A little Welsh deathmarch

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scattamah

A little Welsh deathmarch

Post by Scattamah »

Everything started out so well. A lovely ride out of Rhayader with CustardFeet, turning left before Elan Valley and through the lanes and a grassy/rocky downhill towards Llanwrthwl. A decent climb had us heading south between Drum Ddu and Y Gamriw, firstly on pavement, then gravel, and finally into some squelchy rubbish with a touch of bog trotting as the rain started coming down. 2 hours in and we had wet socks. Yup...we're definetly in Wales! :)

From here, the lovely decents and joining road climbs start to become one, punctuated with the occasional creek crossing, field ride and fence crossing. We stopped going south and started west a mile or so north of Beulah with a climb up towards the north edge of Irfon forest. CF scored his first and only puncture of the ride here, but it was a slow leak, so we carried on into the forest and onto some nice wide chunks of gravel.

At Abergwesyn, things started to get mighty interesting. Our first "this'll be right" detour had us bushwhacking up a quarter mile 45 degree slope through some bracken, over a fence and up onto more forest road. In the daylight this'd be ok. On dusk, it was proving a little more interesting in the fading light. Out came the illumination and onwards we rode into Coed Nant-yr-hwch.

A few miles north of Pen y Cnwc, I'm told we have to do a touch of bushwhacking. Nothing too strenuous and there's a trail here somewhere, our second "this'll be right" moment. B0ll0cks! It was new growth pine, 4 foot deep irrigation ditches to hoik over and zero trail. A hundred or so feet of this took half an hour, to be confronted with some bog, a fence and a death march through cut down old forest with knee deep bog holes, broken trees, stumps, water courses...you name it, we trapsed through/over it. I mentioned to CF that I was glad it was dark, because there's no way I'd want to see that in daylight and then push across it. After a quarter mile of this and another 20 minutes down, we were on the home straight.

Onto the forest road again, zigzagging north to Moel Prysgau, coming in from down the valley, joining the footpath and across the bridge. Upon reaching the bothy, we rejoiced - no lights on...the castle is ours! Getting inside was even better...coal, wood, kindling, a set fire and beer!! Out of the wet gear, into dry kit, a beer cracked open and the fire cranked up...food consumed and the brought in drinks flowed as did the chatter until the early hours.
Sunny morning @ Moel Prysgau
Sunny morning @ Moel Prysgau
moel_prysgau.jpg (170.08 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
A late start and a sore head found me in the morning. Food consumed, kit packed, damp shoes on, tidy the bothy, leave a present of some Jaegermeister and reset the fire. It was easy pickings now, skirting the swimming pools of Strata Florida for the forest roads, dropping down into Pontrhydfendigaid for an icecream but being a touch disappointed the pub wasn't open as I'd have gobbled down a pizza and pint quite easily.

A short hop up the pavement and right at Ffair-Rhos and the climbing was on again, up past the Teifi pools and onto the track toward Claerwen. I always forget how long it takes to knock out the section around the top of Claerwen, and after many, many slate-filled potholes, we were dropping down from the top of the dam to the road, which we followed around out of the Elan Valley, back onto the bike track and onto completing the loop and back to Rhayader.

Not the longest ride out there, but one full of climbing (5645' on the first day and 2000-ish on the 2nd before my GPS ate the batteries) and some adventure. A big thanks to CustardFeet for sharing his route, time and lots of laughs.

Greetz

S.
Zippy

Re: A little Welsh deathmarch

Post by Zippy »

If this was bookface, I'd press the 'like' button.
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

It sounds great, I'm glad I rode it with you. Pushing through the new growth of pine trees and crossing an apocalyptic wasteland beyond in the dark was a highlight. Glad you enjoyed it.
Last edited by custardfeet on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Thwap! Aaargh! My eye! Pine needles on eyeball....ugh!

"Apocalyptic wasteland" is such an apt description...I'll bet that's what it looks like in the daylight. I'm truly amazed neither of us came out with a broken ankle/lower leg.

Brutalicious :)

Greetz

S.
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

The only injures I sustained was a thousand tiny scratches on my shins, I have found pine needles in places I thought they would never reach!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

This up on Strava or anything like that? I'm interested to see if it crosses paths with any of the routes I've done in the area. Sounds like it might have.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Sounds like a mostly good trip, the bit being less good is the death marching! At least you had company!
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

I have it on Viewranger, here it is,

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NzYzOTA=
Attachments
SUNP0020.jpg
SUNP0020.jpg (95.33 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Last edited by custardfeet on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Sounds like a great adventure that one, good effort chaps

Drew
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ha... I just checked out the route, and yeah, I've done some of the bits you're taking about when I did my WRT 2015 route (and when I did a couple of test rides on the route in the weeks before). Thanks to forestry work I remember pushing up one steep chute for about half an hour.