Alpkit pipedream 400

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

Alpkit pipedream 400

Post by jay91 »

Would this be a good bag for all year ? I've got a voucher that needs using and Xmas is coming up.
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Alpkit pipedream 400

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Personally, I'd want something warmer for all year use, so for the same price would likely buy a SkyeHigh 700. Obviously it weighs a bit more but it's got an extra 300g of down in there. The down in the SH might 'only' be 650+fp but there's nothing wrong with that ... in fact, it can be argued that it will last longer than a higher fp but that's a subject for another time.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Good point stu I didn't see that one when looking on my phone :| I cannot see a pack size any ideas what it will go down too?
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I cannot see a pack size any ideas what it will go down too?
I've got something similar and I can get it and Synmat UL + jacket in a 13L dry bag without any trouble.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

Jay I can recommend the pipedream 600 if u can get one if u only want one bag iv got one its great in the coldest of winter ok a little warm in the summer but the zip opens right up so I use it as a throw over quilt this also fits inside a 13l with synmat n jacket spare socks n silk liner :0)

Oh yeah mine is about 5 or 6 yrs old too...
Last edited by Mike on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I cannot see a pack size any ideas what it will go down too?
I've got something similar and I can get it and Synmat UL + jacket in a 13L dry bag without any trouble.
:-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Mike wrote:Jay I can recommend the pipedream 600 if u can get one if u only want one bag iv got one its great in the coldest of winter ok a little warm in the summer but the zip opens right up so I use it as a throw over quilt this also fits inside a 13l with synmat n jacket spare socks n silk liner :0)
shame they don't make it now? Don't see much 2nd hand alpkit stuff.
Trying to ride bikes.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Very pleased with mine, had it about 10 years now I reckon (second batch ever made). Comfortably slept at below freezing, and with a liner I'd be happy to go for about -6 I reckons.

Packs well, good weight, and excellent vfm at the time. Mine is made of pertex shell and a slightly better down than the newer ones I understand, bit my old man has one of the newer ones and it's still a decent bit of kit.
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

ignore this
Last edited by Crazy English on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Alpkit 400 is quite an old model I think. Sure that's what I've got 6-7 yrs old. Weighs about 900g and packs fairly small. Have used in air temp as low as 2C in a bothy but wearing clothes in sleeping bag and was still on the limit of comfort. Probably would get uncomfortable to go much lower than 2C. Also ignore all the rubbish about having to wash in industrial washing machine. Have washed mine in normal domestic machine with down wash liquid and was amazed how quickly it dried out (<24hs).
A really good bag all in all.