Which rim for a dynamo hub?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

welshwhit

Which rim for a dynamo hub?

Post by welshwhit »

Hi folks,

With some birthday money and the prospect of all my lunchtimes on duty I reckon that I'm going to invest in a dynamo hub.

I reckon I've decided on the SP PD-8x as a hub, seems to be well respected and robust, and with the insert can be used with standard QR and bolt through options to make it a bit more future proof should I change forks/wheels.

But with that sorted, I turned to the subject of rims....

I originally thought of Stans crests or the hope equivalent (I'll be having the wheel built and the lbs recommends the hope version).

It'll see the bulk of its use on my 29er off road but then I thought, is there a rim that could be used for both my Scandel and my crosser....

So, is there a rim that would suit both a 2.2 to 2.4 tyre and a 30 to 40c tyre cross tyre!?

Part of me (the rational part...) knows the answer to this, thats its going to involve to many compromises to achieve good results for both, but hey! maybe the collective knowledge will confirm my thoughts or come up with a rim that fits the bill!

Thanks folks

Drew
Dyffers

Re: Which rim for a dynamo hub?

Post by Dyffers »

I have used Crests on the 29er for 5 years, with 25mm road tyres (with tubes at 80psi) on the winter bike for 2 years and with CX tyres tubeless at 40psi occasionally. For an allrounder rim I wouldn't choose anything else.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

A rim with a 19-23mm internal width is going to be fine with a 40c tyre.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Crests :-bd

Having said that I had mine built into an Inferno 23 as that is what's on the back of the Fargo. What are you currently running and does having a matching wheel matter to you? Good excuse to get a new rear one as well I suppose... :lol:
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've ran crests on my cx but I now have grails and you can run 29er tyres on those and road tyres tubeless too if required
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

johnnystorm wrote:Crests :-bd

Having said that I had mine built into an Inferno 23 as that is what's on the back of the Fargo. What are you currently running and does having a matching wheel matter to you? Good excuse to get a new rear one as well I suppose... :lol:

Cheers Nige, Currently running Black Flag expert pro, which are a licensed design from stans, from my measurements they seem to effectively be rebranded crest rims. I'm not much fussed about them matching front and back, as I'll keep the front wheel, and slot on the Dynamo when needed.

I reckon the crest is a winner then!

Thanks for the feedback folks, I'll have a look at the grail too before I commit, few more lunchtimes to mull over choices will i earn the pennies!

Drew
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

welshwhit wrote:
johnnystorm wrote:Crests :-bd

Cheers Nige, Currently running Black Flag expert pro, which are a licensed design from stans, from my measurements they seem to effectively be rebranded crest rims. I'm not much fussed about them matching front and back, as I'll keep the front wheel, and slot on the Dynamo when needed.

I reckon the crest is a winner then!

Thanks for the feedback folks, I'll have a look at the grail too before I commit, few more lunchtimes to mull over choices will i earn the pennies!

Drew
After a couple of years and a few thousand miles I just noticed my "matching" rims.....don't! The rear OEM is plain and the front one is eyeletted! :lol:

If your rears are essentially Crests then you can get yourself a pair of Crest decals and all's well in the world. :-bd