Packs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

Packs

Post by didnothingfatal »

I'm looking for a larger pack for riding with, I'm a big fan of my Wingnut Assault and Splitback packs, so was wondering anybody tried the 'Adventure' pack, also have you used it as a regular pack for hiking? Any other ideas? I've used a Aarn Mountain Marathon 11 for a fair few years it's about 15l so the MM22 looks a good option with the balance pockets. Also have a very battered Osprey Talon 22. Also can't do the small OMM packs, back too short, and the Alpkit Gourdon's are the same, too short and the straps are too flimsy ime, (although they are excellent for storing kit around campsites.)
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Packs

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What you planning on carrying? ... I can get enough for a warm weather over night trip in a Wingnut Hyper 2.5 if I don't go mad ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Good time to post a pack post... I just bought a macpac rakipaki 26 3 hours ago after trying a few and finding the same prob too small for back
I paid £45 on a price match at snow and rock the bag is packed full of features and definitely worth a look at
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

My bad it's a macpac rapaki 26
didnothingfatal

It's not so much having to carry stuff, I've ditched the drybag off the handle bars, it's the fact a 9l Splitback is great for day rides, but I want to have the ability to carry more if I should need to, I don't have to fill it. With the seatbag packed and tangle bag, if I want to stuff some more clothing, pick up some food, etc. having pack capacity is a nice to have. The Adventure appeals as it came from a multisport background, so should be able to haul gear on bike or foot, and the foot is appealing as I'm currently looking at a 2-3 day bivvy trip in the Alps when I'm out there in a few weeks. I don't want to have to take a pack for this and that, Splitback for day rides and ??? Plus being this tall and Wingnut being so adjustable they have the edge on most of the packs available.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The only problem I've found with Wingnuts is when you're walking. If the side 'wings' are full they can catch on your arms ... they're also really designed to be worn with the shoulder straps slightly lose and all the weight supported on your hips, so they can feel a bit low when off the bike. Superb pack but I think there's better out there when you're doing a mixture of activities.
Matt

Post by Matt »

My last ride I had no pack and it was loverly. All the weight on the bike, great way to go as it was warm.
didnothingfatal

So what pack then ;) Macpac Amp Race is a little too short, I can live with it on the bike. TN too short. OMM I need a 35l Jirishanca, Macpac Amp Race 45 works fine as they had various backlengths, but don't want a 45l pack when biking! Aarn Marathon Magic 22 will the front pockets be a pain when biking? Any other ideas? I have a Mammut Extreme pack but it is dedicated Alpine climbing pack, but is light and a narrow design.Currently another Osprey Talon or live with brushing arms on a Wingnut??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

DNF I can't really help with your pack choice as I do my best to avoid the things but I'm interested as to why you're ditching having something on your bars in favour of something on your back?
didnothingfatal

I hate the handling! Seat pack is fine, but a large bag on the handlebars bugs the hell out of me! So a couple of feedbags and that will be fine! I can handle packs, and with my training plan I think I'll be more efficient this way. My bivvy gear now fits in a 3l stuff bag, which easily mounts on the Salsa cage, seatbag takes all my down gear and cook system, tool kit is now sub 200g, and in a tiny stuff bag, so that and medi kit happily lives in the Tangle bag. So that only really leaves food and additional clothing, perfect for the back. I've really streamlined my kit since WRT, ;)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

What about the Inov8 race pro and race elite packs. I've had the Pro 22 and Elite 15 for a fair while and love them both. Light, born out of MM, AR and multisport, sturdy and pretty good value. I thought nothing would have replaced my Macpac Amp 25 when it got nicked, but the Pro 22 is doing a good job.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Singlespeedpunk

Post by Singlespeedpunk »

I can reccomend the Inov8 Race packs: I have a Race12 for general riding duties / extra space on long trips and have used the Race 30 for the Annapurna Circuit ride I did last year. It took all my kit and even the bike frame during the Thorung La hike-a-bike!

Tought, light and loooong in the back and not unreasonable money.

Me, carrying bike with 1/2 full pack (clothes on bars in dry bag)

Me at Thorung La with bag full and frame set strapped across the top! All up it must have been 40lbs of gear there!

didnothingfatal

Inov8, too short for my back. But nice photos
Singlespeedpunk

Post by Singlespeedpunk »

didnothingfatal wrote:Inov8, too short for my back. But nice photos
Damn how tall are you? I went for the Inov8 as pretty much all other packs ended up with the waist belt across my gut :) I ran the straps lower than traditional packs so the weight could be taken more on my hips (like a wingnutgear pack) and had loads of extra adjustment.

SSP
didnothingfatal

6'4" but I have a long torso, small packs are a complete pain in the arse!
Ian

Post by Ian »

small packs are a complete pain in the arse
Wouldn't the pain be a bit further up if you've got a long torso :?