Can stoves

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pyro

Can stoves

Post by Pyro »

Just made my first ever brew on a can stove, and am now sitting drinking it and feeling smug.

Used the instructions on the OutdoorsMagic site last week and made a double-wall burner out of two Carlsberg cans, finally got round to buying some meths today and have just run a brew through. Needs some refinements and tweaking, but I'm happy to say that for a first go it worked really well. Boil time for just shy of 500ml of water was 9mins-ish (to rolling boil), but there was a fair amount of flame licking the sides of the pan so tweaks to the jets necessary, methinks. Wouldn't stay lit with the pan rested on top either so used the folded remains of a third beer can as windshield/pan support.

Anyone got any tips, tricks or suggestions that might help with iteration two? After a few runs, I think it'll be Caldera Clone as the next project.

Cheers!
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Matt

Re: Can stoves

Post by Matt »

Stop now! it will consume you. You'll find yourself hoarding tin and wandering the supermarket beauty section looking at bottles suitable for carrying meths.

Walk away while you still can
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It is a little known fact that all homemade stoves are the devils work and they should be shunned and banished from your shed :shock:

Once they take over it's only a tiny step into the black (and sooty) world of solid fuel :o
May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

On the subject of can stoves, anybody tried this setup

Trail Designs Caldera Keg

I'm playing with assorted stoves and fuels on the scales, to figure out how much weight I can potentially save :oops: