80/20 Road/EasyTrail Tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

80/20 Road/EasyTrail Tyres

Post by FLV »

Can anybody recommend tyres for 80% Road 20% easy tracks please?

Going on a cross check, tubed, folders preferred to save a sniff of mass.

ta.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: 80/20 Road/EasyTrail Tyres

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like the On-One gravel road tyres, although they might be a bit too 'grippy' for 80% road?

The 38c Challenge Gravel Grinders look like they might be ideal. On-One have wired versions for £21, listed weight 425g so not overly portly.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYCHGRGCO/c ... ncher-tyre

I've heard very good reports about the Compass Barlow Pass tyre ... I think Jameso has been running some (could be mistaken though).

http://www.velovitality.co.uk/collectio ... 0c-x-38-mm
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

The GG is likely overkill you're right. Good Price though.

The compass looks a lovely tyre, but 80 notes for a set is too rich for me.

Just spotted a conti Contact 2 extra light, they look ok.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Schwalbe Land cruisers

Cheap, puncture resistant and I've road tested them for over 1000 miles.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jameso

Post by jameso »

s8tannorm wrote: I've heard very good reports about the Compass Barlow Pass tyre ... I think Jameso has been running some (could be mistaken though).

http://www.velovitality.co.uk/collectio ... 0c-x-38-mm
Not me, I have some Pacenti Pari-Moto 38s as my fast 650B tyres, they're similar, great on dry non-thorny/flinty tarmac and relatively smooth dirt/gravel. Very light, fast tyres and still not the lightest/fastest that Panaracer make, the Compass tyres do look good.

Challenge gravel grinders look good, I'm not keen on the transition onto chunky side treads on fast road descents if there's sweeping corners but for local/UK use they could be ideal 50/50 tyres. Generally I go for fairly smooth tyres for this sort of use on the basis that any dirt ridden will be dry and the amount of tread that makes the tyre work well on anything loose also ruins them for tarmac use. So bigger, file/smooth tyres at under 40psi work pretty well. ie Specialized Fatboy 700x45s? Conti Contacts are not bad tyres, got a few here, more of the durable tourer / a bit wooden end of things though ime - extralight version could be ideal though. Tread works pretty well for 50/50 stuff.

edit to add, Paul E uses the Halo Twin Rails and rates them, they look like a good compromise tyre in the 30-38C range.

http://www.halowheels.com/products/part/TYHAT73D
atk

Post by atk »

Been running Panaracer Pasela (PT or TG?) for a while now. They're quite light, supple sidewalls and the wired version is fairly cheap. 40g weight saving with folding didn't seem worth the money.

Made it round the Mary Towneley Loop on them on a very dry day in one piece (couple of hairy moments...), fine on towpaths and such too.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers guys.

james, thanks for the steer on Halo twin rails. they were not on my radar at all and at 17 quid a tyre they have to be worth a punt. 550g each which seems ok. Better than the 1kg a tyre thats on it now (including wonky one).

Ta.

edit :geek:
Looks like paul is on the courier version with skinwalls. 29C and a sniff lighter still...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I've done nearly 3k miles on the On One Gravel Road tyres, mostly on road and commuting. I found them less of a drag than the Vittoria Randonee slicks they replaced. As they were OOS when needing replacement I went for the Challenge Gravel Racer and so far so good. I've not noticed any appreciable transition from centre to edge when cornering.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Halo twin rails every time. Surprisingly good off road and I can keep up with the road boys on a pretty rapid club thrash too. Rolling races down hills they really do go well.
The only problem I've had with them is that they are a loose fit on the rim and you have seat them carefully at higher pressures.
The old git in the yellow socks
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've gone for a set of the twin rails. See how I go.
New stem, inline post, cassette and chain plus front mech all on the way too. Finally get it set up right should be good times.