Fargo 29+ called the Deadwood

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: Fargo 29+ called the Deadwood

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

but shows that QBP have very tight QC at least.
Or that the frames were so sh!t a toddler could have spotted how bad they were. Spotting that there are issues with all of a whole batch of frames is easy, it's when the number of poor frames are lower within the production run, and they are identified that shows good QC.

It's a bit of a mleh point I guess :cool:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
but shows that QBP have very tight QC at least.
Or that the frames were so sh!t a toddler could have spotted how bad they were. Spotting that there are issues with all of a whole batch of frames is easy, it's when the number of poor frames are lower within the production run, and they are identified that shows good QC.

It's a bit of a mleh point I guess :cool:
Or they spotted a small number and sacked off the whole lot? Who knows, a shame none the less to narrow the range.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Fair point :cool:

I love a bit of Ti me :wink:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

The Ti frame I was refering to was the 2015 run, which was scrapped then redone by another manufacturer.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

GregMay wrote:The Ti frame I was refering to was the 2015 run, which was scrapped then redone by another manufacturer.
Ooh, interesting. The official line on dropping Lynskey was they wanted a manufacturer that could do whizzier things with Ti. Did they change again since then?
Last edited by johnnystorm on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

After building my cx bike I would love a Fargo or deadwood. Keeps looking on eBay for cheap Fargos :roll:
Trying to ride bikes.
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

How cheap a Fargo? I have a large Fargo I need to find a home for. Adore my medium Fargo, which was bough as a frameset to swap all the bits over but built as a SS instead so have a 100 mile max cream large complete bike I need to sell.
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

I think that Deadwood is gorgeous, but the suggested prices by CtB are 90% of the dollar figure.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

DrMekon wrote:I think that Deadwood is gorgeous, but the suggested prices by CtB are 90% of the dollar figure.
Ouch. :cry:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote:
DrMekon wrote:I think that Deadwood is gorgeous, but the suggested prices by CtB are 90% of the dollar figure.
Ouch. :cry:
I remember two years ago, my well mariachi was £500 (and I think the fargo frameset was the same price), now I think the same frame is closer to £900 (at least the last time it I looked it was!)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

El Mar is about £599 at the moment. Your brain is over inflating things. That's the 2015 though.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

BrianP wrote:How cheap a Fargo? I have a large Fargo I need to find a home for. Adore my medium Fargo, which was bough as a frameset to swap all the bits over but built as a SS instead so have a 100 mile max cream large complete bike I need to sell.
thank god a large is to big :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

GregMay wrote:El Mar is about £599 at the moment. Your brain is over inflating things. That's the 2015 though.
Sorry, I was taking about the fargo being £900. That's not much of an inflation in the El mariachi over the two years. Just hope Raleigh sucure the deal with salsa now (heard a rumor nothing has been finalised, not sure how true this is?)
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:
GregMay wrote:El Mar is about £599 at the moment. Your brain is over inflating things. That's the 2015 though.
Sorry, I was taking about the fargo being £900. That's not much of an inflation in the El mariachi over the two years. Just hope Raleigh sucure the deal with salsa now (heard a rumor nothing has been finalised, not sure how true this is?)
The pics from STWs visit to Raleigh's new bike park showed Salsa flags/banners. Nowt on the Raleigh "other brands" webpage. My LBS also says Raleigh are crap at getting back to them when they show interest about stocking stuff.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:
Didn't the posher Fargos come with carbon forks that were something like £500 separately? It also gained alternator drops. Not that it should make that much difference.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote:
voodoo_simon wrote:
Didn't the posher Fargos come with carbon forks that were something like £500 separately? It also gained alternator drops. Not that it should make that much difference.
Ah, that explains the price hike. Didn't realise the carbon fork alone cost £500 :shock: Would still like one though but I think I could convert my El mariachi over to something similar :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote: Ah, that explains the price hike. Didn't realise the carbon fork alone cost £500 :shock: Would still like one though but I think I could convert my El mariachi over to something similar :-bd
http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/sal ... 4563-p.asp

OOF!
Ian

Post by Ian »

That's a ridiculous price for that fork. The Shand carbon fork (like the one I have on the Bahookie) looks very similar in shape and is half that price, albeit without the anything cage bolts (which I'd be wary of on a carbon fork anyway...).
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ian wrote:That's a ridiculous price for that fork. The Shand carbon fork (like the one I have on the Bahookie) looks very similar in shape and is half that price, albeit without the anything cage bolts (which I'd be wary of on a carbon fork anyway...).

Helps pay for this, can't wait to see someone clearing the doubles on a fully laden Deadwood!

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hey and there was me only a few weeks ago, concerned that a tie-in with Raleigh might 'cheapen' the brand :roll:

I've just looked at the 2015 full bike prices and to me, they look like a work of fiction ... fantasy fiction at that.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ian wrote:That's a ridiculous price for that fork. The Shand carbon fork (like the one I have on the Bahookie) looks very similar in shape and is half that price, albeit without the anything cage bolts (which I'd be wary of on a carbon fork anyway...).
Had mine for two years, no issues with cages on the fork mounts. Also, rides just as nice as a Whisky9 fork or the Niner it replaced.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

s8tannorm wrote:Hey and there was me only a few weeks ago, concerned that a tie-in with Raleigh might 'cheapen' the brand :roll:

I've just looked at the 2015 full bike prices and to me, they look like a work of fiction ... fantasy fiction at that.
They aren't going to get any cheaper. Just more scarce sadly.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They aren't going to get any cheaper. Just more scarce sadly.
Given the prices, I'm fairly sure that even if they were available in every LBS across the land, supply would outstrip demand by some considerable margin :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Some of the bikes look nice but are starting to lose the 'functional' elements that made Salsa good.

e.g. new axle standard on the Deadwood. Why?

Plus the touring bike has a 44mm headtube and therefore a fairly uncommon headset. Not great if you wear out your bearings in Peru.

*walks away shaking head* :???:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ctznsmith wrote: e.g. new axle standard on the Deadwood. Why?
:
Because this is going to be the defacto standard for + style bikes, and most MTBs in the next year. Sorry.