What bars are you using?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

SteveM

Re: What bars are you using?

Post by SteveM »

tried a ti set years ago, didn't get on with them at all

recently got a carbon set for my Jones plus after my woodchipper experiment failed, still not quite settled with them yet partly because I've not settled with the bike yet

might try the esi grips instead of the ergons I have fitted
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just out of interest, is there anyone aside from me who doesn't get on with Loops?

The jury is still out for me.
I haven't done enough miles to format full opinion but generally speaking I found them quite comfy so long as it wasn't techy riding.
In the rocks at speed I found my hands sliding inwards and had to go for a death grip to stay hold.

Could have been technique though. More riding needed to prove it out when I get round to re fitting
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm not a massive fan. I fit them to the fatbike in winter as I reckon the hand position gives a lot of very fine control for handling on snow and ice. In summer it wears standard straight bars. I can see how the extra tubing is handy for fitting luggage though and Revelate even do an extra fitting kit for the Sweet Roll to make use of it.

My 29er had flats and bar-ends (which I ride on almost all the time). I've fitted tri-bars a couple of times if I know I've got long road sections. I also fancy trying some of those little plastic extensions - the ones that fit between levers and grips.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I also fancy trying some of those little plastic extensions - the ones that fit between levers and grips.
TOGS ... I was quite impressed when I tried them.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH, I slagged the concept.

Then I realised I was riding with my hands in exactly that position quite a lot :oops:

Do you know if there is a UK supplier?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think there is Colin. Whether there's any in the EU, I don't know.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

Just out of interest, is there anyone aside from me who doesn't get on with Loops?

change that to 'is there anyone aside from me who doesn't get on with any bars at all'......................... that is me.

a fused right wrist and 4ft wide shoulders dont match with many bars.
750mm flats felt ok for a hour, 750mm risers were ok for a ride, woodchippers are far too narrow where the brakes go, jones bars were ideal, until i fitted ergon grips, which caused the wrist to solidify more. sold em on, them bought some more a month later fitted with esi grips.......touch wood they are ok for now.
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

SteveM wrote:tried a ti set years ago, didn't get on with them at all

recently got a carbon set for my Jones plus after my woodchipper experiment failed, still not quite settled with them yet partly because I've not settled with the bike yet

might try the esi grips instead of the ergons I have fitted
Are you planning to tape them up? I wasn't sure how the carbon ones would stand up to straps and drybags - I run my ali bars with short grips and no tape.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Dave42w wrote:
Farawayvisions wrote:On one Mary bars for me. Waiting for someone to sell a set of Jones Loop bars at a bargain price. Don't all rush at once.
Yeah like any of us with Loop bars are going to be willing to sell them ;-)
Forever hopeful. :wink: And if Dan goes off for a week, I might just borrow his, though they are ridiculously wide for my small bike.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I also fancy trying some of those little plastic extensions - the ones that fit between levers and grips.
TOGS ... I was quite impressed when I tried them.
Impressed enough to still be using them?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I get them for comfort but I'm not convinced they are the best for riding techy rocky trails and I'm unwilling to layout 120 smackers to try them, notwithstanding johns comments about being able to sell them secondhand easy enough. I use 800mm wide 50mm rise Spank spikes on both the Krampus and the ICT just now and I'm reluctant to reduce width. I am contemplating ditching the cowbells from the fargo and going loop but will try the humperts as a cheapo alternative.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:...is there anyone aside from me who doesn't get on with Loops?
Hard to say as I haven't tried 'em...but I'm not a huge fan of massively swept back bars. I tried riding Mikes bike the other week and it felt like I was trying to touch my knees whilst steering a bike.

Currently using Cobalt 11's on Lois and Monkey Lite XC's on Kadey. 5-7 degrees seems to be about what works for me.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Called in on-one yesterday on way back from a lovely ride out to the stunning town of Rotherham. Managed to find the last carbon OG bar sat on shelf at rear of shop....what a bargain £20 thanks then :0)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I don't think there is Colin. Whether there's any in the EU, I don't know.
Well, this thread has prompted me to order a couple of sets from the US. I'll let you know when they arrive and what I think of them.
tdurack

Post by tdurack »

Jones Loop 710 on a Monocog Flight with 40mm stem. Needed the shorter stem before I fitted the loops. Have tried:

1. Race face oe 2010 660 with cane creek ergo control 2 bar ends. The bars are okay but I suffer some wrist and shoulder pain on longer rides. Not really tried with 40mm stem.
2. Origin8 Batwing 660. Like, but was surprised to discover these are too narrow for me.
3. Jones Loop 710. These work the best for me.

I use spurcycle grip rings on the Jones Loop so I can adjust the position of levers easily. That seems to work well when setting up the bars.

I have a set of TOGS that I tried for a while on the race face bars. Didn't really do much for me.

Most of my riding involves beer packing and bridge/park loops around NYC, so my opinion may not count for much. The Jones looks good with flannel and facial hair though :-)
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Apologies for the thread resurrection, and thanks for all the ideas...
I've bought a set of these Titec J Bars to see what they're like.
Designed by the man Jeff himself it seems.
Just hoping at 680mm they're wide enough.. :oops:

Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

large yellow ones ....
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Single Speed George wrote:large yellow ones ....
Nope, you've lost me.. :roll:
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have a set of those titecs, and loops at that width, and do like them. If your somewhat shorter the 710 may be too much IMO.
That said I had a pair of the new ones for a while and did like them on the 29er.