Testing the waters and a quick rescue

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mrhoppy

Testing the waters and a quick rescue

Post by Mrhoppy »

After finally getting the stars aligned with being free and getting appropriate permissions in place, Mark and I got to have our 1st overnighter, the weather wasn't as good as recently but you can't have everything. We set off from Machynlleth at midday on Saturday heading for Nant Syddion bothy.

We wound our way up way onto the ridge with a bit of a stiff breeze and low clouds but the early rain had passed and we stayed dry. We made our way to Nant-y-moch and hooked up onto the Syfyrdin trail.

From there we headed across the moors into nant-yr-arian (where we met the abandoned child) unfortunately arriving after it shut so we set off to get to the pub instead.

We chanced across the most fantastic bit of singletrack into the Rheidol valley which led to the most evil push out to get to Hafod arms. Food and IPA meant we arrived at the bothy moments before we lost all the light and the rain started. The morning was bright sunshine and we were greeted to a wonderful view.

Afyer a lazy start we headed to the red kite cafe for 2nd breakfast. We then retraced our tracks before descending down Glyndwrs way back to Mach under bright blue skies.

Everything seemed to work and my MYOG kit survived but the experience was tainted by a oan unsavory incident as we got onto the moors on Saturday. We found a teenager lost having fallen off his bike and lost from the guided school ride. He'd been separated for about a hour, didn't know where the group started from and didn't have food, drink or waterproofs. We decided to call the police to see if he'd been reported missing, they didn't want a grid reference and seemed to need a post code but we finally got sorted where we were and what was going on when reception dropped out. We decided to take him to the centre as an easily located place but this was a good 10km away. We fed and watered the lad and rode out with him until we met the police 4x4 coming to find us. We left him in there care but we're told by the police the group hadn't noticed he was missing even once they'd got back to their bus parked in the forest. A bit later we bumped into them all and after telling them it was poor (I was biting my tongue) their leader explained it with these things happen! At this point I had to step away to avoid losing it completely, but joked about how it was a good job he got back then as they'd nearly eaten all the food! As the steam came out of my ears we just had to leave.

It was a good weekend, lots of good fun and riding with all the kit on the bike was a better approach for me, we're planning the next one now. But that incident really put a damper on things just thinking of how badly wrong it could have gone.
Taylor

Re: Testing the waters and a quick rescue

Post by Taylor »

Name and shame.
Can't believe you didn't let them have both barrels, I'd have been bloody livid.

Glad the rest of your trip was a success though.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Taylor wrote:Name and shame.
Can't believe you didn't let them have both barrels, I'd have been bloody livid.

Glad the rest of your trip was a success though.
If I lost a kid in my care, out there of all places, I'd be scared stupid.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Totally unacceptable leadership and attitude, that person is an idiot and shouldn't be in charge of anything, how hard is it to do a regular headcount !!! Grrrrr

Glad you enjoyed the rest of it though.
Mrhoppy

Post by Mrhoppy »

I can't name and shame as I don't know who it was, but I've reported it to the Local Authority Education Department with the incident number to get it investigated.
Ray Young wrote:Totally unacceptable leadership and attitude, that person is an idiot and shouldn't be in charge of anything, how hard is it to do a regular headcount !!! Grrrrr
Harder than just making sure the back marker doesn't ride past anyone, but yes, and you'd at least expect them to check when they got back.

But it was a good ride and more being planned, but I like that one as I can fit in eating at a pub in the evening and a full cooked breakfast in the mornin, proper slumming it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Do you know anymore about the group? Can you report it? That is dangerous and unacceptable, he shouldn't be leading a group
Mrhoppy

Post by Mrhoppy »

benp1 wrote:Do you know anymore about the group? Can you report it? That is dangerous and unacceptable, he shouldn't be leading a group
It was reported to the police and his employer I think that's enough for now. I had a phone call this morning from him to thank us for our assistance and assure me that their procedures have been amended.

He still thinks they'd have found him because they know those trails well, sigh!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Well you've done what you can, and you did a good samaritan deed so good work all round!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Peoples attitudes often amaze me.

I spend a lot of time on the tops around Nant y Moch and sometimes bump into DoE / youth groups and their leaders. I usually inquire as to where the groups have been / where they're going and the conversation often goes likes this:

Morning, DoE?

Yeah.

Where are your lot going then?

Er, down this track ... reaching out map from brand new Gelert map case.

I don't envy them going down there.

Why not?

Mainly because it's a 6 mile long bog.

Well it looks okay on the map.

Not really, the map just indicates a ROW exists ... pointing at map.

It says there's a track.

It doesn't.

Oh.

Just tell them to climb 50 metres higher up the banking and they'll avoid the worst of it. There's a sheep track they can follow.

Where's that on the map.

It isn't, they'll just follow the RoW on the map only 50m higher up the hillside.

Oh no, they'll have to follow the map.

Well they're going to get awfully wet feet, there's 3 streams to cross.

Where?

There, there and there ... pointing at map.

Oh.

It usually goes on for quite a while until I realise I'm banging my head against a wall, wish them luck and leave.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

We followed sheep tracks a lot when I did my DofE, because they were going in the right direction and weren't in the bog :-bd
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

That sounds like the track near a favourite little camping spot of mine,
Nice big pool in the stream/ river to swim in (in hot weather :| ),the track in
Question is a proper bog,if it's the same one! :shock:
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Poor leadership. The saddest thing about this story is that the wee lad will probably not be allowed to go off on school trips again as his parents are quite possibly scared rigid. The school may implement a new policy of NO TRIPS because of this. I've seen this happen at my children's school, after ONE young person slipped away and got drunk. I hope the boy will learn the importance carrying some equipment and become a bit more self-reliant.
Well done Mr Hoppy and friend. :-bd
welshpaddler

Post by welshpaddler »

We found an injured sheep some time ago on the Pembs Coast Path. Phoned RSPCA and they asked for post code! Seemed unable to accept grid refce.
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Sadly I think this happens more than we might think. I fished 3 kids out of the river wye a few years back when they upended and swamped their Canadian canoe. A passer by called the emergency services and I was thanked by the fire fighters who attended, but the parents/leaders were oblivious inspite of the packed lunches and other flotsam that was bobbing downstream past them. No BA's or life jackets, good job we were paddling down not far behind them.
@philg1971 Instagram