Down trousers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Down trousers

Post by gairym »

After spotting the recent Down Jacket thread I thought I'd ask about Down Trousers.

The other night in a winter room (bothy-esque type thing in the Alps) I was toasty warm in my Rab Infinity but had bloody cold legs so am thinking of investing in a pair.

So....what's good, what's cheap, what's light and do any manage more than one?

Cheers, Gairy.
voodoo_simon

Re: Down trousers

Post by voodoo_simon »

Sports pursuit had some down shorts on their website a few days ago by Yeti
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got some Integral Designs Primaloft trousers. They work very well and you don't need to be quite so careful with them as you would down - Montane do something along the same lines: https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothi ... rism-pants

If you do want down, Borah Gear would be my choice when quality is off-set against cost: http://borahgear.com/downpants.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:They work very well and you don't need to be quite so careful with them as you would down
You saying you don't use down trousers due to the rough treatment they'll receive in camp conditions?

Makes sense.

What do synthetic ones pack down to as that's a factor?

(Edit: just saw the pic of them next to an apple - now I know the answer).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You saying you don't use down trousers due to the rough treatment they'll receive in camp conditions?
Yeah pretty much. I can keep a jacket safe but not sure I could be trusted with trousers :wink:

Worth shopping around for the Montane trousers as I've seen them for less than £70 on-line.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Worth shopping around for the Montane trousers as I've seen them for less than £70 on-line.
Thanks, just seen a pair on fleabay for £74 which ain't bad.

Think I'll have to invest as it gets pretty cold out here (sometimes, was warm and sunny up until a couple of few ago).

Cheers.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I have some of the Montane trousers and they are great for bothy use. Pack small and dont have to worry about getting them a bit grubby.

One thing i will say is the cut is a bit 'athletic' so if you've had one too many pies over the winter the waist may be a bit snug :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You may *want* down troos, in which case my comments are pretty irrelevant :wink: However, I usually carry a "spare" set of merino (other materials are available but I find merino to be good for this "dry" use) leggings and often sleep in them where temp' requires. I'm talking about the stuff used as base layers rather than full on running leggings or the like. They can double duty as extra layers on last / dry days, camp wear etc. Usually need to be twinned with something to prevent cold feet, nothing stops me sleeping like cold feet :sad:, merino socks also good.

Various choices come up in the sales on Sportpursuits for example.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Mine are western mountaineering with a harder wearing arse(insert joke here).
Don't wear them too often as they're too warm.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've a pair of the Montane Primaloft bottoms - can not fault them.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ordered!
Chew wrote:One thing i will say is the cut is a bit 'athletic' so if you've had one too many pies over the winter the waist may be a bit snug
Went for XL and I'll just have to hope I can get in 'em! On paper they'll be fine but if they come up small it might be snug.
Cheeky Monkey wrote:You may *want* down troos, in which case my comments are pretty irrelevant However, I usually carry a "spare" set of merino (other materials are available but I find merino to be good for this "dry" use) leggings and often sleep in them where temp' requires. I'm talking about the stuff used as base layers rather than full on running leggings or the like. They can double duty as extra layers on last / dry days, camp wear etc. Usually need to be twinned with something to prevent cold feet, nothing stops me sleeping like cold feet , merino socks also good.
Thanks but I've already got a choice of merino and other thermal long john type things which is what I was wearing the other night. I was riding in full length winter Gore tights with some ski touring trousers on top which were fine for riding but I got cold once we stopped even when I changed into my merino (Icebreaker) leggings under the waterproof trousers.

Once in my bag I'm always toasty and so it's just to keep me warm whilst moseying around in the evenings.
Taylor wrote:Mine are western mountaineering with a harder wearing arse(insert joke here).
Those look the mutts nuts but a sniff pricey for me right now. If you're too warm in 'em then come out for a visit and a bivi - it's plenty cold enough here!

Cheers all for the advice!!!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

gairym wrote:Ordered!
Taylor wrote:Mine are western mountaineering with a harder wearing arse(insert joke here).
Those look the mutts nuts but a sniff pricey for me right now. If you're too warm in 'em then come out for a visit and a bivi - it's plenty cold enough here!

Cheers all for the advice!!!
Would love to.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I bought some Patagonia primaloft trousers after a particularly cold camp in the Elan Valley a few years ago. Everything froze around me, the dog actually slept on his mat for once, and I was fairly cold

I haven't had the need for them since, they've still got their tags on, and frustratingly will be too big for me now. I should get round to selling them actually
atk

Post by atk »

benp1 wrote:I bought some Patagonia primaloft trousers after a particularly cold camp in the Elan Valley a few years ago. Everything froze around me, the dog actually slept on his mat for once, and I was fairly cold

I haven't had the need for them since, they've still got their tags on, and frustratingly will be too big for me now. I should get round to selling them actually
What size are they?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Just checked the tag - Patagonia Micro Puff Pants, black, size large

Full length zips for easy entry and exit

I reckon I'd need a medium now, maybe even a small. Just need them to be long!
Mike

Post by Mike »

iv got sherpa prima loft ones and they are so warm. The down ones are nice but sooooo expensive just to sit around in and id be worried that they will get dirty or ripped. Atleast primaloft u can bung em in the washer :smile:
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

very similar to what ive got on right now Josh, a real bargain (igot mine for £15) and proper warm too :)
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Theyre great especially when your boiler doesnt work!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Ha :-bd or like me you refuse to put any heating on until its -20 :mrgreen: