Half a bag better than none?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Half a bag better than none?

Post by Mariner »

While looking for something else I ran across this an OMM half bag (no photo as their photos too small)
https://www.theomm.com/product/mountain-raid-pa-1-0/

Apologies if discussed before but anyone got one or tried one and rejected it?
To me it needs a bivvi bag and mat and might be a lightweight way to up the use of a lighter bag if that makes sense.
As its shown there it lacks the snuggle factor and looks like a recipe for an uncomfortable night.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Half a bag better than none?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I really don't get half bags. Usually it's your top half that feels the effects of cold more than your lower body. If I'm going to remove insulation in an effort to save weight, then why would I put it under my legs? A quilt or top bag makes much more sense and actually offers some real world benefits.

No disrespect to OMM but I find some of their products are aimed a bit to specifically at the MM crowd, (who's aim is to get through a kit check and survive a single night) to make them properly useable by anyone else.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mrhoppy

Post by Mrhoppy »

No disrespect to OMM but I find some of their products are aimed a bit to specifically at the MM crowd, (who's aim is to get through a kit check and survive a single night) to make them properly useable by anyone else.
Given that the company grew out of the remains of the KIMM line when sports direct bought Karrimor and has a focus on ultra running and MM it's not really disrespectful is it. It's from the line of thought that sees rubber lining your foil sleeping mat as excessively luxurious.
atk

Post by atk »

It mentions and is pictured "locking" with that down jacket so I assume you'd use the bag by itself at any point. Surely it's the same as taking insulated trousers, just harder to go pee in...

I suppose it's better for worm wrestling though...!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Given that the company grew out of the remains of the KIMM line when sports direct bought Karrimor and has a focus on ultra running and MM it's not really disrespectful is it. It's from the line of thought that sees rubber lining your foil sleeping mat as excessively luxurious.
I understand all that ... I suppose what I meant was, some of their kit (namely their sleeping bags) is so focused on making it through the MM kit checks that in terms of usability, ranked on a scale of 1 to 10 ... it's actually crap :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

crap

sorry, just testing something

Yes OMM has some good stuff, but I don't think their sleeping gear is any good either. I find their sleeping bags to be rather heavy. I made myself a quilt with 60 g primaloft and in crucial areas I doubled the layer. All in all a 300 g package. Full length. I can even pull it over my head. That probably comes down to saving 20 - 30 % weight if length and loft where comparable.
wildgecko

Post by wildgecko »

I've got a PHD half bag I use in the summer with my down jacket. Saves a few grams and a bit of space over a quilt or full bag if you're trying to go ultralight. I also take it when I may get caught out but aren't planning to bivvy.

In reality it's a bit of a luxury having as many sleep systems as I do. Most versatile is my cumulus 250 quilt, but I expect I'll hang on to the half bag as it makes a great ultralight bag for the kids when I'm not using it.

S
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

This just looks cold, and I only have a tiny (packs to like size of 2 coke cans at most) 2 season down bag for bikepackin haha but atleast it has a top bit
psling

Post by psling »

wildgecko wrote:I've got a PHD half bag I use in the summer with my down jacket. Saves a few grams and a bit of space over a quilt or full bag if you're trying to go ultralight.
I'm totally the opposite and use a half bag with a down jacket in the winter (which is when I'm carrying a down jacket anyway). Saves weight and, more importantly for me, space. Having said that, it is a more substantial half bag than the OMM one above!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

psling wrote:I'm totally the opposite and use a half bag with a down jacket in the winter (which is when I'm carrying a down jacket anyway). Saves weight and, more importantly for me, space. Having said that, it is a more substantial half bag than the OMM one above!
I had never thought of this before, makes a lot of sense, thanks :-bd