Layering

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rudedog

Layering

Post by rudedog »

Windstoppers, softshells, hardshells, down jackets, down vests, base layers, thermal layers - what have you found to be the most versatile layering system for bikepacking in the UK? Is there any type of 'wonder fabric' that works best for weight vs warmth vs breathability. I've read a lot of good things about Rabs vapour rise products - has anyone got any feedback on them?

Also, do you have any good multiuse items - ie, stuff thats good for use when riding and at when setting up camp etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Layering

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find a lightweight (Pertex etc) wind shirt to be one of the most versatile items. For something that generally weighs less than 100g, they can make a real difference to warmth when riding and stood around.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Firstly, everyone is different and feels the cold/damp/heat more than others. I find if I've been sweating at all then I need to change my base layer shirt ASAP when I stop for more than a few minutes otherwise I get really cold.

The usual advice is to start out quite a bit colder than you think you should be as you'll soon warm up, but you shouldn't get to the point where you are sweating. Obviously there's a balance point between keeping wind and rain out and not overheating. Biking's a bit odd in this regard as you produce masses of heat on the climbs but on the descents you are doing very little work yet moving quickly so you get increased wind-chill, it's the worst of both worlds.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I have a merino base layer that seems to make a massive difference to the amount of cold I'm able to deal with. Still doesn't help that much with windchill though.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

rudedog wrote: Rabs vapour rise products - has anyone got any feedback on them?
I have a Vapour Rise Flex jacket arriving this week - if it's what I expect it to be (i.e. a lighter weight version of paramo kit hopefully more or less, but a heavier weight version pertex) it should replace my Gore paclite hardshell rain jacket. I find I overheat quite easily if the clothes aren't breathable enough, so these days I rate breathability over outright waterproof-ness, and then these clothes dry quickly anyway. I'm not 100% sure how it will cope with say being completely dead of energy and having a puncture whilst it's lashing down - with Paramo stuff whilst wet I stay warm no mater what, I'm hoping this vapour rise will work in a similar fashion.

I think layering is very individual, and indeed your idea of comfort and how it works seems to evolve with time/experience/expectation.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I find that normal outdoorsy layering works well for me

Base layer - merino or synthetic
Mid layer - jersey or something similar, not always worn, depends on the weather
Windproof top - montane smock or something like a howies dyfi. Sometimes just a gilet

Then insulated top and waterproof carried with me

I agree with Stuart, the windproof has the biggest effect, and it's so easy to take on and off, or zip open, that it makes temperature regulation a much easier affair. I almost never ride/walk in a waterproof (though I'll wear paramo for walking if it's cold enough)
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I prefer the Buffalo pile and pertex system for cold wet conditions, it just works really really well. If its warmer and wet, I have a montane minimus smock which I just put over my normal riding stuff.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Is there any type of 'wonder fabric' that works best for weight vs warmth vs breathability
Everyone will have different preferences but the 2 items I like most are an Altura Thermacool, a very thin, light but hugely effective base layer that is comfortable in a wide range of temps and a Montane Prism gilet, often a bit warm for riding hard in but a ride-saver if used under a WP in the wet when you need to keep moving but start to chill. Add a light windproof, a proper waterproof if you expect more than an hour or 2 bad weather and a very breathable (ie not windproof) mid layer and that's enough for most trips for me. The Montane gilet also works well under or over a windproof on big descents or over a thin down jacket at stops/camp. And it makes a good pillow!
I think I've covered most if not all situations with those 6 items (inc the down top for camps) and they pack small, weighs about 1200g in total. I used to use merino a lot, great for day rides but the Thermacool is better for multi-dayers - stays drier/dries faster, is ~1/3 the weight, packs smaller and I can rely on other items to keep me warm if I get wet, mainly the Prism gilet.

Agree with Ben about Buffalo kit, I have an old belay jacket that's a good weight for colder riding and could end up pretty much living in it on a really long trip.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Another nod to the Buffalo system here,been using it for over 20 years,
Use the sleeping bags too,I find the mountain shirt too warm to cycle in
Unless it's freezing, am thinking of the unlined wind shirt next time over
A base layer :smile:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've never actually used my buffalo shirt for a proper ride, it would have to be seriously cold for me to do any major effort in it as I run hot, and it doesn't get that cold down here!

It's a cracking piece of kit though, amazingly robust

I always thought paramo would be great for biking, but I cba with all the washing and proofing when it gets muddy. Easier just to use it for walking.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I wouldn't use a proper buffalo unless it was REALLY cold, so I have one of these http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/product ... ite-shirt/
Its brilliant, but when it comes to replacing it, I'm going to try one of these http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/product ... cle-shirt/
Because its more 'cycling'
jameso

Post by jameso »

The belay jacket is a good compromise, fair bit thinner than the standard tops. Still a bit much for anything but easy touring pace in the cold since I always want to wear a base layer under them, against the Buffalo idea I know but cold wind on the skin is a bit much, liberating perhaps, chilly yes.. Bombproof-reliable jackets though. I found a Berghaus top a few years ago that's a peached polyester fluffy liner with a nylon windproof shell, un-bonded / stithced so it flaps a bit, vents well and the constuction is like a thinned-down Buffalo. Works really well on the bike.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I like merino base layers (except for the price!) and arm warmers. Nice and versatile.

I've got a haglofs vest thing (called the pace) with a full zip and mesh back that's s great riding wind proof. It is actually wind proof and the most breathable garment I've worn. It's not featherweight fabric but I'll pretty much always take it as its so good

Not used recent event waterproofs but goretex active shell is the most breathable (actually in use) waterproof fabric I've worn.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I get very hot too and heard that the Teclite cycle shirt is very warm too,
Hence why I'm thinking just the wind shirt,nice and light/pack able as well,
Worn in conjunction with their sleeping bag will up the rating too :-bd
Drillmaster1

Post by Drillmaster1 »

Rab wind veil pull on and Mountain HardWear ghost whisperer down jacket my two most useful layering items.
Merino wool base layer for multi day rides (don't smell) and waterproof jacket and you're covered for most eventualities.
The wind shirt makes a huge difference despite being very light/thin
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I layer up with merino wool. If it's really cold and windy, I wear a down jacket or if it's wet and windy, I have a Madison flo jacket with a hood that fits over my helmet which I'm loving. The male version is the Madison Addict (better design with additional ventilation)