Let's have a chat about knee pain.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sussex Paul

Re: Let's have a chat about knee pain.

Post by Sussex Paul »

I had similar pains in my right knee on the BB200, I went to see a physio, who identified that right hand buttock was woefully underpowered (not sure a physio should really be taking the mickey out of you whilst you're actually laying there), he gave me a programme of exercises to strengthen my glutes on the right hand side, which has helped, but couldn't identify why they would be weaker than the left hand side. Fast forward 12 months and I had a bike fit, which showed that I had my saddle too low, which caused me to ride with my right hand side slightly dropped, which they now think is the likely cause of the weakness.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Odd, I would have thought having it too high would have caused you to drop off to one side, rather than the other way around.
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

My right hand hip and knee were both lower than the left hand side,. I think the left hand side was getting pretty much the correct amount of extension, and because the saddle was too low the right hand side was dropping down to allow the left hand side to extend to where it wanted to be, if that makes sense?

Raising the saddle corrected the balance, and got my hips and knees inline.
Physiobikefit

Post by Physiobikefit »

@Taylor - yes can be arranged. In on a Monday usually

Lots of other good ways on here to help with pain. Wedges are a useful are indeed a useful tool to help offload structures when there is pain, but used in combination with specific strengthening exercises. Their fitting should be pre assessed by a bike fitter who is a physio or who has appropriate functional anatomy training.

Orthotics for cycling shoes and running are different. Yes, use arch support in the cycling shoe if needed as the arch plays no part in cycling. In running it is very much a part of foot mechanics and its 'collapse' is part of movement. The way to support the running foot is wedging at the heel. This stops the heel from rolling in whilst allowing the arch to function.
Scott CORNISH BSc MCSP
Physiotherapist, sports masseur and Physiobikefit
French and German speaker
Endurance race Editor for UKXCNews.com
Twitter: physio_scott
Tel: 0044 (0)7960 17 24 62
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

After we came back from cycling almost 1000km in Cuba, I didn't ride for a couple of weeks. On my first ride I developed pain in my right knee after 10 miles, struggled for another 15 then bailed out. Never had a pain anywhere until then. Same thing happened 2 weeks later. Going out again and if still in pain then I'm going to physio.
Al

Post by Al »

Long time lurker - first post.

Saw the discussion about knee pain and thought I'd chip in. I've had on and off problems for a few years but have had loads of success with this book which I got from the library on a whim.
It's quite road oriented, but the exercises for correcting knee tracking have been a bit of a revelation in sorting out my creaking pins without forking out a fortune on physios.
Well worth a look:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Pain-Free-C ... 1472906594
Physiobikefit

Post by Physiobikefit »

You shouldn't have to spend a fortune on physios, a good one will take you through exercises (you don't need lots, only a few which do the job well) relevant TO YOU (the important aspect) and teach you how to progress them to make sure that the strength gains are ongoing and also teach you how to self manage for the long term.

It is always worth seeing a bike related physio to make sure that you are doing the best exercises for the issue and that they are being done correctly.
Scott CORNISH BSc MCSP
Physiotherapist, sports masseur and Physiobikefit
French and German speaker
Endurance race Editor for UKXCNews.com
Twitter: physio_scott
Tel: 0044 (0)7960 17 24 62
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd just like to say thank you for all the advice and suggestions ... I can report that a week in and trying to walk, still feels like trying to walking on a broken leg. At least the lousy weather makes me feel better about it. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Everybody I say this to tells me I'm an idiot (nothing new there) but I've had every cycling injury under the sun and cured all of them by keeping riding and dropping the intensity. My theory is the body adapts. Whereas if you stop and let it go away the body fixes the injury and it does not adapt. It works for me every time. I had a real ankle problem after LeJOG and simply dropped the ride intensity to cure it. It took a while to go away but I am 100% certain it wont come back. Caveat, this is piss poor advice, do not take it (or sue me).
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Everybody I say this to tells me I'm an idiot (nothing new there) but I've had every cycling injury under the sun and cured all of them by keeping riding and dropping the intensity. My theory is the body adapts. Whereas if you stop and let it go away the body fixes the injury and it does not adapt. It works for me every time. I had a real ankle problem after LeJOG and simply dropped the ride intensity to cure it. It took a while to go away but I am 100% certain it wont come back. Caveat, this is piss poor advice, do not take it (or sue me).
I hear what you're saying Dave and generally I have a cavalier attitude to injury / pain but at the moment I'm unable to reduce cycling intensity below its present level of bugger all ... can't lift my leg high enough to get on board a bike :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

....aaaaaaand I just bolloxed up my leg (just under my knee) doing squats yesterday. That's what I get for pushing my limits. :(
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

ive been out with a catalogue of old injuries since the beginning of January (back, shoulder and elbow) im only now with the help of many physio visits, massages and flotation tank I feel like im on the better end of all this agony (physical And mental) due to no riding for two months :sad:

I feel your pain Stu, I also had a terrible knee pain a few years back that I thought might be connected to my back problem BUT it was an imbalance with the patella tendon that was rectified quite quickly with a couple of physio visits and some strange heels together toes out leg extensions at the local gym, it might be worth looking into?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I feel your pain Stu, I also had a terrible knee pain a few years back that I thought might be connected to my back problem BUT it was an imbalance with the patella tendon that was rectified quite quickly with a couple of physio visits and some strange heels together toes out leg extensions at the local gym, it might be worth looking into?
Physio on Friday Tony, so I've got my fingers crossed.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Best o luck Stu, a 'good' physio can do wonders :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well, first visit to the physio today and things might not be as bad as they feel. After plenty of prodding, poking and discussion, he pretty much diagnosed a weak arse ... he did put it differently but that's what he meant. He believes the swap to a different bike probably brought it on.

So, it's on with the exercises and see where we end up ... oh, if you find yourself having to visit the physio with a poorly leg, don't go thinking wearing knee length shorts is good enough .............. put some pants on under 'em :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like Physiobikefit wasn't too far off the mark :grin: Physio is like skills training - it's up to you to do the work :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

Was it private or nhs physio you went to?

Took me 17 weeks waiting to see NHS physio, i spent 10-15 minutes answering questions and got told to come back in 2 weeks time. No poking/prodding or anything.

This was last week and my next appt is next friday. Ive seen a private sports physio twice since then, and i must admit, im feeling quite an improvement already from the physical manipulation stuff he does. I wish i hadnt left it so long.

Do agree about the pants below shorts though. I wasnt sure and went on the safe side, and im glad i did :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Was it private or nhs physio you went to?
NHS - sometimes rural life has its advantages. I don't know whether it's different everywhere else but we can self refer to the physio here, so it was 12 days from posting my referral form to first visit.
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

We can self refer here also.

I did that, 5 weeks later i phoned up to see what was happening and there seemed to be no record of my form being handed in. So then my doc reffered me.
13 weeks waiting list from when doctor reffered me, and then i got a letter telling me to phone up and make my appt, which was 4 weeks further on.

Only to go there for 15 mins and be told to come back in 2 weeks. Mildly annoying to say the least :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Quite often NHS and private are the same people they'll do a couple of days private and a couple of days at the local hospital.

When I wanted physio on my hip I asked a mate who's a local runner who he'd seen and it just so happened that they were about 15mins walk from where I worked at the time so very handy. The "tell me about your injury history bit" took most of the first session! :lol:

We are reasonably rural but also close to services: the local general hospital is less than 4 miles away (at the time of the above physio it was also under 15mins walk from work); referrals are pretty quick, you'll ring up to arrange an Xray and the response is "can you come round now?".
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

Just over a week since being told to make the appointment for 2 weeks time, and i got a letter today cancelling my appointment and putting it back by another 3 weeks. :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Weak arse... as a Northerner you should be ashamed. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yay, my first ride in nearly a month ... I say 'ride' but should clarify it as, a 3 minute bimble round the yard to try out my Stooge with 650b+ wheels / tyres ... I can assure you, both felt good :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

:-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Started squatting again yesterday... no pain. Touch wood I can stay in good condition for a while.

Lots of riding planned this year.