Head Torches

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Head Torches

Post by Chew »

Looking for a new head torch to use for casual night riding.

Thinking something to take when full lights shouldnt be needed, but you've spent a bit too long in the pub, or for Tuscany where i wont have the battery life, but may need to ride in the dark for an hour to find somewhere to bivi.

So, Light, cheapish and battery powered?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Head Torches

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fenix MC10 (or 11) with headstrap will do exactly what you want. If you want to spend more then the Zebra Light like Mike uses are very good.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I have an ebay special that takes AAA batteries and produces a claimed 900 lumens. I'm sure it's nothing like that but it's plenty for what you describe. It's also dimmable and focusable. Amazing for the £10 or so that I paid. It wipes the floor with a Petzl I bought recently at four times the price. Only downside is that nagging feeling that it might stop working just when you need it most. (There's always a downside if you look hard enough.)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Have a ganders at the nitecore range too. http://www.nitecore.co.uk/

Also have the option obviously of picking a more std torch and adding the headstrap.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Zebra light here all the time never use anything else it's great!
HUX

Post by HUX »

+1 for the zebra chew. vaguely exciting bit of kit
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Hi, that's reminded me I have a Zebralight H501 i'm not using.
It's used but not abused, £25 posted.
The OP can have first refusal after which i'll put it in the classifieds
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

If Chew doesn't want that I'll have it please :)
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Putting in a shout for my headtorch, Black Diamond ReVolt 130

Reasons I like it
- single head unit and battery combined, no separate battery pack
- spot and flood beams
- red LEDs for night time use
- takes 3 AAA batteries
- battery indicator
- lock out feature to stop it coming on by accident

And the real deal breaker - it has a recharging circuit built in, so you can recharge the 3 AAA batteries it comes with in situ, it uses a micro USB cable so can be charged with a battery pack, dynamo, or mains charger

Therefore makes a brilliant multi day or regular use torch. You can just top up the batteries before you head out, but also buy batteries if you need them

I admit I spent a while researching the best headtorch for my needs
Mart

Post by Mart »

I did consider the BD Revolt (above) but at £60 found it a bit pricey.
The Alpkit Viper (at under £20) has similar lumen output, OK you have to use batteries, but I usually put new ones in for a weekend and it does just fine
https://www.alpkit.com/products/viper
2924 miles per Gallon
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I don't mind spending quite a bit on a headtorch as I use it all the time. I was replacing a Petzl Tactikka XP that was about 10 years ago, so on a price per year basis I'm happy. You're right though, it's not cheap

The Alpkit Viper looks to be a cracker though, and at that price is a good default option
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I'm a big fan of Headtorches that use a single AA battery. They seem to have a better battery life than the 3 x AAA type and spare batteries are available everywhere. Alpkit did one called the Muon recently ( but it now seems to have disappeared ! ) and I have been using a similar Robens one ( Visio LX 25 ) for years. Most are not powerfull enough for riding but a good enough for walking with a bike and around camp. Some of the Fenix / Zebralight ones have much higher lumen output and are good enough to ride with
jameso

Post by jameso »

Anyone know of a good USB chargeable head torch? Suprised that they're no more common now seeing how bright / compact UBB bike lights have become.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

jameso wrote:Anyone know of a good USB chargeable head torch? Suprised that they're no more common now seeing how bright / compact UBB bike lights have become.
i.e. something running a Lithium battery, or do you still want something you can replace the batteries in easily. If it's the latter then it's the one I recommended above

If it's the former, then I don't know of many that charge direct (i.e. lithium battery with a built in charging circuit) - Petzl Nao, USE headtorch, there must be more (and not something cheap and dodgy from China)
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks Ben. After something with a built-in Lithium cell that charges off my dynamo box, would like to cut batteries out of my pack list. Hadn't seen the USE / Exposure light. The Petzl yes but it's bulky, headtorches seem like a good candidate for something no bigger than a small bike headlight but so far I've not seen anything good. Also haven't looked that hard, tbh : )
Si

Post by Si »

Black Diamond Sprinter is a decent USB chargeable headtorch. Good adjustable output, small pack size, light weight, good run time, built in blinky rear light, expensive!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Sprinter is a good light

If you like the Petzl Nao approach, the Petzl R+ and RXP keep some of the functionality with a form size of a 3AAA headtorch. I don't think they're massively well regarded though

I really like this website for headlight reviews (in fact other reviews too)

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-Headlamp/Ratings
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Popped into Costco today and bought this twin pack (why a twin pack? I've only got one head)

It claims 210 lumens for £10.18 inc vat (just £5.09 each) 6hr burn time on full & 16hrs on 72 lumen (side led's clear/red/green) and the kit includes 2 rear red blinkers with a round CR2023 battery and 6 x Duracell batteries 3 for each head torch in the pack. #Bargain

With the silly top strap removed
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

I carry a petzl e lite for around camp and just let my bike lights do the rest. - so based on my current kit id likely plug my exposure joystick into my helmet seeing as on low it last for ever and a day.

Dont you find with the top strap removed on that go lite light it has a tendancy to slide down at the front doing anything more than sitting if its anything less than cutting off the circulation to your brain tight . I tried that with an alpkit light a while back - then put the strap back on,

Looks good for running that go lite though with the rear red blinker
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Wow, that is a bargain John :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Trail-rat wrote: Dont you find with the top strap removed on that go lite light it has a tendancy to slide down at the front doing anything more than sitting if its anything less than cutting off the circulation to your brain tight
No idea, but at that price,
I can have the round the head one for campfire/bothy/bivi work and the over the head one for carrying when I'm going to ride into the dusk.
Will try and get a beam show after dark, but in daylight they are plenty bright
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Night time shot from my camera phone of the above head torch

I think for the money, this ticks all of Chew's boxes

PS, yes I know the grass is poor, I've re sowed some grass seeds :geek:
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

want one ;)