Saturated ground.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ctznsmith

Saturated ground.

Post by ctznsmith »

Went for a wander on Dartmoor yesterday but vetoed staying out in the bivys as the ground was so saturated. Retreated back to the campervan* as I just had visions of water seeping up through the bags.

Would a groundsheet have worked to keep groundwater out in this situation?

*the 4am storm also made me glad of this decision.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Saturated ground.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It would have certainly helped and depending on what it was made from should prevent any water reaching your bags. A bathtub groundsheet can be very useful too, although there is a small risk that any water finding its way into it, can't escape.

I'm just awaiting a bulk purchase of Tyvek to arrive. Once it does, it'll be available in the shop by the metre.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
It would have certainly helped and depending on what it was made from should prevent any water reaching your bags. A bathtub groundsheet can be very useful too, although there is a small risk that any water finding its way into it, can't escape.

I'm just awaiting a bulk purchase of Tyvek to arrive. Once it does, it'll be available in the shop by the metre.
Wahey on the Tyvek :-bd I keep putting off a bulk purchase so glad you're doing it Stu.

As for soaking ground conditions, I recommend a hammock :wink:
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:

Wahey on the Tyvek :-bd I keep putting off a bulk purchase so glad you're doing it Stu.

As for soaking ground conditions, I recommend a hammock :wink:
One of the few perks of my job working for a small building firm is easy access to "spare" Tyvek!
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Will keep an eye out for the Tyvek.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Good news on the Tyvek.
Interested in what width will it be and what grade? Building or the lighter 'clothing' grade?
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Dartmoor is a most excellent sponge! In my (somewhat limited) experience, I would suggest it is unique in its ability to hold water.

I don't think I would want to sleep out there at the moment, unless as mentioned, I was using a hammock.

I shall also keep an eye out for the Tyvek option. I used to print indestructible labels on it in a former life. It's a brilliant material. I have asked my local print department if they can get "samples" of it for groundsheet use, but so far they have drawn a blank...

Si
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a bear paw designs bathtub sheet for use on saturated ground, but it's still a risk as water can find it's way over the top if you're not careful and then you're sleeping in a wet bathtub...