Stans ZTR Crest Rims

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rocklobstercat

Stans ZTR Crest Rims

Post by rocklobstercat »

Anyone use these rims in their wheels. I've heard they are very light but have a rider weight limit of 190 lbs. I'm under that weight but how do they hold up to bikepacking with all the extra kit etc?
AlasdairMc

Re: Stans ZTR Crest Rims

Post by AlasdairMc »

I've had a set for a couple of years, and only now has the rear needed trued after a lot of abuse, fully loaded.

Flows are a lot stiffer but the Crest is a nice lightweight rim.
DPM

Post by DPM »

Yep - I'm running them too. I'm a light rider but done a number of trips on them this summer loaded up and off road for one and two nights out. Been using them for around 6 months and no problems at all.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Nowt wrong with crests. :-bd
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

HI; i have used crests without problems on the front wheel of my rigid 29nr, I was advised to fit a beefier rim on the back so i chose the Arch EX. ( same dimensions but heavier duty ). Hope this helps. Mark
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd recommned mavics - 4 series (19mm to 24mm) really neat tubeless system with no sticky tape required plus crucially half the price.
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

1 + for the Mavics!
Excellent value rims, go up really easily tubeless, decent weight and like the man said nearly half the price!!
Winner!!!!!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Here here for Mavics.

Ive got some Arch 26er rims that are an utter bastard to fit tyres too. I think they were designed before the UST standard so Stans made them just that little extra bigger to ensure a snug fit of the bead. Every time I have to change the tyres on the things its a sweaty sweary wrestling match.
I'm just going outside ...
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Has anyone got a link to the Mavic wheels, I can't seem to find the ones you're on about?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

18 months on crests and no problems.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

TheBrownDog wrote:Here here for Mavics.

Ive got some Arch 26er rims that are an utter bastard to fit tyres too. I think they were designed before the UST standard so Stans made them just that little extra bigger to ensure a snug fit of the bead. Every time I have to change the tyres on the things its a sweaty sweary wrestling match.
I'm pretty sure Stans are designed for normal tyres to go tubeless and not just UST. Only tyres I've struggled to get on Stans were some 35c Vittoria CX tyres. Everything else is a breeze and goes up tubeless first time with a track pump.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Don't the Mavics use a special long spoke nipple?

I'm just about to click the buy it now button for a pair of Velocity Blunt SS rims.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nope use normal nipples - they are identical to the old 319s just with the wee ridge to hold the bead in. And getting tyres on and off is dead easy

http://www.mavic.co.uk/rims-mtb-xm-419-disc
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

I'm 12 st and have been running crest 29 for a couple of years now and 28 hole against advice and have slammed down some pretty rocky tracks with big drop off's in the peaks & Wales loaded up with gear and without much finesse i might add and they are still in good shape..
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm pretty sure Stans are designed for normal tyres to go tubeless and not just UST. Only tyres I've struggled to get on Stans were some 35c Vittoria CX tyres. Everything else is a breeze and goes up tubeless first time with a track pump.
Yep, designed before the UST standard for "normal" tyres, so the rims are tighter. Ive tried them with everything though and always the struggle to mount them. I dunno what it is with my 26er Arch rims but a quick google reveals heaps of people with similar issues, and just as many folks who have no problems at all. Thankfully they are seeing out the rest of their days on my wife's "stays in the shed" bike, fitted with some thus far puncture proof touring tyres.
I'm just going outside ...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

As folk have said they are generally good. However I'd add that it depends on the quality of your wheel build too.