That feeling when...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MussEd

That feeling when...

Post by MussEd »

You spend ages prepping your gear in the blazing sun in the back garden, clearing a space in the diary for the following evening, securing the necessary family permit to take off into the hills, sorting out a couple of irritating bike niggles THEN sit down with a cool drink, have a casual glance at your weather app and discover monsoon conditions are set to return just as you are due to push the bike out the back gate.

That feeling.
Single Speed George

Re: That feeling when...

Post by Single Speed George »

mud is always fun :D
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I have the opposite...when it's about to tank down, Mrs Scattamah will say "get out there...don't be a blouse!"

Knew I married her for a reason :)

Greetz

S.
MussEd

Post by MussEd »

Oh it's not going stop play but was kknd of looking forward to a pleasant warm summers evening. Instead of another test of endurance...
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I have that fear every time, but that's actually the best part of bikepacking!

I panic, I pack..unpack...repack, stress over every imaginable detail, mostly food and weather, and have bugged out more than once due to forecast :oops:

However, once I'm out the door, and in the saddle, all is well. No stress, worry, pondering with kit or thinking about work and home, nothing, all I have to do is pedal, come rain or shine.
Once you've puckered up the courage to get your feet wet and get out it could quite possibly be the most stress free and mentally relaxing thing, just keep pedalling :-bd

Ofcourse that doesn't strop the stress once your home again planning the next trip.... :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have the opposite...when it's about to tank down, Mrs Scattamah will say "get out there...don't be a blouse!"
I get that too, although the actual terminology used is often somewhat blunter :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
cycleofaddiction

Post by cycleofaddiction »

Lol i'm having that feeling right now i've been planning a 3ish day 230km ride from Aberystwyth back home to Stoke over the Cambrian mtns and Long Mynd for a few weeks now starting this Sunday and at the moment the forecast is rain every day !! I'm hoping they're wrong or it will change..i can live with showers but if it's wall to wall rain then i think this one will have to wait !
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@CoA - Don't let wall-to-wall rain stop you. You can still have fun and find beauty out there when it's shedding it down. It'll make you stronger in resolve to boot.

Greetz

S.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Scattamah wrote:@CoA - Don't let wall-to-wall rain stop you. You can still have fun and find beauty out there when it's shedding it down. It'll make you stronger in resolve to boot.
Indeed. Earlier this year my wife and I decided to do the northern part of the West Highland Way, basically Crianlarich to Ft William. So bought tickets and booked the bikes on the return train from Ft William.

We get to Crianlarich and it's wet. And Windy. Actually it's very wet and very windy. Most of the route was under a couple of cm of water. The first day getting to Kinlochleven was as hard a day I've had in the hills for a long, long time. We were both close to being hypothermic, really not pleasant. Bivvied in the woods above KL on the way to Lairigh Mor. The following day was much more pleasant.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote: I get that too, although the actual terminology used is often somewhat blunter :wink:
Have you been "knobbing around" in the workshop again Stu? :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you been "knobbing around" in the workshop again Stu?
Funny you should ask, just finished and popped in to make a brew. She now actually tells people that I'm a professional 'Nobber Abouter' :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

s8tannorm wrote: I'm a professional 'Nobber Abouter'
Always good to have a trade you can fall back on in times of need, :wink: .
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Back on track,

All ready to go out for the night and it's raining quite a bit here. Hopefully it'll finish before I go. :roll:
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Get out there Taylor. You know you love it.
MussEd

Post by MussEd »

Well it went ahead, and despite a less than promising forecast, it turned out a beautiful evening...I'll do a wee ride report in the other section...
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

There used to be a saying - 'there's no such thing as bad weather only the wrong clothing'.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Single Speed George

looks like getting "that feeling when" for this weekend on sand stone way , but weather forecast is improving so maybe i wont have to take the tarp and stove .... will see
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We're up that way (Chatton near Wooler) but road biking for a change, say hi if you see a group of Skipton CC riders :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

After just riding through 14 miles of mud last night to my partners house, in heavy rain, I can say its never as bad when you're out in it, though the mud in my drivetrain might disagree....

All my friends in the forces live by the motto: Skin is waterproof!
Although clearly they've not experienced " trenchfoot " yet :lol:

However putting back on soaking filthy clothing this morning, including a damp chamois has to be the worst feeling in the world
Single Speed George

my drivetrain might disagree....
all about the single speed