Advice Needed - Joining from the Dark Side

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Templogin

Advice Needed - Joining from the Dark Side

Post by Templogin »

Hi Folks. My name is Andy. I live in Shetland, and I am thinking about changing the way that I cycle tour. Rather than using my Thorn loaded up with up to 45kg of gear on the longer tours, I have been thinking about getting off road. It will mean having to educate myself to carry a LOT less, but I have some lightweight stuff hanging about, although not as light as the stuff I read about on this forum.

Where I need some help is in getting the bike. It must have hub gears. I loathe derailleurs. I can’t afford another Rohloff so I am looking towards an Alfine 11. I think that I am looking for a new bike, and have a budget of about £1,000. I have seen a few bikes that I like the look of, the Whyte 901 for instance, but it doesn’t have hub gears.

At 55 my days of having a shapely body are behind me, although it is still a shape, but not one that can be easily described. I prefer to cycle alone as my lungs are fairly b*ggered, and when I cycle with my partner she is off like a whippet, which is just demoralising. She can’t camp out though due to her Reynauds, so I miss out on that side of things.

I won’t sell the Thorn, or the other bikes, as I will still do road touring, but I need some advice on what bikes I should be looking at. Although I live on Shetland, where off road riding opportunities are rare, Aberdeen is at the end of the ferry trip, which leads to the Deeside Way and thence the Cairngorms. It is a shame to waste this opportunity.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Andy
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Advice Needed - Joining from the Dark Side

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Where to start Andy :wink:

Firstly, if you want a hub gear I'd give serious consideration to buying something 'kit form' as it'll possibly work out cheaper and lead to less compromise than buying something off the peg.

Also, I recall plenty of horror stories about Alfine 11, whereas the 8 speed seems to plod along for miles and miles. Obviously, there will be those folk that have an 11 with a million miles under its belt without any issues :wink:

I think in your position, the first thing I'd do is talk to Rich and Shona at Keep Pedalling, they've a wealth of experience and won't just try and flog you something: http://www.keeppedalling.co.uk/
May the bridges you burn light your way
Templogin

Post by Templogin »

Thanks a lot. I have dropped them an email.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just thought ... a Genesis Vagabond with an Alfine 8 might be nice? I think frames are a few weeks away and it should be perfectly doable within budget.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hi Andy, I have an Alfine 8 wheel, 2 in fact, and can attest to their reliability and general ruggedness. I was in Shetland last year, and plan to go back in May or June this year for a week or so, amazing place.
I live in the Cairngorms so it would seem that we are due to pass each other on the way past, as it were, at some point. As for the dark side, a large proportion of us like to go both ways on occasion!!
Where ar you in Shetland?
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

This might not be the answer you're after, but certainly its a part of bikepacking and going lighter.

If you need help and practice packing light, you ever thought about trying ultralight road touring? It may not take you off road like you asked, but it'll give you some experience keeping kit minimal and the bags (seat pack, handlebar roll) will cross over to whatever off-road iron horse you decide on.

Once you learn to carry under 10kg, or hopefully under 3-5kg its irrelevant what bike is carrying it. Plus if you're already used to road touring it'll seem more natural.

May be controversial but I ride both road and MTB, for me the bike is just another tool for traveling light. The trip dictates the iron horse
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. Am I right in thinking you're also on British Blades?
chris n

Post by chris n »

You don't need a new bike. Pack less stuff, take the racks and mudguards off your Thorn, stick some knobblies on (I'm assuming it's a Raven so you should have clearance for something like 2" tyres) and see how you go.
Last edited by chris n on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think Chris makes a very valid and sensible point .... although a little bit of me wonders whether it's wrong to deprive a man the joy of a new bicycle :wink:
chris n

Post by chris n »

Yeah, sorry. :wink:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I think Chris makes a very valid and sensible point .... although a little bit of me wonders whether it's wrong to deprive a man the joy of a new bicycle :wink:
I agree, nothing like a new bike to boost motivation. However, I think Templogin has his perspective all wrong. You are actually joining "The Dark Side" not coming from it :wink: . Welcome aboard :-bd .
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Are we all forgetting N+1? :grin:

Once you go light you'll wonder why you ever carried 45kg?!?

Ofcourse there will be compromise, but minimal is very liberating. In fact once you embrace ruthless packing it starts to infect other hobbies or lifestyle. Holidays and business trips are now cheaper* when you can live a week out of "hand luggage" and not feel you are sacrificing comfort.

*disclaimer: May cost more due to obsession with ultralight, side effects include ; Cuban fiber fever, carbon-itus and 950p Down withdrawl.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

HaYWiRe wrote:Are we all forgetting N+1? :grin:

Once you go light you'll wonder why you ever carried 45kg?!?

Of course there will be compromise, but minimal is very liberating. In fact once you embrace ruthless packing it starts to infect other hobbies or lifestyle. Holidays and business trips are now cheaper* when you can live a week out of "hand luggage" and not feel you are sacrificing comfort.

*disclaimer: May cost more due to obsession with ultralight, side effects include ; Cuban fiber fever, carbon-itus and 950p Down withdrawl.
I'm struggling to work out how you get to 45Kg for a trip :???: I had a climbing trip to Yosemite and the luggage came to under 30Kg which included a big wall rack, camping kit and clothing for the rest of the trip.

Get obsessive! Get a set of digital scales and weigh *everything*, then start working out what really isn't needed, you might think you want to take it but do you need it?

As for bikes: I've had an Alfine 11 fitted bike, it was always on the temperamental side of things. Some people have had no problems. If I was getting another Alfine hub I'd go for the 8spd, it doesn't seem to push the limits as much as the 11spd.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
tdurack

Post by tdurack »

"Richard and Nicholas Crane Journey to the Centre of the Earth"

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... _id=134003

:-)
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

We need to make a date Andy! You commented on my YouTube video the otherday. I'm a non too whippety clydesdale who is always camping Billy no mates as no one else seems daft enough . I'm I'm Scalloway.

Kevin
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Gari wrote:Hi Andy, I have an Alfine 8 wheel, 2 in fact, and can attest to their reliability and general ruggedness. I was in Shetland last year, and plan to go back in May or June this year for a week or so, amazing place.
I live in the Cairngorms so it would seem that we are due to pass each other on the way past, as it were, at some point. As for the dark side, a large proportion of us like to go both ways on occasion!!
Where ar you in Shetland?
Hi Gari, I'm I'm shetland too, Scalloway, feel free to get in touch if you're coming up.

Kevin
BenS

Post by BenS »

Andy, Is swapping your Rohloff between two bikes an option?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hi Kevin, will do. I was looking to head over in July, hoping the midges aren't too bad then! Mainly north and west this time. I shall be using the camping bods, great resource.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Ah we're in Norway for 2 weeks mid July, but let us know when you have dates. Midges aren't usually too bad, but you never know...
Gari

Post by Gari »

Where in Norway? I lived there for a few years. Another great place!!
Good news on the midges:-)
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

A family trip flying to Bergen and train to Voss and Flam with a ride down the Rallarvegen and walking Aulandsdalen area. A mix of site and wild camping and looking about then a ferry back from Flam to Bergen. Never been before and really looking forwards to it.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Nice, the local delicacies' to try are reindeer stew and Compe, sometimes known as Rasskebolle, oh and bacon polse(hotdogs!) The train ride to Flam is amazing. I used to paddle in Voss in the summer, great rivers.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

:-bd might do some seakayaking too :-bd
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Stay away from the Alfine 11.
Templogin

Post by Templogin »

@barebonesnorm - I will have a look at the Genesis Vagabond - thanks

@Gari - Thanks a lot for the thumbs-up for the Alfine 8. I am looking at going in that direction. I live in Voe. The Cairngorms is an amazing place

@Haywire - I am moving in that direction. The next tour will see the loss of the front panniers and the addition of a bar bag. I am in agreement then.

@benp1 - Yes I am on BB as well. I visit several times daily, but don’t have much to say, or spend there, as cash is going into other projects.

@chris n - I tend to have one tool per job, hence 6 bikes. The Thorn is the eXp model. It’s very heavy, about 20kg, so I would rather go for something lighter.

@Ray Young - Light side / dark side, at least I know where I stand now!

@whitestone - 45kg is easily reached. Let’s start with two good locks for a start, one with a chunky Abloy padlock. Tent, groundsheet, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pillow, quilt, electric blanket, smoking jacket, slippers chandelier, aquarium, pot plants, various garden gnomes, Optimus 8R stove, Jetboil for quick brews, saucepan, frying pan, kettle, porcelain dinner plates, tea plates, soup bowls, soup tureen, fish kettle, ladle, fish slice, slotted spoon, cutlery including gateau forks, mugs, cups and saucers. Electrical items including phone, iPad, laptop, GPS with mapping, sun tan lamp, for overcast days, smoothie blender, and the list goes on. I don’t how one would manage with less! Some of these items may not actually be part of my packing list!

@tdurack - That’s just showing off! I have downloaded the book to read though.

@Moder-dye - Just down the road then really from Voe. I work in the town. I used to get out to Scalloway often with work, but I am now office-based.

@BenS - It’s possible, but I would rather leave it in the Thorn if possible. I have been looking around for a used one. There is one on eBay that didn’t sell for £640, so the seller put it up to £750. Interesting sales move that one!

@Farawayvisions - Noted - thanks.