Stans no tubes valve not sealing.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Stans no tubes valve not sealing.

Post by Ray Young »

I changed my tyres the other day and the front has stayed up fine. The rear however now doesn't want to seal around the valve. I took the valve out again, checked for flaws, cleaned it, checked the valve hole, refitted it but it's still not sealing properly. I have tried tightening the valve nut up hard which helped a bit but the tyre is still only holding about 10 psi after a night. The valves are about 18 months old and I'm going to have another go tomorrow but should I just buy a new one?
Richard G

Re: Stans no tubes valve not sealing.

Post by Richard G »

I had good results regularly shaking mine so as to get some of the goop around the valve. However, mine didn't seem anywhere near as bad as yours seems to be. I'd probably grab another, if just for long term confidence.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Had a similar problem over the winter.
Valve wasn't my problem but the rim tape. I had enough left on my roll to re-tape it and solved the issue. It's held air for the last 5-6 months now.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Retape it. And be careful of how you cut for the valve. I would not rule it out completly but Probably nothing wrong with the valve

Thanks

Cc
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks guys, will try that first.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

I always put my valves in on a small bed of silicon sealant round the hole, dos the trick.
The old git in the yellow socks
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Turns out the valve was at fault after all. There was a split nearly all the way round the rubber where it starts to taper which I hadn't spotted before because it was just below the lip. Not sure how this has happened as it was installed finger tight as per instructions and only stared leaking after I had changed the tyre. The previous one having stayed up no problem for the last seven months or so.
As a couple of people had mentioned rim tape as probably being the culprit I had already gone out and bought some but only after perusing the net for "ghetto tubeless". I ended up buying gorilla tape after a shop raved about it. They used a wide roll and cut it to width for whatever rim they where doing but as my rims are 25mm I bought an off the shelf 25mm wide roll for £2.99 and it worked a treat first time of trying with no apparent leakage anywhere. It's thicker than stans tape which no doubt helps, I recommend it.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Yeah the Gorilla tape is what I used - seems a lot more robust than the stans tape, the 25mm can usually be picked up on amazon for less than £2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001E5ZWT4/r ... 8117MNESP0
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Update on using gorilla tape on tubeless rims. I have just put my winter tyres on today and had to replace the gorilla tape I had used previously as the tyre levers had put a few holes in it and it wouldn't seal. Went up first time after putting a new wrap of gorilla tape round the rim so I'm still pretty pleased with it.