With the onset of winter ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Re: With the onset of winter ...

Post by voodoo_simon »

One overnighter and that's it! Plenty of extended evening rides but nothing worth shouting about even though I enjoyed then :-bd
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Well its not been a bad summer really. Coming back from travelling I realised quite early on that I didn't have much motivation for racing, and just focussed on riding in different locations and enjoying myself. It certainly seems to have worked :grin:

Bristol Bikefest
Etape De Yorkshire
Way of the Roses (In a day)
Wales in a Day
Pennine Bridleway (Southern Section)
Arran
Capital Trail
Peak District Overnighter
Clywdians

Few more trips planned over winter, but normally tend to run more over winter.
gravitysucks

Post by gravitysucks »

Started the year on form and ticked off the Rovaniemi 150 and a couple of 200milers before injury struck.
Month off the bike, back on for a few weeks then did the Capital Trail before blowing my knee.
Queue 3 months off missing most of the summer. I've started gently back into things now and things seem to be getting back on track so I'm actually looking forward to a solids winter riding and making lots of plans for next year.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

gravitysucks wrote:Started the year on form and ticked off the Rovaniemi 150
I just looked that up. Wow. I can't even imagine what you'd have to wear on something like that. Can't imagine cycling in the sort of gear it would take you to handle that level of cold... at least not putting out any massive exertion (I imagine even in that cold you could overheat if your seriously warm clothes weren't amazingly breathable).
composite

Post by composite »

It's been a bad year and worse summer.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Nothing spectacular this Summer.

Spent the longest time off a bike for 5 years due to a back issue but now gradually getting back on and looking forward to building my rides back up...

Reading this thread shows that there is a fair amount of injury and/or illness in BB land...

Look after yourselves!

Si
brotherhuw

Post by brotherhuw »

New house= little riding
New baby= less riding

One overnighter with lots of after children's bed time spent exploring local paths and gowers moors. Made up for less biking with more kit buying and prep. Bikes never been in such good nic!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

brotherhuw wrote:New house= little riding
New baby= less riding

One overnighter with lots of after children's bed time spent exploring local paths and gowers moors. Made up for less biking with more kit buying and prep. Bikes never been in such good nic!
Sounds like me! My little one is 18 months, so in a good routine now, bath and bedtime at 6, so that means either me or the wifey go out seperately for a cycle or a run for an hour
brotherhuw

Post by brotherhuw »

Sounds like me! My little one is 18 months, so in a good routine now, bath and bedtime at 6, so that means either me or the wifey go out seperately for a cycle or a run for an hour

And then you go and have another...
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Didn't finish a certain welsh route at easter.
Bought a new house.
Did Tour Divide
Moved into said new house.
Now working like crazy to pay for both.

Totally worth it.

Winter is likely to involve lots of singlespeed mtbing, mainly focusing on climbing in readiness for HTR next May. Also starting running, and want to do a half marathon next year, preferably a trail marathon.
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

MB, The Grizzly? Oh, just checked 2016 already closed.
4 trigs, sidmouth?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

brotherhuw wrote:New house= little riding
House I'm trying to buy backs onto a canal which leads (off road) to two different trail centres and a bunch of cheeky singletrack.

Needless to say, I'm REALLY hoping there aren't any problems, as it should mean a ton more riding for me.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Richard G wrote:
gravitysucks wrote:Started the year on form and ticked off the Rovaniemi 150
I just looked that up. Wow. I can't even imagine what you'd have to wear on something like that. Can't imagine cycling in the sort of gear it would take you to handle that level of cold... at least not putting out any massive exertion (I imagine even in that cold you could overheat if your seriously warm clothes weren't amazingly breathable).
Here's a list of kit I took with me, probably not the right kit and it was on the heavier side for the weather, but I had no complaints from it

https://singlespeedsimon.wordpress.com/ ... ctual-kit/
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

Seem to have increased my ability to excel at nothing inparticular by again increasing my hobby count.

Taken up dinghy sailing which is great fun.
Did my first sprint tri down at Dawlish.
Did my annual castle to castle sea swim in Falmouth
Completed a couple of multi day trips with my little girl. Devon coast 2 coast and Wales loop.
Grabbed 4 cheeky days pedalling round Brittany in May
Ran 10 miles for the first time in about 30 years.
Full susser spent most of this year hanging in the garage. Mostly riding my 29er mash up and my roadie.

Need to work out how to get more free time for next year....
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Since the HTR no big trips, though Tom and I have both managed to average ~100 miles a week since July and we've both got decent cyclists tans, which is the test of if there has been a summer in the Peak.

The plan is to keep up the miles over the autumn/winter. In fact we're hoping to do 100+ miles at Relentless 24 this weekend. :wink:
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

The summer's not been a complete write-off, but I could definitely have done more of the fun stuff and less of the work stuff, though some of the work stuff is fun as well. Haven't got as many bivvy nights in as I'd have liked - certainly haven't managed one a month - but have had a few nice nights out all the same.

Did a couple of sportives which I very much enjoyed, including doing the Rivers Ride up in the Lakes with my Dad, which was ace. Spent more of August riding my bike, which was good as well. Worked on a lot of cycling events, mostly the Adventure-X series, which were really fun, though I'd always want to be riding rather than working on them if I could.

Not biking-related really, but the best bits of my season were the two international trips I've had, heading out to photograph and write about Adventure Races. Two weeks in Alaska in June/July and a week in eastern Canada in September are things I ain't going to complain about. No bugger would listen if I did...
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

voodoo_simon wrote:Here's a list of kit I took with me, probably not the right kit and it was on the heavier side for the weather, but I had no complaints from it

https://singlespeedsimon.wordpress.com/ ... ctual-kit/
Interesting, cheers.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Nevis, forgot about 4 trigs, my cousin has done that a few times, I ride those hills loads, steep and fun. Might enter! Thanks
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

mountainbaker wrote:I ride those hills loads, steep and fun
Yeah I ride round East Hill and Sidmouth a fair bit. Just started running up at East Hill. Not sure how long it will last as I can't decide whether I like running or not, the hills don't seem to agree with me!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Had a pretty good trip along the France/Italy border then another tour to Lake Constance, nothing remote or exotic but very enjoyable. We're lucky here, the terrain on our doorstep is amazing and Europe is so close and so varied. UK winters are crap, nothing makes them genuinely enjoyable anywhere imo but the contrast makes me appreciate what good conditions we do get and being in Taiwan humidity right now makes me appreciate a different sort of bad weather so it's all good.

This year I think I finally 'got' riding without needing to push myself in any way or it be part of a plan leading to something more. There isn't more or next, just now, seems to be a healthier way to be on the bike. I was never much of a racer but certainly prone to following the ego side of seeing what I was capable of, now I'm not sure that it's very important, just a small part of riding. Cue long but relaxed rides, more stopping to soak up a view, even a trip where someone else sleeping in an hour longer than me most days was OK (after stressing about it for the first few days .. !) and more appreciation of why I ride. Also meant lower fitness levels when I do want to push on and a realisation that good form makes riding more fun, so the cycle starts again.. Ha. All kept in check by a couple of things that remind me that lots of hours on the bike aren't always good for you. Moderation is.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Yeah I ride round East Hill and Sidmouth a fair bit. Just started running up at East Hill. Not sure how long it will last as I can't decide whether I like running or not, the hills don't seem to agree with me!

Take your bike with you I use Salcombe Hill and Peak Hill as training with my bike. For Salcombe Hill follow the walkers route Alma bridge Cliff Rd. Ride where you can until the big field then its a push. When you get to the woods carry to finish at trig point. Then back same route and cycle as far up Peak Hill as you can.
If you cant make it get off and push and carry up the walkers path.
When you have done that few times stop at Connaught Gardens cafe for the most amazing chocolate brownie and hot chocolate. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
SRS

Post by SRS »

jameso wrote:This year I think I finally 'got' riding without needing to push myself in any way or it be part of a plan leading to something more. There isn't more or next, just now, seems to be a healthier way to be on the bike.
As someone whose rides are almost never relaxed, those are thought provoking words.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

i must admit james teres some truth in that - my first real "ride" this year was a solo coast to coast from skye to montrose.

With no set plan - just how do the legs feel , where can i go while reading the map before bed the night before....

it was fooking ace - no compromising on route because who ever i was riding with either thought it too easy or too hard . just where i wanted to go - when i wanted to go and no waiting.
ton

Post by ton »

I have spent 36 years just riding my bike. never raced, never timed myself, almost never stand up on the pedals. I don't want to go fast on my bike......you miss far too much when travelling quickly. :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One of the great things about the 'bikepacking world' is the split between the "I'm going to do this as fast as I can" and the "I'm going to bimble around and see where I end up" modes of pedalling. Neither's right and neither's wrong and luckily, we're all able to do both as much or as little as we like without it spoiling the other ... it's a wonderful thing, although I've probably not explained it very well.
May the bridges you burn light your way