Carradice Bagman racks.. Anything similar?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Carradice Bagman racks.. Anything similar?

Post by Teetosugars »

Like this..

Anyone know of anything similar as these aren't made anymore?
rando nomad

Re: Carradice Bagman racks.. Anything similar?

Post by rando nomad »

jameso

Post by jameso »

Honest Q, not anything swiping - why would you use a large saddle bag with a bagman when a rear rack and rack pack could weigh about the same, arguably support a load better and positions that load lower? Or, use a trad bikepacking seat pack - though I can see how the slower access can be drawback.

I qute like Caradice's quality and style but I can't figure out the appeal beyond tradition and aesthetics or working with a Brooks (which are reason enough imo).
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

jameso wrote:Honest Q, not anything swiping - why would you use a large saddle bag with a bagman when a rear rack and rack pack could weigh about the same, arguably support a load better and positions that load lower? Or, use a trad bikepacking seat pack - though I can see how the slower access can be drawback.
The original Bagman didn't have the struts so was a more minimal rack, even with the struts it's also probably lighter than a rack.

With the quick release version the bag is fairly easy to remove.

The large Carradice saddlebags are more square in shape and larger than a standard bikepacking seat pack (Cass Gilbert uses one so he can get a laptop in it).

I've seen a few people (including Cass again) put items between the bagman and the seatpost using that space.

A racktop bag tends to feel like it's going to topple over whilst a carradice bag on a bagman 'swings' more like a standard bikepacking bag. From experience I feel the latter affects your riding less.

Saying all that I sold my Carradice stuff and just got a standard holster/tapered dry bag set up.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

The carradice is much better than a trad bike packing bag for commuting.

Got a camper long flap for commuting - change of clothes , towel and lunch.

Never found the need for a bagman for that.

Have a bagman for when ive used the long flap for fast and light road touring pre bike packing gear being availible.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Good points, and apologies teetoosugars for the hijack, back on track in a mo : )

I like they how I think they'd work. I used a rack-pack for my first tour and there's something more civilised about being able to organise things and open a lid rather than stuffing it all in. I'd been looking for something that wasn't a minimal rack and rackpack but closer to that in use than the usual seat pack, so some kind of rack adapter off the seat stays with a bagman of sorts seemed like a good option. I'd used a TW copy of the Moots Trailgator and quite liked that, especially how it let me get off the back of the saddle easier, got as far as sketching out some ideas and no further.

http://www.appleblock.com/saddlebag-sup ... asonic.php Something like this would do for me, but gets a bit close to a rack anyway. Not 100% rational but I don't like attaching anything to the saddle and seatpost unless it's really light, under a couple of kg.

mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Like Cass, I've used a Carradice for a looooong time both for on road and off road after probably more than 15,000kms riding with one I think I've got a fair guage on them now.

The bagman is a great idea, unfortunately I'd say for off road touring its not really suitable. Both Cass and I have had problems with them in the past resulting in stress factures around the welds, given that its manufactured from aluminium its not an easy fix. I had one go in the Indian Himalaya which effectively junked it and I was forced to improvise.

As others have said there are plenty of rack options which are pretty similar weight wise, Tubus make some incredibly lightweight racks - Fly is something like 330g which is a net saving of almost 150g over a Bagman.

Its certainly worth thinking about, personally I've come round to the idea of micro panniers and a seat pack for longer trips, as it offers you the option to strip things back for side trips.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Many thanks all.. Food for thought!
Love the set up of your Ogre Mike, that's kinda my inspiration for my Krampus.
Lucky enough to count Rich, Shona & Steve as good friends, and live nearby to Keep Pedaling- I got my Krampus form them, so I guess I need to head over and see them.. Still unsure of what rack to use on it as the lack of mounting points make the descion that bit more confusing..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A Salsa minimalist rack might be a good option if you can track one down?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:A Salsa minimalist rack might be a good option if you can track one down?
Been trying to find one ever since Salsa pulled them..
Gutted :cry:
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Every now and then a minimalist rack will turn up on the Salsa
And Surly trader page on The dreaded Facebook (it has some uses),
They are mainly U.S adds but I've bought stuff and got it sent as a present
To keep delivery costs down,got a 35mm Mukluk frame adaptor from
New Mexico the last time,they seem rare here too.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Teetosugars wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:A Salsa minimalist rack might be a good option if you can track one down?
Been trying to find one ever since Salsa pulled them..
Gutted :cry:
Wanted one last year for my mukluk forks, never managed to get one :cry:
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I got my Minimalist off the Fat bike forum,maybe put a wanted ad on there,
I'm allways on the U/s parts forums,if I see one I'll post it up here :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:I got my Minimalist off the Fat bike forum,maybe put a wanted ad on there,
I'm allways on the U/s parts forums,if I see one I'll post it up here :-bd
That would be ace :-bd
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I've got a minimalist rack and a Bagman with the stays which I would be prepared to part with if the price was right. :wink:
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

firedfromthecircus wrote:I've got a minimalist rack and a Bagman with the stays which I would be prepared to part with if the price was right. :wink:
Talk to me Goose.... :-bd
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Teetosugars wrote:
firedfromthecircus wrote:I've got a minimalist rack and a Bagman with the stays which I would be prepared to part with if the price was right. :wink:
Talk to me Goose.... :-bd
Show me the money! :lol:

I'll message you.