Bach to Bach grid references ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Bach to Bach grid references ...

Post by benp1 »

Ian wrote:
benp1 wrote:All grid refs on OS136, except 755973 as that isn't on this map
I think I'm right in saying this, but one of your grid refs is wrong. You should be missing both SN755973 and SH 947099 off that sheet. You have 13 markers on your sheet, out of a total of 14, so one must be wrong. The one just to the east-southeast of the start looks most likely :ugeek:
Thanks Ian (and Whitestone). I've worked out what the problem was, I plotted it as 947009, not 947099
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Seeing as the two shops that sold maps were both under nearly 3m of water a week ago - and I refused to go into the city I work in during my holidays - I'm now only starting to look at a map on my lunch.

So. What tyres for Mid-Wales?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So. What tyres for Mid-Wales?
My Race Kings struggled a bit the other day, if that's any help :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

Depends on which trails you decide to ride :ugeek:
WTB 40C Nano's will be fine on some, whereas Maxxis Swampthings would be a good choice on others.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Something that will grip in the wet on grassy climbs/descents...it's a bit slick out there. Can't imagine it's going to dry up by the weekend. Then again, it could just be I'm a rubbish rider who has trouble staying upright. :)

Greetz

S.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm going with the round ones that are on my bike :lol:

With such a variety of terrain/ground conditions anything that gives enough grip will be extremely draggy elsewhere
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote:I'm going with the round ones that are on my bike :lol:
You sir, are a man after my own ideas. Not arsed faffing with tyre changes. I'll be on a SS so they'll make no difference to walking speed :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Attempt at a route done. 188km for all 14 points with 4907m climbing. Could prove interesting on the refuelling side though...as in quite slim.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote:Attempt at a route done. 188km for all 14 points with 4907m climbing. Could prove interesting on the refuelling side though...as in quite slim.
That's 10Km less than I got (about the same amount of ascent) but I did plan on visiting Rhayader for restocking, Stu would be proud - there's a Spar there :-bd I've got a nicely front loaded route to save my poor legs for the Sunday.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I think I can get another 5-6km off it and drop a few meters climbing too. Will fiddle it more tonight.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote:I think I can get another 5-6km off it and drop a few meters climbing too. Will fiddle it more tonight.
Hmm, just been looking: found a couple of shorter options but not sure how much they'll save in distance/ascent. I think one will cut 5 or 6 Km and the other a couple. Struggling to make any sensible shorter options.
Ian

Post by Ian »

GregMay wrote:I think I can get another 5-6km off it and drop a few meters climbing too. Will fiddle it more tonight.
Are you passing through each checkpoint, or are some out/back legs?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

One or two very short out and back, i.e. the checkpoint might be 200m past a junction that leads towards the next. I've tried to avoid them as much as possible though.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

:grin:

I'm not even sure how many I'm doing, I sort of got distracted with a route idea once I'd seen the grid refs laid out. Definitely at least 1, maybe as many as 3, it's only about 45 miles, but I'm hoping it's going to be fun. (I've actually gone for one that I couldn't plot on the 1:50k OS map pic I posted up)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ian wrote:
Are you passing through each checkpoint, or are some out/back legs?
Some very short out and backs - I think the longest is maybe 2km in total, i think the other is about 500m.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Got the route down to 187Km and 4300m of ascent. There's one loop where I've avoided a bit of hike a bike which adds 4km, I'll see what the shorter line looks like when I get there. There's a bit where I can't get a decent direct route, looks a right mess of lanes only some of which are ROW.
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

My current route so far is mostly minor roads and forestry, seems a bit dull but I'm guessing that at the moment anything other than surfaced tracks will be saturated and I really need to get back in time for cake. Probably just one checkpoint for me, but hats off to those of you going for the lot :)
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'm at 187km but not doing the northernmost point. No out and backs for me, but I have decided to stick to surfaced tracks and roads with only a few km of potential hike a bike. Trying to find a good overnight spot that is under cover is looking tricky, as I'm assuming the bothies will be rammed. The forecast is looking better than it did a few days ago, so I might try to sleep outdoors........
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

ok i have a route takes in a pretty low 8 grid refs , is about 100 miles and has a bothy at the end of the 60 mile first day . might be a tad hilly but got a few road bits and plenty of food stop opportunity , should be ok ..
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm just about to depart from Brecon for the Bach to Bach. Riding up to Nant Rhys tonight, and then following the loop of checkpoints clockwise, hoping to make it to Llanbrynmair for toast and goodies before 2pm Saturday. I'll then continue clockwise to catch the rest of the checkpoints southwards on my way back home on Sunday.

345 km, 7900 m ascent. Eek. :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm just about to depart from Brecon for the Bach to Bach. Riding up to Nant Rhys tonight, and then following the loop of checkpoints clockwise, hoping to make it to Llanbrynmair for toast and goodies before 2pm Saturday. I'll then continue clockwise to catch the rest of the checkpoints southwards on my way back home on Sunday.

Good luck, I'll see you tomorrow bright and breezy :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

Breezy, most likely. Bright, probably not...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:I'm just about to depart from Brecon for the Bach to Bach. Riding up to Nant Rhys tonight, and then following the loop of checkpoints clockwise, hoping to make it to Llanbrynmair for toast and goodies before 2pm Saturday. I'll then continue clockwise to catch the rest of the checkpoints southwards on my way back home on Sunday.

Crikey! Hardcore for this time of year.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I really haven't done much planning for this - (someone else has though, cheers John!).

I plan to grab some food from the supermarche on the way home this evening, then do some packing and set off tomorrow morning in the car. Then what I do will be entirely mood dependent...!
Oh, I have to print some maps too.
Fortunately the bike is vaguely prepared coz I did that last weekend following completion of welding the car back together and getting an MOT so I can make it to this event.
See you all tomorrow :)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just wondering how many weatherproof layers to bring along :???: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35245657 and

0800 on Sat 9 January
To:
1200 on Sun 10 January

Updated 2 hours ago

Outbreaks of showery rain, heavy at times, will affect parts of Wales during Saturday and Sunday. These outbreaks could locally produce rainfall accumulations of 10-20 mm in a relatively short period of time. Given saturated ground conditions please be aware that this could lead to some local flooding and disruption to transport.

Now, when are we setting off?