Gwynedd Council Cutbacks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Gwynedd Council Cutbacks

Post by Richard G »

Seems like this covers areas many of us visit. There was a topic on the potential closure of the Barmouth bridge recently, but it seems the potential for cuts relating to trails could be far wider reaching.

http://singletrackworld.com/2015/10/the ... challenge/
There are several proposals that need a look, specifically:

Env 1 – This would cut all maintenance of all the Council’s recreational routes, mostly on old railway lines.

Env 13 – This is the budget for the maintenance of rights of way. But as well as the seasonal mowing and cutting back of overgrown trails, it also has the mechanism for complaints about blocked (naturally, or deliberately) rights of way. So, if the full 40% cut goes through and the farmers and landowners lock the gates to trails and let sunken lanes grow over, there’d be no one to complain to, or to enforce the re-opening of the right of way. Only Snowdon and NRW (formerly the Forestry Commission in Wales) would likely be maintained due to the number of visitors. Although, apparently 49% of visitors to the area come to walk on the beaches. There’s no mention of mountain biking.
Maybe it's time for me to start carrying a chainsaw and a strimmer.
Jurassic pusher

Re: Gwynedd Council Cutbacks

Post by Jurassic pusher »

:)) :lol:
Richard G wrote:Seems like this covers areas many of us visit. There was a topic on the potential closure of the Barmouth bridge recently, but it seems the potential for cuts relating to trails could be far wider reaching.

http://singletrackworld.com/2015/10/the ... challenge/
There are several proposals that need a look, specifically:

Env 1 – This would cut all maintenance of all the Council’s recreational routes, mostly on old railway lines.

Env 13 – This is the budget for the maintenance of rights of way. But as well as the seasonal mowing and cutting back of overgrown trails, it also has the mechanism for complaints about blocked (naturally, or deliberately) rights of way. So, if the full 40% cut goes through and the farmers and landowners lock the gates to trails and let sunken lanes grow over, there’d be no one to complain to, or to enforce the re-opening of the right of way. Only Snowdon and NRW (formerly the Forestry Commission in Wales) would likely be maintained due to the number of visitors. Although, apparently 49% of visitors to the area come to walk on the beaches. There’s no mention of mountain biking.
Maybe it's time for me to start carrying a chainsaw and a strimmer.
Could have done with them on the BB200!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It won't make a blind bit of difference round here. Powys is massive, it has the largest RoW network of all the English / Welsh counties* and the smallest population ... therefor it's skint. I've never known the council do anything to bridleways, footpaths or any other RoW. In fact any clearing, reinstating, etc is carried out by volunteer groups.

*I believe Powys has a single RoW officer for an area that runs from Welshpool to Brecon.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Fair enough, was unaware of that fact. Seems I'll have to find other excuses to carry around my chainsaw then. :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fair enough, was unaware of that fact. Seems I'll have to find other excuses to carry around my chainsaw then.
I can see the film trailer now .... "RichardG, a maverick pruner on a mission to clear Wales of bush" :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

There's nothing like freshly trimmed bush.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Fair enough, was unaware of that fact. Seems I'll have to find other excuses to carry around my chainsaw then.

I can see the film trailer now .... "RichardG, a maverick pruner on a mission to clear Wales of bush" :wink:
Wasn't the man with chainsaw attacks bush film banned in the 80's?