Compression Sacs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Compression Sacs

Post by dlovett »

Can anybody recommend a supplier of good quality compression sacs?

I need one for my new UK Hammock Quilt as currently I have to steal the sac from my sleeping bag.

Thanks

d
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Compression Sacs

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I need one for my new UK Hammock Quilt as currently I have to steal the sac from my sleeping bag.
As a general rule, using a compression / stuff sack will increase the amount of room your gear takes up. Much better to stuff things directly into the dry bag you're going to carry it in.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
As a general rule, using a compression / stuff sack will increase the amount of room your gear takes up. Much better to stuff things directly into the dry bag you're going to carry it in.
Is the thinking behind that that a stuff sack causes the item to hold the tubular shape of the sack(s) rather than fill the gaps between multiple squishy items?

Surely there is an argument though that 'double bagging stuff' gives you a bit more piece of mind if you hole the outer dry bag.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I quite like these - been using one for a bit. It takes my mat and sleeping bag and a few other squishy things and compresses them into a narrower diameter, which is easier to fit onto my bar harness.

http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/exped-wate ... AvXu8P8HAQ
I'm just going outside ...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Last time I did that, the bag shifted and in the ten seconds it took me to stop, the tyre went through a mudguard, alpkit bag and the brand new UK Hammocks quilt. This time I want expensive things on the bars, hence making it smaller.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

That's perfect, I want to get my mat, quilt and tarp in the bar bag, so long and thin will work perfectly. I can fill any gaps with other stuff.
TheBrownDog wrote:I quite like these - been using one for a bit. It takes my mat and sleeping bag and a few other squishy things and compresses them into a narrower diameter, which is easier to fit onto my bar harness.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aside from a compression sack, that's a dry bag ... seems mad to put your stuff in that, then put that inside another dry bag?
I want to get my mat, quilt and tarp in the bar bag
What happens on the morning of day 2 after it's been raining all night? Wet tarp close to a down bag?
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I want to get my mat, quilt and tarp in the bar bag
What happens on the morning of day 2 after it's been raining all night? Wet tarp close to a down bag?[/quote]

I normally carry them like that. Each is in it's own waterproof bag, which I put inside a bin bag as well for double protection. Never had a problem with it.

I've just ordered on of The Brown Dog's bags from http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/exped_ultral ... sion_bags/ where it was just a tenner.

It says it's 100% waterproof, so I'll put some down and a brick in it and leave in the bath over night. That should test it's waterproofness.
Chew

Post by Chew »

A bag, inside a bag, inside a bag.......
You must be vey unlucky :wink:

Just get one robust dry bag and keep the dry stuff in there. Sleeping bag, sleeping clothes etc....
Anything which could get wet/damp keep elsewhere. Tarp, Bivi etc......

I'd be careful with that dry bag you've ordered as it looks to be silnylon. Thin and flimsy.
You'll probably find after one trip it'll have a hole in it as its delicate and thin.

Best to get something more robust like the thicker exped/alp kit ones.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Alpkit ones hole just as easily, I have had some replaced for that reason. I always line big dry bags with a bin bag. Works perfectly for me even if some people frown on it. Never had wet bags or clothes from wet tents or tarps.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

TheBrownDog wrote:I quite like these - been using one for a bit. It takes my mat and sleeping bag and a few other squishy things and compresses them into a narrower diameter, which is easier to fit onto my bar harness.

I have one of these as well and really like it. As stated it squishes your stuff into a long, thin shape which works well for a bar bag. I tend to just stick my sleeping bag and liner in it to avoid the wet kit/dry kit dilemma. As the compression bag is also a dry bag it works well like this and I'd be double drybagging my down sleeping bag anyway so I'm not carrying much extra (so it's compression bag inside an Alpkit Airlock Dual on the bars with various other bits inside the Dual as well).