Bugger: my Synmat has imploded!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Bugger: my Synmat has imploded!

Post by TheBrownDog »

My 12-month-old, used for max 20 nights lovingly cared for and much cherished Exped Synmat UL has pooped itself. Id just settled down for a quiet night out on the Ridgeway, rolled over a bit and it went bang and deflated a bit. Then it went bang again and deflated some more. Quick inspection showed one of the internal baffles that divide the sections has come away. Like the one in the photo but at the very edge. I still managed a reasonable night on it. This happened to anyone else?

Ive emailed Lyon who I think are the UK distributor but of course I bought it off the internet and cannot for the life of me find the receipt emails, or even remember where I got it. Fingers crossed they will warranty it - can't really afford to replace it.

I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bugger: my Synmat has imploded!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know some of the early Neoair mats had a habit but it's the first Exped mat I've seen.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A search for "exped synmat baffle failure" comes up with quite a few hits so it doesn't seem to be that rare, but could be the same person posting on multiple forums :roll:

But ...

Without knowing the number of Synmats sold and the number of nights they have been used for it's pretty hard to come up with any reasonable figure for a failure rate.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HUX

Post by HUX »

This happened to mine which was one of the first produced so was well out of the 2 year warranty. After numerous emails direct to Exped and to Lyon they replaced it. You should be ok without a reciept as there is a batch number printed very faintly on the seam by the valves so they will know when it was manufactured. Hopefully they will replace it for you!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Thanks all. Ive found an email receipt for the Schnozzle pumpbag that I got about three months after I bought the mat, and it appears Ive had the mat a lot longer than I thought - since January 2014 at least, so it'll be out of warranty. HUX - that's a good steer. I'll have a look for the batch number and see how I go. In the meantime, back to the old Therma Prolite.
I'm just going outside ...