New down smell.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Trail-rat

New down smell.....

Post by Trail-rat »

Mrs T-r used her new nordisk viktor -15 bag last night .

right from the off it smells like a musty wet dog.

Now I've never had new down before , there seems to be mixed opinions online about new down having this smell till aired well and other folk saying its the down rotting.

The bags fresh from tiso and has been stored in its lofted bag in the spare room before being put into its dry bag and taken for our trip. - it was stored and used right next to my blue kazoo - which doesnt smell at all - but which also wasnt new....

So high fill down bags - do they have an "odour" and does it fade - ive told mrs T-r to air the bag out for a couple weeks and if it still reeks its going back.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: New down smell.....

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've never noticed a smell to any down, new or old.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

My down mainly smells of a high carb diet. And tastes of spillt coffee.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

well its airing in the living room now ....so if nothing else it will smell of stove smoke :D
shame because she was happy with the warmth- it was -8 last night. Always good when the tents frozen solid inside and out , both water bottles and the water you just got from the river freezes infront of your eyes as you walk back to the tent....
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I've got down bedding for the home and the outdoors. Once, I had that smell you're on about. My down duvet had been in storage for about 18 mths when I was sailing and it smelt a bit musty for about a week. After that, it was fine.
Once you get a bit of sweat and slobbers and stuff on it it will smell familiar. Good to know Mrs T was warm, that's the main thing. :grin:
Mike

Post by Mike »

I know what but mean both my alpkit 600 and rab summer bag both smell abit fusty sometime when they get warmed up almost like a damp smell.....mmmmm nice ul get used to it :lol:
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Well i can confirm that 24 hours in sunlight and air .... The smell has all but gone, strange as it was overpowering the tent on sat night tbh....
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Never noticed me down smell, must be immune to it after a decade in the outdoor trade! Poor glue in gore tex on the other hand stinks of fish :shock:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

My cumulus quilt has a bit of a goosey twang to it if it's been stored in the mesh bag for a bit - it wears off after a while but seems to return again after storage.