, booked in advance and they've been fine.

I'd be wary of any service that still uses Sprinters, there is very limited space on them, usually a maximum of two. When we did The Sandstone Way last year, fine from Berwick to Newcastle on the main line but from Newcastle to Hexham was a Sprinter, got to the stop at The Metro Centre and it felt like Primark had emptied their store on to the train :shock:

Not had to suffer anything down south :-bd but as Greg says it's generally fine up here.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ddraver

Post by ddraver »

Great Western you have to book a ticket, THEN ring up the station and book the bike (though I have gotten away with it)

(Holland it's a flat Eur 6.10 to go anywhere, but not at peak times)
bryanwadd

Post by bryanwadd »

Thanks for all your responses.
voodoo_simon wrote:Where are you based?
I'm in Milton Keynes so that's Virgin Trains and MIdland if I'm travelling from home but I'm thinking about all round the UK.. and it seems to be different depending where you are.

So it's not really possible to book via Trainline, I've never seen an option to book your bike on the train? Best to phone up the particular operator or use their direct website then I guess.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

All you need to know here:http://cycle.travel/advice/cycling_by_train

Ariva are a nightmare on the Cardiff to Crew/Manchester route (Via Hereford, Church Stretton, Shrewsbury etc) as its only got space for 2 bikes, always busy and the guards enforce the on-booking = no travel rule. Booking by phone only and 48hrs in advance (even thought its officially supposed to be 24hr) which always a bit of a cock.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Definitely book before - we took two bikes, a chariot trailer 6 ortleib panniers ( and a 3yr old) from Exeter to Portsmouth harbour with one change. My partner booked it; I was totally stressed out beforehand, but in reality it was fine including the return trip. :grin:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Scotrail you need to book your ticket and bike by phone at the same time. The number is on their site.Its a bit of a long winded way of doing it but works.

They have limited numbers allowed on the train and so far it's been a bike rack thing at one end of the carriage to pit your bik on which means taking off any frame bag to get the bike on it.
bryanwadd

Post by bryanwadd »

So when you're stood there on the platform with your bike and the train pulls up, where do you put your bike. Does the guardsman jump out and tell you?
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've got the train at Milton Keynes a load of times with a bike, folding or non-, peak and off-peak. For London Midland hading south beforer 9.30am you'll need a folder, other times either way it's easy, just get on. If you find the bike carriage or someone can tell you where it'll pull up all's good but otherwise I just lean it against the opposing doors and sit near it in case any stops are on that side.
For Virgin you need to book but generally they have staff that tell you what carriage, before or as it arrives, and there's time.

I found I can get from here to near Cannock for a fiver each way last week, so that's a train>Peak District plan in mind for the summer. Seems it's worth having a look at minor stations for cheap rates.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Generally pretty easy but as pointed out Virgin and Scotrail (getting to / from Highland or John O' Groats usually) can be problematic. Best ticket prices are usually online but then you have to get your bike ticket at the station in advance. It is rare for all places to be taken only seen it in Scotland or if you clash with something like London - Brighton ride.

There is usually a specific carriage which on the major InterCity routes is usually the rear coach. ECML has it in the front coach. Local services can be anywhere.but the coaches do have a cycle sign on the appropriate door. You can ask a staff member on the platform who will help you if they can. Or if convenient go train spotting in advance and see how it works.

Cross Country services have racks where you hang up your front wheel. If you have a 29er it won't fit! Virgin may be the same, can't remember.

Despite the negative comments don't let it put you off. If it is a Virgin train make sure you book in advance and if not Virgin you can turn up and probably be OK. Leaving home you will be quite certain of your departure time returning may change for various reasons so if using two different operators bear that in mind.
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

Moder-dye wrote:Scotrail you need to book your ticket and bike by phone at the same time. The number is on their site.Its a bit of a long winded way of doing it but works.

They have limited numbers allowed on the train and so far it's been a bike rack thing at one end of the carriage to pit your bik on which means taking off any frame bag to get the bike on it.
Except for the central belt, because you can't book here...
Ayrshire line has spaces & you can stand in the doorways with your bike if they're full.
Glesga to Edina line has spaces that must be used or the conductor goes mental at you & then boots you aff at the next stop.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

We booked onto the WH Line just for the short hop from Taynuilt to Tyndrum and it was far from a relaxing experience. As the train drew to a halt a uniformed woman jumped off and started yelling at us that we couldn't get on with panniers (neither of us had panniers) so we had to strip all the bikepacking luggage off before grudgingly being allowed to board. As soon we were on the train started moving but then she realised that our (fat) bike wheels wouldn't easily fit on the hook hanger things that you're supposed to hang the bike on. I think if we hadn't been already moving she would have tried to throw us back off the train but fortunately we managed to lash the bikes onto the hooks using straps off our luggage. There was absolutely no reason to remove the luggage (panniers need to come off to allow enough space either side of the bikes on the racks) but we had to do it anyway. All told it was a pretty negative experience, not because it was difficult to get the bikes on the train but purely because of the attitude and ignorance of a member of Scotrail's staff. Maybe we were just unlucky? :roll:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

NorwayCalling wrote:Ariva are a nightmare on the Cardiff to Crew/Manchester route...
Interesting...Arriva ex Shrewsbury going to Caersws are always really good, same for the 1-stop hop to Church Stretton, same for Manchester. I tend to stay with the bike and (touch wood) don't get any hassle.

GWR was interesting with the hangers...my front wheel wouldn't fit. One of the station hands at Taunton felt compelled to hand me a brochure on travelling with a bike. I think he was more concerned at the general grubbiness and how much mud I'd be dropping.

Greetz

S.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Whatever the Train Operating Company's official position, ultimately you have to deal with their staff who are just as varied in their attitude towards bikes/customers/the world as any other group of individuals. On the Settle-Carlisle line for example you get conductors who will help you get your bike on/off, delay the departure slightly so you aren't stranded etc. and others who will hardly give you the time of day. Fortunately the latter are a definite minority and approaching retirement :-bd

As for booking bikes on to trains, we've always found it best to nip down to the nearest station with a ticket office and do it face to face.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Not been turned away - even when taking 3 bikes on trains that only allow you to book 2 - does make me feel nervous though. So i always have a plan b - which is the number of bike hire at our destination and a big lock to leave the 3rd bike on the station. Tricky as an adult with two kids in tow but so far it's worked out.

I use the red spotted hanky site to book bikes on - other websites let you book bikes but they were the first so I tend to stick with them.

When I do rail and sail bookings (egg to the isle of man) I always go to the station to book as they are a major faff and it's just easier
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Cross Country services have racks where you hang up your front wheel. If you have a 29er it won't fit! Virgin may be the same, can't remember.
On Cross Country, there's two sections for bikes. One either side of the corridor into the main part of the carriage. If you've got a 29er or other odd shaped bike, stick it in the section designed for one bike in whatever balancing act works for you. You might need to pop out the front wheel first if you've particularly wide bars. Alternatively, if it's not busy, the big floor level luggage compartment in the corridor is about bike height so you could pop it in there if you're not shy about rearranging people's luggage.

The last Virgin train I went on had a guards van type area and people being really stroppy about having to make an effort to go and unlock it to let you on and off. That's when you've got a booking. The shitstorm they'll create if you haven't is rarely worth the effort.

Mainly I use Cross Country, East Midlands and Trans Pennine. I rarely book and even more rarely have I not been able to get on. My main issue is usually with other passengers being careless around equipment they don't really understand.

I used to travel from London to Swindon regularly on a Friday afternoon. If I got ahead of the 4pm price hike, Advance 1st Class was only 50p more than Standard. That included a cup of tea and a guy who would offer to take my bike to the guards van for me.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Never had any hassle with Arriva on the Wales line either, and I've taken my bike on the train between Craven Arms/Church Stretton/Shrewsbury dozens of times, including during commuting hours. Never bothered to book, just rock up and climb on. The carriage with the bike storage will have a sticker on the door.

Edit: Also use the Transpennie/Virgin between Leeds and York regularly with the bike, never had a problem with that either. Or taking that train to Manchester and then getting Arriva back home to Church Stretton.
andibs

Post by andibs »

Mate and I were planning on catching train from Yorkshire to Edinburgh and then cycling to Glasgow and then Inverness. Had to change our plans as on the day of return, only one train that day and it only had one bike space.

Andy
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Policy update for Great Western Trains (formerly First Great Western).

http://road.cc/content/news/189317-grea ... eed-routes
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Arriva ex Shrewsbury going to Caersws are always really good," - agreed. To/from WRT was fine. A few local people did one/two-station hops with bikes and no booking, stayed with bikes, guard seemed happy. When I travel from Milton Keynes, I now tend to phone Arriva direct to book on their part of the journey.

"For Virgin you need to book but generally they have staff that tell you what carriage, before or as it arrives, and there's time". I travel a lot from MK on Virgin-On-The-Ridiculous (*). Book bike at same time as ticket, at the ticket office. Tell oppo on platform which train you're on AND where you're getting off, or you might find nobody there to open the door! Bikes usually in coach A (front going north), which happily for me is also the "Quiet" coach.

"Cannock for a fiver each way" - yep it's brill. Ride from Rugeley station up A460 to Marquis's Drive, do the Cliffs, then you have the cafe half way round, then back for a couple more Cliffs runs. Finally a stop-off at the Red Lion in town where there's generally loads of eccentric goings-on.... have as many beers as you like cos of course you're sensibly not driving!

Two more cracking trips from MK: to Llandudno Jc or Bangor in under 3 hours; and Macclesfield in a bonkers 1h20mins for bivi in Macc Forest then over to Peaks for a couple of days back via Hathersage/Manchester.

"Reg"

(*) Quick story: used to commute to Euston on local trains. Got delayed one day, cos Branson train broken down at MK, and eventually guard came on PA. "We're sorry for the delay to your journey, this has been caused by a failed Virgin at Milton Keynes". Well there are certainly plenty (**) of those in MK!! :-).
(**) Er, nothing to do with me though Officer.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
bryanwadd

Post by bryanwadd »

This coming Sunday I am booked to go from Dovey Junction to Knighton via Shrewsbury. I was able to book my my bike on the train to Shrewsbury but the train from Shrewsbury to Knighton doesn't allow your bike to be booked ahead and I was told just speak to someone at Shrewsbuty station once I was there. Fingers crossed.