carpel tunnel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

paramart

carpel tunnel

Post by paramart »

has anyone else ever had this through cycling, only asking as I got the symptoms after the bb200 the doctors both said it wouldn't be through cycling a long distance but I can't think of anything else that could have caused it, I ride about 90 percent rigid but have never had any probs before, also anyone know how long before you can resume cycling after the operation
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
mountainbaker

Re: carpel tunnel

Post by mountainbaker »

You might have what's know as Handlebar Palsy (aka Ulnar Neuropathy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_neuropathy). Which is nerve damage from long periods on the bike. I had numb hands for 3 months after tour divide.

The quacks said I had carpal tunnel, and gave me cortisone injections in both wrists. It just made things worse. From what I understand, post-op you can't operate heavy stuff for 6 months (like axes, sledge hammers, or rigid bikes!).
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I suffer from it, hightened after three months touring in new zealand early last year (and thirty years of using air tools) and a new job as a bike shop spanner monkey meant that I finally went to the docs and got it checked out, had several tests done (including one for ulnar nerve damage as the guy doing the tests was a cyclist and understood what that might mean) and yes I have it, opted to try physio before injections and surgery

ulnar nerve is undamaged

so far its working, in fact I'm really quite surprised how well, in my opinion its been wearing wrist splints at night that have made the biggest difference, really recommend getting it checked out
paramart

Post by paramart »

been for the tests he checked both the nerves and it,s deffo the carpel one nothing wrong with the ulna in both hands, will wait and see what options are available, it,s only in my right hand and it started on the mon after the bb200, thanks for the info
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Maybe it's from dragging me around the bb200 :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.