North West YHA/B&B trip

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

North West YHA/B&B trip

Post by barney »

I've got a bit of a "lung issue" at the moment, nothing too serious but until it's sorted Mrs Barney doesn't want me sleeping out on the cold ground. We've come up with a compromise that I can still go on overnighters but I have to stay in B&B's or Youth Hostels.

Anyone know of any short North West/Wales/Lakes routes around hostels etc. ?

Cheers
Wait for me...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: North West YHA/B&B trip

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bothies?
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Betws y coed, if only for a pint after your ride and more importantly, a visit to the siabod cafe for breakfast :-bd
barney

Post by barney »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Bothies?
Sorry Stuart bothies are out, have to be guaranteed a bed so I can keep warm (part of the deal).
Wait for me...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Shame bothies are out

Black sail is ringing a bell for me, not quite sure why,but I have a niggling feeling it's a place you can stay and there's a route nearby...
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

benp1 wrote: Black sail is ringing a bell for me, not quite sure why,but I have a niggling feeling it's a place you can stay and there's a route nearby...
ye black sail hut is ok but you would need to book in advance on most weekends. as it is the samallest youth hostel there is nd on the cost to coast walk. some ok bridel ways out of ennerdaile from it , pretty hard mountain pushing around there but some epic decents . the main youth hostel is just 3 miles down the track too
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Does Black Sail still do their Thursday Curries? Meant that Thursdays were booked out as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You could do something nice using Dolgoch and Ty'n cornel as overnight stops ... both lovely places.

http://www.elenydd-hostels.co.uk/
May the bridges you burn light your way
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

There's loads in the Lakes Barney, i do it regularly with a group i'm in. Just pick your area & pull some Google Fu moves..

Hawkshead is ideal as they have both camping pods & the hostel. The camping pods have a heater & light inside, with porch area outside you could cook on if needed. There's loads & loads of trails in this area in every direction. Grizedale is right on the doorstep, or you could head East across on the ferry & onto Windermere. Head west over to Coniston, North to Ambleside or South towards Newby Bridge & Cartmel. There's some great riding & you wouldn't have to go far to experience it.
http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/hawkshead

There's also Grasmere, Elterwater, Ambleside & Keswick YHA's.

If you want a bit more luxury there's Shepherds huts, some even have a small log burner in-
http://herdyhuts.co.uk/
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

If you want to ride from you could head along the coastal path to the yha at Conwy? It's best to book in advance with that one as it's pretty popular and I wouldn't recommend a dorm room unless you like being surrounded by people snoring/farting all night.

Also the headwind can be a right bugger on the way there with very little shelter along the way, but you do pass quite a few fish n chip shops to keep you going.