First GPS

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Trail-rat

Re: First GPS

Post by Trail-rat »

well spoke with them this morning , they have accepted my ID and are shipping out.

Seems to be a new thing on the continent for online sales , few comments on other european shops ive useds facebook pages asking why they are doing it.

Cutting down on fraud.

to be fair the berg fruend folk have been nice about it.

Will let you know if it turns up - i suspect early next week as im away upthe cairngorms all weekend from thursday morning :D
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

lionelrik wrote:. Was looking at the Oregon 600 but will back off if they are not kosher.
That looks a smart device - better screen res and faster processor than the etrex/dakota things. Slightly less battery life, but certainly not unacceptable. If you get one, lettuce snow how you get on with it. :geek:
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Lionelrick

They have dispatched something to the uk via dhl now. Fairly confident im getting something- half a brick maybe ;)

To be fair i did research them before handing over my cc details , its jsut the first time ive been asked for id such as that and so became suspicious.
ootini

Post by ootini »

As a budget second hand alternative, how does everyone rate the Garmin Etrex Vista hcx ? Seems on a par with the newer models, but with a lower screen resolution.
lionelrik

Post by lionelrik »

Trail-rat wrote:Lionelrick

They have dispatched something to the uk via dhl now. Fairly confident im getting something- half a brick maybe ;)

To be fair i did research them before handing over my cc details , its jsut the first time ive been asked for id such as that and so became suspicious.
Cheers Trail rat,

Keep us updated? Truth is I've found the Oregon cheaper at Handtec.co.uk Does anyone have any experience of dealing with these guys?
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

used handtec for buying my edge 500 a few years back. they were good.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Have bought both car garmins and my Dakota from Handtec with no issues.

Do also have a look on Rakuten.co.uk (formerly play.com) who have some good "points" deals running. Recently I got an 810 with cad/speed/hrm for under £200 delivered from a UK seller.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

my etrex and bar mount turned up.

good service from berg freund despite initial concerns.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Dragging this one up from the past, so apologies if that's not the done thing.

Looking at something for multi-day rides as it seems counter intuitive to drag all the power packs around to keep phone/gps watch charged for those duties

the eTrex e10 seems like a nice balance between budget/features/age.

any thoughts on others? the venture and vista seem a bit limited on waypoints, plus the proprietory connectors have me scared.
Image Image
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

If budget can stretch consider the Garmin Oregon 700
Recently bought one based on recommends here, fantastic unit
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I second Apposite cautiously

I've just got an Organ 700 and am finding it fast and feature rich. But the software is a bit flaky and I've crashed the unit a few times already. The Bluetooth is not great either with iOS and I have to keep forgetting and re-adding the Oregan to my phone. Finally some of the screen controls are super fiddley and need multiple stabs with my finger to activate.

Having said that the fact that you can charge batteries inside the unit as well as use AAs is a massive plus.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Dave Barter wrote:I second Apposite cautiously

I've just got an Organ 700 and am finding it fast and feature rich. But the software is a bit flaky and I've crashed the unit a few times already. The Bluetooth is not great either with iOS and I have to keep forgetting and re-adding the Oregan to my phone. Finally some of the screen controls are super fiddley and need multiple stabs with my finger to activate.

Having said that the fact that you can charge batteries inside the unit as well as use AAs is a massive plus.
I'm finding pretty much the same as Dave with my Oregon 700 (upgraded from a 450)
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

that is a very nice looking unit, but definitely outside the budget.

appreciate the responses so far
Image Image
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Etrex series and the Dakota/Oregon/Montana range seem to be the most common in use for multi-day rides. You'll still need to take some form of power - the Oregon will discharge a set of rechargeable AAs over a very long day or a couple of shorter (but still long) days for example so you will need to either recharge those batteries or have spares. At the WRT I had one "fully" charged set and two spares and used one of those spare sets (Oregon 600).

There's a site that shows the setups for the main Garmin GPS units https://www.navigation-professionell.de/en/ included are settings to save power.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Had a etrex 20 now for a good few years , I like that I can just swap out the batteries , on the WRT I just used it for grid reference instead of looking for map contours lazy I know ,to see the route on a paper map as I find it's easier to plan your route when you can see the full picture on a paper map than on the little screen of the etrex
chris n

Post by chris n »

You can't add maps to the etrex 10, so if you wanted OS or Open Street Maps for navigation you're stuck with a track/route on the onboard basemap and cross referencing to a paper map. I'd recommend stretching to the 20 (or even 30 - it's a nicer colour :wink: ) if you can. I have an older 30 and I think it's great. It'll last 30-40 hours on a single pair of eneloops, longer on lithium batteries.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Dave Barter wrote:The Bluetooth is not great either with iOS......
Odd, haven't seen any Bluetooth drop-outs with the iPhone X

Dave Barter wrote:Having said that the fact that you can charge batteries inside the unit as well as use AAs is a massive plus.
Yup, the "business card bodge" to fool the unit into charging standard NiMH batteries is very useful
ootini

Post by ootini »

FYI I eventually bought an Etrex 20, and it's great.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

chris n wrote:You can't add maps to the etrex 10, so if you wanted OS or Open Street Maps for navigation you're stuck with a track/route on the onboard basemap and cross referencing to a paper map. I'd recommend stretching to the 20 (or even 30 - it's a nicer colour :wink: ) if you can. I have an older 30 and I think it's great. It'll last 30-40 hours on a single pair of eneloops, longer on lithium batteries.
I discovered some interesting hacks for that. Will go and dig them out if anyone is interested?
Image Image
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Update on the Oregon battery life. At this weekend's JennRide I started with a fully charged (but not new) set of batteries and did 12hrs on Saturday then on Sunday I forgot to turn the unit off before going home and the low battery beep sounded after ten hours of usage. So 22hrs. I wasn't using the maps much, mainly because I know the area.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

ive had a etrex 30 for 4 years now,the unit kept switching itself off during the jenn ride,it only managed to keep on when i was in trip mode but when switched to view maps it turned off,rather anoying,anyone know how to fix it,